Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What DeBoer Is

A very good small-time coach. And by all appearances, an affable fellow who can relate to kids well. Good on him.

I know nothing about his tenure at SD Ag & Mining, other than overall record, but I do know some about small college football. A good scheme, a couple great athletes, can make an outsized difference. Talent at coaching and playing diffuses greatly at that level. If you can concentrate some of that talent, you can win big, at least for a while.

Much has been made of DeBoor championship system, but it sure as hell appears to be a one-phase system.

Maybe DeBoor can transition to a successful big time coach. But the dynamics are very, very different than SDA&M or even Fresno.

The stress fractures are widening. Tick tick tick.

Comments

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

A very good small-time coach. And by all appearances, an affable fellow who can relate to kids well. Good on him.

I know nothing about his tenure at SD Ag & Mining, other than overall record, but I do know some about small college football. A good scheme, a couple great athletes, can make an outsized difference. Talent at coaching and playing diffuses greatly at that level. If you can concentrate some of that talent, you can win big, at least for a while.

Much has been made of DeBoor championship system, but it sure as hell appears to be a one-phase system.

Maybe DeBoor can transition to a successful big time coach. But the dynamics are very, very different than SDA&M or even Fresno.

The stress fractures are widening. Tick tick tick.

Agree.
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,989

I’d love nothing more than PGOS et al rubbing this all over my face after beating Georgia.

Same. My inner doog is beaten down with PTSD.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited October 2023
    Doesn’t he already have more wins against ranked teams at UW than Petersen did?

I exagerate. But if you take out games against WSU, Peterson was like 8-16. Deboer is 5-0.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    def he is small time, but he does have odd luck. does not get tight in close games and figures out a way to roll in the mud and get shitty wins.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    FireCohen said:

def he is small time, but he does have odd luck. does not get tight in close games and figures out a way to roll in the mud and get shitty wins.

And lucky is better than good. If luck wins out, so be it.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,252
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

Very much this, petermen always lost these kinds of tight games against shit opponents. Deboner wins them....but we seem to be having a lot of them.
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,989
    TheHB said:

Muttzen said:

A spicy take - I disagree.

We are outplaying our overall talent level thanks to the QB - WR tandem that DeBoer has brought in / developed. That was his doing - and it has paid dividends.

The rest of our team looks good enough to win when everything is clicking smoothly, but we clearly don't have the depth of say, Oregon.

Next year will tell us quite a bit about how much this year was about catching everything just right. Looking ugly or not, we are the last undefeated team in Pac-12 history.

Will we continue to improve development? can we improve recruiting? will we find another star QB?

This year and last year could have been good, and yet somehow, this could be a Helfrich-esque facade. But i think him bringing in Penix, and having it click shows that DeBoer et al. have a system that can work, and they have a track record of making it work.

This is why I’m not in favor of giving DeBoer a $10M contract until we see what happens next year.
    We have to pay him.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

FireCohen said:

Very much this, petermen always lost these kinds of tight games against shit opponents. Deboner wins them....but we seem to be having a lot of them.
    winning is a skill. he seems to have it. hope he figures out a way to make defenses pay for blitzing
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,931
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Muttzen said:

A spicy take - I disagree.

We are outplaying our overall talent level thanks to the QB - WR tandem that DeBoer has brought in / developed. That was his doing - and it has paid dividends.

The rest of our team looks good enough to win when everything is clicking smoothly, but we clearly don't have the depth of say, Oregon.

Next year will tell us quite a bit about how much this year was about catching everything just right. Looking ugly or not, we are the last undefeated team in Pac-12 history.

Will we continue to improve development? can we improve recruiting? will we find another star QB?

This year and last year could have been good, and yet somehow, this could be a Helfrich-esque facade. But i think him bringing in Penix, and having it click shows that DeBoer et al. have a system that can work, and they have a track record of making it work.

Helfrich was an assistant. DeBoer was an a up and comer with HC experience.

I agree though with your take mostly though especially as it relates to depth. We’ve gotta some dudes back in the lineup.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I picked something like 5 wins last year, because of an appearance of a shortage of talent, and said anything we got out of a 4-serious-injuries Penix was a bonus. It appears what we got is 1.5 great seasons.

What's left when he's gone? McMillan, maybe? Some unproven QB? The same lack of running game and general mediocre OL? The same shitty defense that cannot tackle? (I'd like to think he makes some coaching changes, but teams that win ~10 games usually don't.)

It'll be a really interesting case for DeBoer. He's never struggled as a head coach, only had success. Not counting the silly 2020 "season", he's got a whopping 1 home loss in his career.

He's won enough to get a year to see what he can put together in our first season in the B1G. If he doesn't, I'll be calling for his head too.