Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Penix & wr speculation

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,991
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

If he looked even remotely hurt in any of the last five games I might believe it. But he's looking physically fine - no limping (he's actually initiating contact more than ever before), his throwing mechanics look normal, and his arm strength is 100% there.

I think this is 100% on Grubb. I'm not smart enough to know the finer details here, but Penix looks like he's being asked to make elite throws with a consistency that not even NFL starters regularly achieve. And this is snowballing into frustration and the elite throws are devolving into huge whiffs. Grubb needs to give his QB some easy buckets to get back on track. And apparently he needs to do this in five days.

He had started using his legs and they had even called qb runs in the red zone the last two games prior to wazzu. He didn't scramble much if at all on Saturday. The most puzzling thing was his inaccuracy as it really hasn't been an issue for two years and then it was horrible for the apple cup. Could be injury related but who knows.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

If he looked even remotely hurt in any of the last five games I might believe it. But he's looking physically fine - no limping (he's actually initiating contact more than ever before), his throwing mechanics look normal, and his arm strength is 100% there.

I think this is 100% on Grubb. I'm not smart enough to know the finer details here, but Penix looks like he's being asked to make elite throws with a consistency that not even NFL starters regularly achieve. And this is snowballing into frustration and the elite throws are devolving into huge whiffs. Grubb needs to give his QB some easy buckets to get back on track. And apparently he needs to do this in five days.

I agree with this. Penix is overthrowing dudes, not underthrowing them. Usually hurt Qbs loft up Ducks.

Penix was also LEAPING into the air multiple times after good, or bad, plays.

I think he is just stressed the fuck out by our insanely difficult schedule literally filled with high pressure moments in close games.

The team will either grow from that trial by fire or be exhausted.

I'm not betting against DeBoer.
    Hell of a time to have a mental breakdown.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,608
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Fishpo31 said:

He had started using his legs and they had even called qb runs in the red zone the last two games prior to wazzu. He didn't scramble much if at all on Saturday. The most puzzling thing was his inaccuracy as it really hasn't been an issue for two years and then it was horrible for the apple cup. Could be injury related but who knows.
    I'm a baseball guy, but throwing is throwing, and we are talking about velocity and accuracy...

As pitchers fatigue, the command/control is the first tell...misses are arm-side, and high. That is what I've been seeing with MP

If a pitcher has a "tweak", ie: something doesn't feel right, it most definitely affects his commitment to the pitch. Pitchers are not taught to throw to the target, they are taught to throw through the target, full commitment, extension and finish. He hasn't had that commitment since Oregon...lots of back-shoulder stuff and feathering balls, but I haven't seen the heater into the tight window like before.

Any glitch in the delivery system derails it...even slight pain (not just in the arm), anticipation of pain, or recent history of pain is a factor. It is why many Tommy John guys take 18-24 months to rehab...the injury is repaired and healed, but they don't trust that it won't bark if they cut it loose. TJ guys that make it all the way back are some of the toughest MF'ers in sports, mentally, because they have to re-learn to throw, then re-learn to pitch, and then trust it.

IF Mike has shoulder issues, I'm betting it is on the back side, in the muscles that control deceleration...he looks the same, but isn't finishing the fastball off. If he has rib issues, it is in anticipation of the stab at the finish.

My 2 scents...

I’ve been rewatching the earlier games and he was a different guy. Up through the first half of Oregon.

Very crisp and playing in rhythm hitting guys with velocity and touch, in stride.

I tend to think at the least he’s physically and mentally fatigued. Every pass is an adventure.
  • Options
    TheHB said:

I think a lot of poasters are physically and mentally fatigued.

I think Penix is as disgusted as the average poster.
  • Options
    I recall the staff gave Penix a lot of off days during fall camp due to some kind of arm issue (precautionary style, but still).

Just beat Oregon and he can rest for a month.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    jecornel said:

I have zero insight on this but I’m wondering if Mike is so banged up they are limiting practice reps to the bare minimum. The offense is so out of sync it could be a real possibility.

If Grubb doesn’t design a game plan to make his life easier on Friday there will be seppuku on the forum.

That might explain his crying in a supply box.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

TheHB said:

I think a lot of poasters are physically and mentally fatigued.

I think Penix is as disgusted as the average poster.
    Postgame presser Deboer comes out with some borderline Petersen lines about cleaning stuff up.

2 minutes later Penix keeps saying the offense isnt good enough and they need to be better.
  • Options
    bisonduckbisonduck Member Posts: 714
    5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2023
    Kaepsknee said:

jecornel said:

I have zero insight on this but I’m wondering if Mike is so banged up they are limiting practice reps to the bare minimum. The offense is so out of sync it could be a real possibility.

If Grubb doesn’t design a game plan to make his life easier on Friday there will be seppuku on the forum.

That was some weird shit. He looked like he left in a body bag. The double entendre was palpable. That offense has no gas in the tank.
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 589
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

The guy is hurt and has been playing through it... last year and the first games of 2023 he was throwing dimes with absolute accuracy at a rate of 78% [first 6 games this year, don't know the number for last year] and now he is throwing even short passes with an adventure to be hauled in by the receivers. So he is HURT and has been playing through it. Yes he ahs still made some big plays, but his accuracy is obviously not the same and its not in his head, its his body which is undoubtedly affecting his headspace as well, but it the body he has been struggling with. Could not be more clear ~ at least that is my take.

I'd be shocked if he's not hurt in some capacity at least. If he goes two full seasons at UW without ever missing a single play due to injury that's a win.
    He missed a play during the ASU game last year
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,606
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I think Penix & Co have a game left in them.
    bisonduck said:

Kaepsknee said:

jecornel said:

That was some weird shit. He looked like he left in a body bag. The double entendre was palpable. That offense has no gas in the tank.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

The guy is hurt and has been playing through it... last year and the first games of 2023 he was throwing dimes with absolute accuracy at a rate of 78% [first 6 games this year, don't know the number for last year] and now he is throwing even short passes with an adventure to be hauled in by the receivers. So he is HURT and has been playing through it. Yes he ahs still made some big plays, but his accuracy is obviously not the same and its not in his head, its his body which is undoubtedly affecting his headspace as well, but it the body he has been struggling with. Could not be more clear ~ at least that is my take.

What exactly is hurt? And why, if he's hurt, are we continuing to keep the high-difficulty playbook intact while he also runs more than he has since he was at Indiana?
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,297
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    So, we all assume 2016 Brownsox got dinged up against Cal (I think?) and never put up the same passing splits. Which from a numbers perspective is true, he had a clear delineation from elite numbers back to just good.

Penix seems to have had the same occur with his splits before and after Oregon.

Brownsox never got right of course, even with a month off before the Peach Bowl.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,606
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I believe his ribs are the problem. It’s playing through pain. Thus creating inconsistent accuracy.

What exactly is hurt? And why, if he's hurt, are we continuing to keep the high-difficulty playbook intact while he also runs more than he has since he was at Indiana?
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,353
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The point Gatorz made is a good one. If his ribs are hurt, why doesn’t the game plan reflect it?