Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sugar Bowl History

UW will be the first (and last (and therefore only)) Pac-12 team to play in the Sugar Bowl

Comments

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,494
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Hang the banner!
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The Mountain West won a Sugar Bowl

Utah beat Bama. Nobody has ever pointed that out

The only teams in the western US to play in the Sugar Bowl are: Santa Clara, Saint Mary's, Wyoming, Air Force, Hawaii, and Utah
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,816
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I remember Wyoming in the 60s. Jim Kiick played there. A good documentary on the 69 team that was waylaid by racial strife like our 69 Dawgs except Wyoming was unbeaten

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,084
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Mountain West won a Sugar Bowl

Utah beat Bama. Nobody has ever pointed that out

@haie true?
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,322
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

The Peach is fairly recent as a big bowl

On who's timescale? Yours?
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,910
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I remember the Peach Bowl inviting 6-4-1 Indiana teams. I never thought it deserved to be in with the rest.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

whlinder said:

Cool fucking stat!

We're missing the Cotton, I'm sure someone can do an inventory of other teams which have played in all 5/6 (and even won all 5/6), depending on how major the Peach Bowl should be treated.

JoePa won the 5 majors in his era when PSU miraculously defeated Rich Brooks' 10 year plan to virtually win the Rose Bowl Ducks. PSU finished actually undefeated. With PSU making the Peach this year they can claim all 6 major bowls.

Probably a very short and blue blood list of those programs which have been to 5. USC wouldn't be on it with no Sugar and Peach, and Michigan has never played in the Cotton or Peach. Bama, Ohio State and FSU have been to all 6. Georgia to 5, missing the Fiesta. Notre Dame misses the Peach. That's enough looking up for now.

So UW has won Rose and Orange, lost Peach and Fiesta and ? on Sugar?

Fuck that Fiesta loss to Penn State.
    It's hard
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    whlinder said:

Cool fucking stat!

We're missing the Cotton, I'm sure someone can do an inventory of other teams which have played in all 5/6 (and even won all 5/6), depending on how major the Peach Bowl should be treated.

JoePa won the 5 majors in his era when PSU miraculously defeated Rich Brooks' 10 year plan to virtually win the Rose Bowl Ducks. PSU finished actually undefeated. With PSU making the Peach this year they can claim all 6 major bowls.

Probably a very short and blue blood list of those programs which have been to 5. USC wouldn't be on it with no Sugar and Peach, and Michigan has never played in the Cotton or Peach. Bama, Ohio State and FSU have been to all 6. Georgia to 5, missing the Fiesta. Notre Dame misses the Peach. That's enough looking up for now.

I read that Penn State has won all NY6 except the Peach, so they will be the first if they beat Ole Miss. Guessing the Big Ten will have the most since they were contracted with the Rose and Orange

Edit: of course, we know no one in the Pac-12 comes close since we're the first and only for both Sugar and Peach
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

Cool fucking stat!

I read that Penn State has won all NY6 except the Peach, so they will be the first if they beat Ole Miss. Guessing the Big Ten will have the most since they were contracted with the Rose and Orange

Edit: of course, we know no one in the Pac-12 comes close since we're the first and only for both Sugar and Peach
    Once upon a time we we first and only for the Orange

USC joined us
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

whlinder said:

Cool fucking stat!

USC joined us
    USC has won RB, Cotton (over an unranked Texas Tech) and the OB.

They played Penn State in the Fiesta in 1982 and lost.

Oregon only has Ws (and Ls) in the Rose and Fiesta, no other appearances.

So we can join SC as the only P12 programs with wins in 3 P6 bowls (I'm assuming UCLA, ASU, Cal and Stanford haven't done that but haven't looked it up), and the only one to not have a major asterisk on it.

Presumably we can also become the only P12 program to have wins in 3 separate bowls over teams ranked in the top 3 overall:

Rose (#1 Minnesota and 3 Michigan)
    Orange (#2 Oklahoma)
    Sugar (#3 Texas)
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    dnc said:

whlinder said:

Cool fucking stat!

USC joined us

So we can join SC as the only P12 programs with wins in 3 P6 bowls (I'm assuming UCLA, ASU, Cal and Stanford haven't done that but haven't looked it up), and the only one to not have a major asterisk on it.

Presumably we can also become the only P12 program to have wins in 3 separate bowls over teams ranked in the top 3 overall:

Orange (#2 Oklahoma)
    Sugar (#3 Texas)
    Pretty sure Oregon went to Cotton instead of us in 1996 (where they lost to Neu and his Buffs)
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

whlinder said:

Cool fucking stat!

USC joined us

Orange (#2 Oklahoma)
    Sugar (#3 Texas)
    Pretty sure Oregon went to Cotton instead of us in 1996 (where we lost to Neu and his Buffs)
    1995/96 CB

Where *they* got plungered by Neu and his Buffs and their fourth quarter fake punt.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Stanford beat Virginia Tech in the Orange January 2011

Lost the Fiesta to Oklahoma State January 2012

When they were battling Chip

I had to Google
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So that's Rose and Orange

Not 3
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,667
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

whlinder said:

Cool fucking stat!

USC joined us

Orange (#2 Oklahoma)
    Sugar (#3 Texas)
    Pretty sure Oregon went to Cotton instead of us in 1996 (where they lost to Neu and his Buffs)
    I know there is saltiness from this and a pathetic look from Lambo but didn't realize UW actually had a better record so why didn't they go? Also, because of the scheduling, Oregon didn't have to play USC. Credit where credit do for winning in Husky Stadium though.