Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Film Study with Teq

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
edited November 2023 in Hardcore Husky Board
So I hear a lot about how Oregon is just so much better than UW and the UW offense is struggling and blah blah blah ...

I think it's probably fair to say that UW hasn't executed well over the last couple of weeks but it ignores the fact that there are some very fundamental things that UW does offensively that really messes with Oregon defensively.

At it's core, Oregon wants to ATTACK defensively ... they aren't wanting to play dropped coverages keeping things in front of them (in contrast that's often when UW plays its best defense). Ideally they want to bring pressure and force quick throws where they can play downhill and keep their DBs off of islands (it's probably the overall weakness of their defense).

In the video below, fast forward to the 2:38 mark which is where Polk scored the TD on a corner route against Oregon. This play is highly illustrative of the problems that UW forces on Oregon's defensive identity:

https://youtu.be/EvwGGmb9El0?si=AmnxuSRhlJCkp_fe&t=158

Pre-snap, you have 3 receiving options on the top end of the formation including Rome and Westover. I think at this point it goes without saying that more often than not you're going to try to put safety help over the top of Rome to help against the explosive plays. At the bottom of the formation, you have Polk lined up on the line of scrimmage in a stacked alignment.

What you need to pay attention to pre-snap with Oregon is the 2 LBs ... both are in theory protecting against the inside slant routes from the top/bottom of the formation. But as we all should know, most defensive alignments aren't necessarily straightforward.

The key to this alignment is the bottom side of the formation. The CB on Rome is in a press situation. The WR behind Polk is in a spot where any outside release creates massive leverage in any man relationship with the LB. With the S over the top at 10 yards, you're either getting a zone coverage with Polk against the S (likely a win) OR a man coverage with no deep help as the S is playing man and is protecting against any outside route by the slot WR behind. Also important to note here is that the opposite S is highly favoring giving over the top help in a man situation with the LB taking on Westover or is likewise going to be playing man with the LB focused on inside help. In either event, there's absolutely zero help against Polk on any deep route from the hashes to the sideline ... that's a TON of space.

If you run the play a few seconds you see a few things:

The LB and S on Polk's side are effectively bracketing the slot WR to take away any quick throw and leaving Polk 1 on 1

The DB on Polk actually does a decent job but he's put in a terrible situation because Rule #1 in that situation is to not allow yourself to get beat to the middle ... which helps to create additional separation for Polk on the corner route

The opposite S is actually playing CF on that side of the ball protecting against any deep throw to Rome ...

If you look at Westover against the LB ... watch Westy turn him inside out ... there's a big play there as well if Penix threw it

This is a great example of how UW can scheme against Oregon in the passing game and how Oregon's desire to attack can really be used against themselves.

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,522
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Will Polk still make that catch this Friday?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    3:22 into the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvwGGmb9El0

Here's a situation where Oregon is showing pressure with one of their ILBs in a balanced 2x2 formation with a RB

Oregon's playing softer coverage at the top of the screen which is signaling that there's likely pressure coming and playing a zone behind it for safety ... BTW, it's not a given in Oregon's defense that they are playing coverages on both sides of the field that are supportive of each other (see the Polk TD above)

What stands out in this play is how both CBs at the line of scrimmage do a pretty bad job of disguising man versus zone ... at the top he's not showing any kind of press coverage leading up the snap and while the CB at the bottom of the formation does show press to start he can be seen bailing out right before the snap

This is a HUGE indicator of zone coverage coming BEHIND a blitz ...

And as promised, right before the snap the ILB off the LOS starts to declare his intention of coming and leaves any slant behind him WIDE open

That's an EASY pitch and catch to Rome for 15

• Options

Will Polk still make that catch this Friday?

Doesn't necessarily have to be Polk ...

Could be Bernard (who I think has a chance to have a huge game)

Giles who burned them for a TD early

McMillan
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvwGGmb9El0

Speaking of the Giles TD (at 1:26) ...

Another great example of finding the right mix of play call against what the defense is showing ...

Oregon's showing pressure here with all of the LBs showing blitz options

Polk's motion here brings eye candy down to a quick throw in either the WR game or flat in a situation where there's a chance to outnumber Oregon's defense ... particularly against a blitz

Oregon's not going to give up those easy throws/gains so this becomes the biggest risk to them and you're going to get safety rotation towards that threat ...

At this point, Giles SHOULD NOT be a major threat as you've got a zone look behind with a CB with outside leverage and a S in the middle ... on the surface Oregon is in good shape here

At the snap you see the Oregon S walk down to take Polk's motion and by default that's going to draw the opposing S more towards the middle of the field

What makes this play is obviously Giles pushing the CBs leverage TOWARDS the boundary by running straight at the CB creating additional width in the throwing lane to the safety ...

