Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My thought today

Comments

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    koopdog said:

I sort of hate this fucking bored right now.

Crisper
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    And the difference between Petersen and Mora? Petersen could be at UW for 10-15 years. Mora probably goes back to the NFL in the next few years.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,587 Founders Club

And the difference between Petersen and Mora? Petersen could be at UW for 10-15 years. Mora probably goes back to the NFL in the next few years.

Wow, couldn't disagree more on Mora. Why would he abandon the juggernaut he will have built? He's in the realm where he belongs -- college football!
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited August 2014

Wow, couldn't disagree more on Mora. Why would he abandon the juggernaut he will have built? He's in the realm where he belongs -- college football!
    I think the competitor in him wants another chance at the NFL. I don't know if that will be in two years or five, but I see him jumping at some point. Who knows though? It's definitely jumping the gun to say he's building a juggernaut. He's building a very good program, but it's a tough conference and things can change quickly.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,718 Swaye's Wigwam

Why did Petersen abandon the juggernaut he built?
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    It's a good idea to try to get a coach with higher aspirations and hope that he will jump ship to the NFL after 4-5 years, because if he does jump ship, it means you've had some good success. That's one of the differences between Chip Kelly and Helfrich. Kelly wanted more. Helfrich has stated that Oregon is the pinnacle of his career.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,587 Founders Club

You're comparing Boise and UCLA.

I think the competitor in him wants another chance at the NFL. I don't know if that will be in two years or five, but I see him jumping at some point. Who knows though? It's definitely jumping the gun to say he's building a juggernaut. He's building a very good program, but it's a tough conference and things can change quickly.
    By all accounts he's a loyal guy, his wife loves LA, and if he builds something special that's something to savor not abandon for the Not For Long league.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

By all accounts he's a loyal guy, his wife loves LA, and if he builds something special that's something to savor not abandon for the Not For Long league.
    I just don't see Mora at UCLA for a long time. I think another 4 years at most but thats just an opinion.

I do think that one great thing about Petersen we haven't acknowledged is its very likely UW could be his last job. Having a great coach for 4-5 years is one thing but then having a great coach for potentially 10-15 years is another.
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986

You're right. His last experience with the Hawks may have soured any aspirations to rejoin the NFL.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Mora won't last long in UCLA anyways. He's rubbing everyone the wrong way down there.

Only a matter of time before he is door.ass.out.

That is all probably true, but if a good franchise comes calling with 6-8 million per year and some say over personnel decisions, he's gone. If he makes a couple playoff appearances or wins a title, he will get those kind of offers. How long do you think he stays at UCLA?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited August 2014

That is all probably true, but if a good franchise comes calling with 6-8 million per year and some say over personnel decisions, he's gone. If he makes a couple playoff appearances or wins a title, he will get those kind of offers. How long do you think he stays at UCLA?
    I don't think this is a foregone conclusion at all. Lots of guys have come back to the college game and never returned to the NFL - Saban, Spurrier, Petrino, etc. Sure it's debatable if they had the option to return to the NFL or not, but it's not out of the realm of possibility by any means. Even a guy like Carroll might still be at USC if it weren't for the sanctions (sorry Hooks). If Mora's successful he could very possibly stay at UCLA for a long time which would be very interesting.

Or he could head back to the NFL which would also be interesting.

EWIWBI.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754

Great point.

BCS Bowls wins:

Boise = 2 UCLA = 0

vs. Oregon last 10 years:

Boise = 2-0

UCLA = 2-10

You are right, no comparison.

dnc said:

I don't think this is a foregone conclusion at all. Lots of guys have come back to the college game and never returned to the NFL - Saban, Spurrier, Petrino, etc. Sure it's debatable if they had the option to return to the NFL or not, but it's not out of the realm of possibility by any means. Even a guy like Carroll might still be at USC if it weren't for the sanctions (sorry Hooks). If Mora's successful he could very possibly stay at UCLA for a long time which would be very interesting.

Or he could head back to the NFL which would also be interesting.

EWIWBI.
    I don't think it's a foregone conclusion either, but I do think a jump to the NFL is more likely than him coaching for 15 years at UCLA. Petrino and Spurrier will probably never get another sniff from the NFL (Spurrier is too old at this point). I doubt Saban will go back to the NFL, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. He has talked about the pressure and the expectations at Alabama wear on him at times, something to the extent that winning is a relief and not fun anymore.

While I thought it was stupid for the Seahawks to give the head coaching job to the DB coach of the worst passing defense in the NFL, Mora got shoved out after one year. He probably feels he got a raw deal. The Seahawks made a great, franchise changing decision, but no coach could have done well with the roster Mora had. The roster sucked and it took Carroll two years to completely gut it and make it formidable again. I have a hard time believing all of this doesn't wear on Mora in some way and make him want another chance to do things his way.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,010 Founders Club
    Saban, Spurrier, Petrino and Holtz were all college coaches who went to the NFL and back to college so they're not the right comparison.

Mora and Carroll were NFL first then college. Carroll obviously went back to the NFL and that was after he built a juggernaut and was the perfect fit as a college coach.

I'm not saying Mora = Carroll so don't go twisting.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,736 Founders Club
    Pete Carroll changed the equation with the job he has done at freaking Seattle. Pete was a two time NFL loser as well but the third time has certainly been the charm. That could intrigue Mora as well. Guys like that have a lot of pride. Getting fired after one year could leave an itch that needs to be scratched. Saban on the other hand said fuck off NFL I can get paid at Bama and not have to put up with NFL players.

In 2007 during our original Mora podcast we said that his type of coaching is perfect for guys that are only there 2-4 years. I don't think it works as well year after year in the NFL with men. But I probably thought the same thing when Carroll went back to the NFL. 5 years in he seems to still have their ear and a system that looks good for years to come.

My point was there were three great coaches in the Pac 12 when we had shit. They are gone and we have a coach. USC, Oregon, Stanford are no different from anyone else. The head coach matters. I think we have a coaching advantage and I am old enough to remember how much that mattered. Some of you weren't even born.
  • SweatpantsGeneralSweatpantsGeneral Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,105 Swaye's Wigwam

Great point.

BCS Bowls wins:

Boise = 2 UCLA = 0

vs. Oregon last 10 years:

Boise = 2-0

UCLA = 2-10

You are right, no comparison.

...and to think....

Some used to say you had this place dialed in.

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    re: Mora at UCLA, there won't be a warning - just gone.