Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

I hope Brostek redshirts

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
Another player whose freshman year was disgracefully burned by Sark. With the Sarkisian OL cliff looming next year we need all the depth we can get.

Comments

• HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    He had really good numbers at the combine, iirc. Why is he not a stud given his pedigree? Is it all Sark's fault?
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,484 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2014

He had really good numbers at the combine, iirc. Why is he not a stud given his pedigree? Is it all Sark's fault?

Because now he has less time to be a beast and learn how to fucking play from Petersen, dude

Sark played lots of potential beasts before they were ready for the physicality of Pac-12 football. Porter, and to a lesser extent Kohler, come to mind. With a redshirt, they get to play big boy D1 football at a year older than most of the competition. Makes a big difference for people aged 18-23 years old.

Most competent coaches make an effort on redshirting and making sure at least some JC talent gets in. Sark.... not so much.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam

I disagree about him playing well as a freshman. He was terrible, even against Portland State. It's a joke that he was thrown in there in the first place. Ektard told me it was necessary, but it wasn't. Once Brostek struggled, Criste went right back in at RG.

The rest of your post is spot on. Charles, Tanigawa, Atoe, and Tufunga were all ahead of him during Spring Ball. We also have Crane to back up Criste at center and they had Tanigawa getting some reps there during Spring. We are 2 deep at all the interior OL positions and I don't see a need for Brostek. Hopefully he redshirts and competes for a starting job in 2015.

Was he?

Here are the highlights from the Stanford game where he started at RG (FWIW, Criste was starting RT that game, then switched to RG at halftime).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4HN2-XiTeY

Yes, I realize they're bias since they're Husky highlights (and not the whole game, where we could better gauge his performance) but if you look for #60, he does well getting to the second level and engaging LBs. I mentioned before he did well except when it came to pass-blocking, and from those limited clips, you could tell he struggle mightily. It's not like he's Porter or Tanigawa or someone like that, but he did well, especially considering the fact he was a true freshman going against Stanford's front 7.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Do you remember the Stanford game? The OL got destroyed the whole game. We got the ball past the 50 once in the first half because of a 40 yard pass to Kasen down the sideline.

If he was doing well, he would have stayed in after halftime. I also remember a Portland State DT knocking Brostek on his ass and tackling Eric Wilson for a loss. He was a freshman who wasn't anywhere near ready and never should have saw the field.
  • VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    I don't know how many times in recent years this has been hashed out. The bottom line is Sark was a fucking idiot in burning redshirt years for linemen. The fuzzy chinned potential beasts, never had the opportunity to mature physically---joints, ligaments, build muscles, etc. And so many potential monster careers were fucking ruined.

Secondly, Coz was bad for recruiting and never developed our kids. Many on these boards come to his defense, but I think the proof became more apparent once he was gone. Pete isn't having a problem recruiting linemen like Sark/Coz did.

I hate Sark.
    I forgot to answer the question---yes Brostek should redshirt. In fact some others should as well. They need coached up and time with a real strength and conditioning guru, not the faux one who left.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,591
    Brostek redshirts in an ideal world, especially when we have 2 RS-SRs (Atoe and Tanigawa) and 2 RS-JRs (Charles and Tufunga) for 2 OG spots. Could depend on Charles' health and how far Dane Crane developed in his RS year.

I don't see Dolbec starting at RT next year. Probably Andrew Kirkland or even Coleman Shelton would start over Dolbec in 2015.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,109
    It made absolutely no sense to not redshirt Brostek last year and this year is no different. Due to Sark's shitty OL recruiting he's one of the few bridge guys between the 7 5th year Sr guys who graduate after this year and the guys who have never stepped on the field.

One thing is for certain - he's not going to play any meaningful minutes this year. He's like the 5th or 6th guard in the depth chart. Even if he sucks now, it makes sense for depth reasons to RS him

After this year we lose Tanigawa, Atoe, and Criste
    Next year we lose Charles, Tufunga and Brostek if he doesn't RS
    After that you have Andrew Kirkland and a bunch of guys like that who will have hardly played
    Peterman is going "WTF was the USC coach smoking". It's like we had a Trojan horse as a coach, I n intentionally tucking up our future.
  • fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    Vegasdawg said:

Peterman is going "WTF was the USC coach smoking". It's like we had a Trojan horse as a coach, I n intentionally tucking up our future.

He wasn't smoking anything ... He's just a fucking idiot who has gotten lucky at the right time twice.

Praise Allah for Pat HadenFS
  • Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    you all seem to forget, we lost Hindy. Severe blow to the depth.......
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,109

Whats up brahs? Brostek Sr at Sandy's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTFkbrLVYxQ

after the first few seconds I was eagerly waiting for that rat-tail to make a reappearance.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    WtF? Brostek is a junior. If he isn't good by now he won't be. A redshirt year will mean fuckall of nothing. We'll need battle tested seniors next year while our numbers and experience are down (thanks to Sark's massive oline classes.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,920 Founders Club
    Redshirting true frosh lineman is coaching 101. Here's to hoping Sark continues this type of dumbfuckery at USC. Three medical retirements coming right up in LA!
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Nacho what good does it do to RS a junior? Since your dumbass voted down, the floor is yours chump...
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    Again, we desperately need the depth the next two years much more so than this year. Even if he is mediocre. We need bodies.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited August 2014
    If Brostek truly sucks then I will trust the coaching staff if they don't redshirt him. They may want to push him through. If he has no chance of starting or being the first guy off the bench, than that is probably the best move. Ektard and Kim were the ones hyping him up, and it very well could have been to take heat off of Sark's horrendous OL recruiting.

He never should have played in the first place, but you do have to consider the possibility that he was never any good. Cooper Pelleur, Taz Stevenson, Garrett Gilliand, Eric Wilson, Talia Crichton, Sione Potoae. Sark played a lot of guys who had no business playing. Some of them had no business even getting a scholarship. The bottom half of Sark's classes were mostly shit.

Brostek went from 280 to 260 by the end of his freshman year. I truly don't get why he didn't redshirt one of his first two years, but if he can't hold weight and doesn't have the ability, get him through the program, especially if some of the true freshman look like better players. There's no point to hold up a scholarship for a guy who will never contribute.