But just as critical to this play is Westover running a post route forcing the attention of the S towards him ... that attention combined with Giles creating that width creates a pretty clean alley for Penix to make a relatively easy throw for him

BTW, this concept of leveraging 2 routes against a single safety and forcing the S to declare his coverage and Penix throwing to the opposite one also showed itself in the Utah game on Rome's TD where Penix effectively threw it flat footed. From my vantage point in the end zone in the football ops section with the play right in front of me it was very easy to see in real time in what effectively an All 22 view the complex positions that the passing game can cause against opposing DBs by manipulating coverages and responsibilities. It's not uncommon for them to be unable to make a correct decision when things are firing correctly.
  • Options
    vadawg said:

All means nothing if Penix can’t hit the broad side of a barn. Add to that what Anus said.

I tend to be less concerned about the recent performance than others ... some to most of it I can explain

I'd be much more concerned if I couldn't explain it
  • Options

I think @Tequilla and I are in general agreement as to the outcome

He has broken it down and analyzed it. I go from the gut

Washington wins this game

The thing that just keeps showing itself to me over and over is that for Oregon to play how they want to (FAST) they will put themselves in spots where we're able to dictate mismatches and put them in compromising positions ... moreover given that our OL play is generally pretty good with 2 T's that will play on Sunday's their ability to run us over with blitzes (like they can do to others) is less of a concern

Our shifting and motion really causes them problems and you can see over and over how it forces them to think through their assignments and often leaves them out of position

Playing zone coverages is really against their DNA and there are some massive gaps when they play off

This is obviously just one side of the ball ... but anybody that thinks that UW can't move and score effectively on Oregon hasn't watched the last 2 games at all

It's why I've said on Twitter/X that I'm fascinated in trying to understand what Oregon changes up coming in ... my sense is that they think they've been unlucky when it comes to the last 2 losses and they just need to clean up what they can control and they win. I'm not sure that it's that easy because it completely glosses over that there are a number of things Washington can look at and say they would like to clean up as well.
  • Options
    Seven_ElevenSeven_Eleven Member Posts: 109
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2023
    I feel far less confident about this game with Tequilla walls of texts. Take it somewhere with more brain cells.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,983
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

The thing that just keeps showing itself to me over and over is that for Oregon to play how they want to (FAST) they will put themselves in spots where we're able to dictate mismatches and put them in compromising positions ... moreover given that our OL play is generally pretty good with 2 T's that will play on Sunday's their ability to run us over with blitzes (like they can do to others) is less of a concern

Our shifting and motion really causes them problems and you can see over and over how it forces them to think through their assignments and often leaves them out of position

Playing zone coverages is really against their DNA and there are some massive gaps when they play off

This is obviously just one side of the ball ... but anybody that thinks that UW can't move and score effectively on Oregon hasn't watched the last 2 games at all

It's why I've said on Twitter/X that I'm fascinated in trying to understand what Oregon changes up coming in ... my sense is that they think they've been unlucky when it comes to the last 2 losses and they just need to clean up what they can control and they win. I'm not sure that it's that easy because it completely glosses over that there are a number of things Washington can look at and say they would like to clean up as well.
    ASU and wazzu have caused issues with blitzing the middle and constantly showing it also. I bet they follow that. Either way it will be interesting.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,396
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    WSU rambling gambling defense was there to be taken advantage of

Like Oregon's
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,396
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Should add that no one especially Arizona had trouble with the ASU defense like Washington did
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,928
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is big time. Win and you’ve won the last meaningful pac-12 championship. Win and you punch a ticket to the semi against a future conference rival.

Even bigger, this is my 14 yr olds first dawg game. Win and you have a fan for life who will spawn other dawg fans.

Just win!
  • Options
    bisonduckbisonduck Member Posts: 714
    5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2023
    Tequilla said:

So I hear a lot about how Oregon is just so much better than UW and the UW offense is struggling and blah blah blah ...

I think it's probably fair to say that UW hasn't executed well over the last couple of weeks but it ignores the fact that there are some very fundamental things that UW does offensively that really messes with Oregon defensively.

At it's core, Oregon wants to ATTACK defensively ... they aren't wanting to play dropped coverages keeping things in front of them (in contrast that's often when UW plays its best defense). Ideally they want to bring pressure and force quick throws where they can play downhill and keep their DBs off of islands (it's probably the overall weakness of their defense).

