Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Oregon State now favored

13»

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,571
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Oregon St is really difficult to judge given their schedule to date ...

They've missed so far UW, Oregon, and USC ... the best offenses that they've played is some mix of Arizona, Wazzu, and Cal. Some might say Colorado but they are far from balanced. Arizona is probably the closest team they've played that has some expectation of being able to be balanced and Wazzu from an explosive standpoint in the passing game.

Wazzu: 29 of 35 for 422 in the passing game
    Arizona: 25 of 32 for 275 passing

They've generally been good against the run but both Cal and UCLA gashed them on the ground so there's probably some opportunities there - particularly if they play some form of drop coverage.

There's a little more to go off of when looking at good defenses playing against Oregon St in looking at the Utah, UCLA, and Arizona defenses. Utah slowed them fairly significantly whereas they had some decent success against UCLA and Arizona. The key with slowing down Oregon St is limiting the big plays in the passing game as they lead the conference (conference games only) in yards per completion - when they hit they hit for big plays. Accuracy is a significant problem though as they've only been hit at over 60% in completion percentage in 3 of the 7 conference games and the only game materially over 60% being against Cal and EVERYBODY throws against Cal.

Our sloppiness on D giving up big plays the last 2 weeks is a concern, but generally speaking, one of the strengths of our defense has been in limiting big plays. If we can get back to that formula against the Beavs, we should be able to slow them down a fair amount. On offense, I don't really see a statistical area where I see Oregon St being a material concern ... probably the closest comparable is Arizona and we generally moved the ball with relative ease against them. One area that the Beavs do excel is in creating turnovers so we'll have to continue to be sharp.

My sense is that if we have our shit together, we should be fine. The gaps in their secondary to me paint the picture of them having to pick their poison and we just need to be willing to take what they give.

tldr version: it's beavlet.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,609
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    CatGut said:

Wilner hates UW with the passion of 1000 suns
    For all his backhanded comments, Wilner has UW #3 (behind only Georgia and Ohio St.) and Oregon at #6 in his latest AP ballot. He's a strange cat.
    He wishes his precious Cal was like UW
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Weren't the Cougs favored in the snowy Apple Cup in 2018?
  • Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

If true then this has to be a historical first time ever thing to happen to a 10-0 top 5 team in November

Since this is just based on betting ratios, I think there is a chance that some of those placing bets got confused about which OSU the Huskies are playing. Lots of cfb fans east of the Rockies don't even know there are two OSUs.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

If true then this has to be a historical first time ever thing to happen to a 10-0 top 5 team in November

Last year Michigan was 11-0 ranked #3 and was an 8 point underdog to Ohio State.
    I should have been more specific. See Catgut's post. You left out the part about Ohio State being undefeated. But touche' nonetheless.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Last year Michigan was 11-0 ranked #3 and was an 8 point underdog to Ohio State.
    He said 10-0.
    thank you
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Since this is just based on betting ratios, I think there is a chance that some of those placing bets got confused about which OSU the Huskies are playing. Lots of cfb fans east of the Rockies don't even know there are two OSUs.
    Lol at betters 5 reasoning themselves
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Swaye said:

How bizarre would it be to see a headline, "Fifth-ranked Huskies Upset Beavers to Stay Undefeated"

The only headline worth writing is "Penix pounds the Beaver"
    Penix Pounds Beavers so Hard the Dam Explodes
    Dawgs Penix Pounds Beavers with Late Push
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,644
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

OSU favored by 2 now. I love this shit. I’ve never bet on sports, but I’d moneyline the fuck out of UW with my life savings, except Vegas doesn’t take guns, ammo, or state employee pension IOUs.

You just need to learn your way around Vegas. Plenty of gambling opportunity for non cash assets there if you know who to talk to.

I'm in the same boat so put me in touch if you find anyone.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Let's not forget that this isn't even their super bowl. The week after they play a top 10 ducks team for the last time as conference foes which imo should take up a huge portion of their grease.

Not that it matters because a top 5 UW is not losing to Beav
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Sounds like a lot of easy money to be made guys!