Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Listening to a Chris Petersen interview right now

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,485
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited July 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
Says he's been frustrated a bit by the fact that every single aspect of the way Sark coached the players is different from the way he wants them coached. He says every single aspect of taking over this team has been from scratch. He said his assistants sometimes say "how can the players not know that?"

Comments

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,497
    Which interview is this?

And did he provide any details or specifics?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Espn podcast. He didn't say anything beyond that. Said it in a way that overtly didn't seem to slam Sark.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    I didn't take it as negative as perhaps you did. However, I also recognize that Petersen is a gentleman, and will never make critical comments in public. What you heard is probably the worse it will get.
  • Options
    Thanks.

You know, I've always enjoyed Ivan Maisel as a writer, but his podcasts/videos on ESPN are always a bit slow and awkward. That said, I think this is probably one of his better interviews.

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,495
    Founders Club

Says he's been frustrated a bit by the fact that every single aspect of the way Sark coached the players is different from the way he wants them coached. He says every single aspect of taking over this team has been from scratch. He said his assistants sometimes say "how can the players not know that?"

This is not too surprising. Looks like the previous staff just expected to recruit players and throw them on the field without any guidance. They didn't teach them anything, hoping that the players would improve/learn on their own.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,737
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2014
    Passion said:

I didn't take it as negative as perhaps you did. However, I also recognize that Petersen is a gentleman, and will never make critical comments in public. What you heard is probably the worse it will get.

Yeah I also took it as simple frustration that they're switching to completely different philosophies.

I also liked that he said something to the effect of, "Part of the reason we came here was because they love their football in Seattle." It's encouraging to know that a coach can say something about the fervor of the fanbase without resorting to some fucktard comparison to Don James and without it coming across as lip service.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    haie said:

Passion said:

Yeah I also took it as simple frustration that they're switching to completely different philosophies.

I also liked that he said something to the effect of, "Part of the reason we came here was because they love their football in Seattle." It's encouraging to know that a coach can say something about the fervor of the fanbase without resorting to some fucktard comparison to Don James and without it coming across as lip service.
    At first I heard it as frustration about switching to different philosophies, but when he said something like "even all the way down to how they approach the weight room we've had to retrain them" I read between the lines to what I think he was really saying there.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,197
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Every coach and/or assistant that has walked through the doors at UW has bitched about the previous staff....without fail.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Thanks.

You know, I've always enjoyed Ivan Maisel as a writer, but his podcasts/videos on ESPN are always a bit slow and awkward. That said, I think this is probably one of his better interviews.

I've been listening for years, Maisel's got his own interview style but I enjoy the podcast. When Beno Cook was still alive, those shows were great. The new slapdick they added in the last year as Ivan's co-host is annoying as hell.
  • Options
    OZONEOZONE Member Posts: 2,510
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    I like your coach and all, and his Duck heritage, and I think Sark is a shitty coach (wish you would have kept him)... but the fact remains... Sark and his shitty coaching beat Pete and his great coaching last year... and it was pretty much a beat down.

I guess even Pete has down years.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,737
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    OZONE said:

I like your coach and all, and his Duck heritage, and I think Sark is a shitty coach (wish you would have kept him)... but the fact remains... Sark and his shitty coaching beat Pete and his great coaching last year... and it was pretty much a beat down.

Agree, it doesn't look good at all that Sark beat down Petersen. The reality is that we had more to play for, they'd just beaten us, and Sark basically pinched off a giant loaf of superior talent, and when you're that much faster than your opponent it makes your bubble screen shit look like there's thought put into it. See the previous bowl game for a better comparison.
  • Options
    haie said:

OZONE said:

Agree, it doesn't look good at all that Sark beat down Petersen. The reality is that we had more to play for, they'd just beaten us, and Sark basically pinched off a giant loaf of superior talent, and when you're that much faster than your opponent it makes your bubble screen shit look like there's thought put into it. See the previous bowl game for a better comparison.
    Yeah, Sark destroyed Petersen and BSU in 2013. Sark isn't a bad coach and finally put together a team that had a good offense and a good defense.

However, the overall record between the two is still 1-1 with Petersen outcoached Sark in the Las Vegas Bowl.

I think one of the issues with BSU is that they lost too many of their assistants over the years. Petersen has a great eye for evaluating coaching talent but lost coaches each off-season when bigger, better programs would poach them. From 2009-2012, he saw a change at OC or DC every year (Wilcox to Kwiatkowski, Harsin to Pease, Pease to Prince). BSU fans say Petersen made a huge mistake in promoting Ron Prince after Brent Pease went to Florida, and the offense became unimaginative and less-explosive, not to mention the drop in talent in offensive personnel. I think Petersen realized that and that's why he promoted Smith to OC instead of retaining Prince. Smith had a successful stint at Montana as OC for 2 years, so there's some experience there.

Another is the level of talent and returning starters between the two seasons. Petersen's Las Vegas Bowl team was senior-heavy and Sark's team struggled on offense with 'trust issues' in 2012. Advantage BSU. In 2013, BSU was looking at a lot of new starters, especially on defense, and Sark switched to the HUNH offense which worked beautifully for him. Not only that but Sark recruited well and we had superior talent across the board. Advantage UW.

So the hope is, especially among all the Husky fans, is that Petersen will be able to keep his assistant coaches here longer and continue to recruit well and develop talent. I think those two were the issues that were apparent in BSU's loss to UW.
  • Options
    kh83kh83 Member Posts: 596
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    Classic confirmation bias.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Thanks.

I've been listening for years, Maisel's got his own interview style but I enjoy the podcast. When Beno Cook was still alive, those shows were great. The new slapdick they added in the last year as Ivan's co-host is annoying as hell.
    Beano Cook died at least a decade before podcasts were invented.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    To go along with the mention about Petersen losing his touch when he lost assistants I totally agree. I remember someone on twitter (One of the national writers) saying while he was watching the BSU/UW game last year, "It's almost like you can see Petersen's eyes saying, 'Crap, I really have to do this all by myself'".

Plus, I just don't think his team was all that talented last year, he would probably tell you the same.