In the video below, fast forward to the 2:38 mark which is where Polk scored the TD on a corner route against Oregon. This play is highly illustrative of the problems that UW forces on Oregon's defensive identity:

Pre-snap, you have 3 receiving options on the top end of the formation including Rome and Westover. I think at this point it goes without saying that more often than not you're going to try to put safety help over the top of Rome to help against the explosive plays. At the bottom of the formation, you have Polk lined up on the line of scrimmage in a stacked alignment.

What you need to pay attention to pre-snap with Oregon is the 2 LBs ... both are in theory protecting against the inside slant routes from the top/bottom of the formation. But as we all should know, most defensive alignments aren't necessarily straightforward.

The key to this alignment is the bottom side of the formation. The CB on Rome is in a press situation. The WR behind Polk is in a spot where any outside release creates massive leverage in any man relationship with the LB. With the S over the top at 10 yards, you're either getting a zone coverage with Polk against the S (likely a win) OR a man coverage with no deep help as the S is playing man and is protecting against any outside route by the slot WR behind. Also important to note here is that the opposite S is highly favoring giving over the top help in a man situation with the LB taking on Westover or is likewise going to be playing man with the LB focused on inside help. In either event, there's absolutely zero help against Polk on any deep route from the hashes to the sideline ... that's a TON of space.

The LB and S on Polk's side are effectively bracketing the slot WR to take away any quick throw and leaving Polk 1 on 1

The DB on Polk actually does a decent job but he's put in a terrible situation because Rule #1 in that situation is to not allow yourself to get beat to the middle ... which helps to create additional separation for Polk on the corner route

The opposite S is actually playing CF on that side of the ball protecting against any deep throw to Rome ...

If you look at Westover against the LB ... watch Westy turn him inside out ... there's a big play there as well if Penix threw it

This is a great example of how UW can scheme against Oregon in the passing game and how Oregon's desire to attack can really be used against themselves.

Polk beat a 3x2 set. The safety helping underneath was more likely the problem than the structure of the defense.

Oregon didn’t get out leveraged here due to philosophy.
  • Options
    bisonduck said:

Tequilla said:

Polk beat a 3x2 set. The safety helping underneath was more likely problem than the structure of the defense.
    You're missing the point if you think that that's the case

The 3x2 set by Oregon was a mirage based on the positioning

The LB was protecting against any inside route over the middle ... you're crazy if you think that the LB has responsibility for a WR to the outside in that formation

Regardless of whether or not you want to say that the CB at the LOS had underneath responsibilities OR the S had that ... the reality was that it was going to be 1 on 1 to any deep route there and the question was who was going to be responsible for covering it

What Oregon was banking on in that situation was taking away any short and intermediate routes and forcing UW to beat them over the top ... which on that day and last year they did often.

Now, on Friday, Oregon will likely again be faced with choosing coverages that keeps the ball in front of them or forces UW to beat them over the top. Given the "struggles" of Penix as of late I suspect that Oregon will ask Penix to once again beat him over the top.

The point of these views is to highlight how UW can leverage formation, motion, and execution to create angles and easier throws against Oregon based on the coverages that Oregon provides.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    bisonduck said:

Tequilla said:

Polk beat a 3x2 set. The safety helping underneath was more likely the problem than the structure of the defense.

Oregon didn’t get out leveraged here due to philosophy.

• Options
    bisonduckbisonduck Member Posts: 714
    5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

bisonduck said:

Tequilla said:

Polk beat a 3x2 set. The safety helping underneath was more likely problem than the structure of the defense.

The LB was protecting against any inside route over the middle ... you're crazy if you think that the LB has responsibility for a WR to the outside in that formation

Regardless of whether or not you want to say that the CB at the LOS had underneath responsibilities OR the S had that ... the reality was that it was going to be 1 on 1 to any deep route there and the question was who was going to be responsible for covering it

What Oregon was banking on in that situation was taking away any short and intermediate routes and forcing UW to beat them over the top ... which on that day and last year they did often.

Now, on Friday, Oregon will likely again be faced with choosing coverages that keeps the ball in front of them or forces UW to beat them over the top. Given the "struggles" of Penix as of late I suspect that Oregon will ask Penix to once again beat him over the top.

The point of these views is to highlight how UW can leverage formation, motion, and execution to create angles and easier throws against Oregon based on the coverages that Oregon provides.
    At the end of the day, perfect offense beats perfect defense. It's just an odd play to show aggressiveness when you have a 4x3 set up top and a 3x2 set on the bottom here.

That's Tysheem at the linebacker spot, which is a safety.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    bisonduck said:

Tequilla said:

bisonduck said:

Tequilla said:

At the end of the day, perfect offense beats perfect defense. It's just an odd play to show aggressiveness when you have a 4x3 set up top and a 3x2 set on the bottom here.

That's Tysheem at the linebacker spot, which is a safety.