Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Offense

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,665
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I want Washington to win the job because he has the same name as the uni and state!

WOOF!

That way when he's burnin' fools they can see wut state just left them in the fucking dust

Fuck, Ross needs to let him have #1 as his jersey number now

GO DAWGS
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,073
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Please refer morons to this thread when they bitch about the lack of football talk at HH. Then light them on fire. Fuckers.
  • Options
    seatownfunkseatownfunk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 802
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    D-dubs gonna give the U-dub some FREE PUB!!!

While I stare at sloppy titties at the dub pub
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    So you judged Coleman, Fred ' s 6th cousin, by mop of time in the spring game Beater? Just feel thankful we don't have to watch Alexis trip over his feet and MO Shaw weeble-wabble his way outside tackle anymore. Shit we need Fotheringill back.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

So you judged Coleman, Fred ' s 6th cousin, by mop of time in the spring game Beater? Just feel thankful we don't have to watch Alexis trip over his feet and MO Shaw weeble-wabble his way outside tackle anymore. Shit we need Fotheringill back.

All I said was I'm not sure how good he will be this year. Care to enlighten me?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sean Sweat and Fotheringill were really heady, hard nosed players.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    You would think that Miles has the inside track to start - but nobody really knows. What we do know though is of the 3 candidates he's the one with game experience. Against UCLA, he was a bit overwhelmed in my eyes and tried to play outside of his comfort level which made sense given the score and probably not expecting to play going into the week. The following week against Oregon St, he made the plays that he needed to do and didn't play outside of himself by trying to do so much. That's a very positive trait for a young QB. If he doesn't start, then I trust that one of the other QBs has proven to be better than Miles. I don't expect that we'll have a massive drop with the new QB over Price. While Price's experience will be missed, I didn't think that he did a good job of throwing receivers open or throwing to them in a way that allowed them to rack up YAC yards (how many times have you seen receivers have to fall to the ground on Price throws or stop, wait, catch, and then get drilled). Moreover, I felt that Price had a tendency to hang onto the ball way too long in the pocket and when you come that with an inability to escape the pocket and run, you had a huge problem with what was effectively a statue of a QB that lacked the size to be able to take those hits. And before anybody goes twisting, Keith Price was the least of our problems being 5-4 in conference last year.

With both Polk and Sankey, we've had 5 straight years of talented RB play. I don't know who will end up starting but I know that there's a lot of depth and talent at the position. I'm not worried about this position at all.

I feel the same way about the OL with the experience coming back there. They've displayed an ability to run block and I expect that that will be the focus of our offense. I do expect the pass blocking to be a bit better not only due to improved coaching, but improved mobility out of the QB position.

The WR/TE position will be the area that I have the most questions about. How healthy is Kasen? If Kasen isn't capable of being a 5-8 catch a game player, which WR steps up as a go to player. Darrell Daniels has a chance to step up and make a large impact.

I expect the defense to be better than the offense. The offense doesn't need to be a Top whatever offense for this team to be highly successful. I expect the defense to give up 24 or less points most weeks so that's the barometer I set for the offense - need to get to 24 points. I like the set up of the schedule with 4 shitty exhibition non-conference games prior to Stanford, then a bye, then Cal before we get to Oregon and the more difficult portion of our schedule. After 6 games, we should be in a position where we have more answers to the questions than questions remaining.

Really, the two big issues to me are as follows:

1) The offense needs to protect the football as the defense is the strength of the team - see the Seahawks for how they protected their defense by not putting them in poor positions.

2) I am worried about our ability to finish drives that stall w/ FGs as well as our ability to consistently punt and not give up piss poor field position.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,696
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

You would think that Miles has the inside track to start - but nobody really knows. What we do know though is of the 3 candidates he's the one with game experience. Against UCLA, he was a bit overwhelmed in my eyes and tried to play outside of his comfort level which made sense given the score and probably not expecting to play going into the week. The following week against Oregon St, he made the plays that he needed to do and didn't play outside of himself by trying to do so much. That's a very positive trait for a young QB. If he doesn't start, then I trust that one of the other QBs has proven to be better than Miles. I don't expect that we'll have a massive drop with the new QB over Price. While Price's experience will be missed, I didn't think that he did a good job of throwing receivers open or throwing to them in a way that allowed them to rack up YAC yards (how many times have you seen receivers have to fall to the ground on Price throws or stop, wait, catch, and then get drilled). Moreover, I felt that Price had a tendency to hang onto the ball way too long in the pocket and when you come that with an inability to escape the pocket and run, you had a huge problem with what was effectively a statue of a QB that lacked the size to be able to take those hits. And before anybody goes twisting, Keith Price was the least of our problems being 5-4 in conference last year.

With both Polk and Sankey, we've had 5 straight years of talented RB play. I don't know who will end up starting but I know that there's a lot of depth and talent at the position. I'm not worried about this position at all.

I feel the same way about the OL with the experience coming back there. They've displayed an ability to run block and I expect that that will be the focus of our offense. I do expect the pass blocking to be a bit better not only due to improved coaching, but improved mobility out of the QB position.

The WR/TE position will be the area that I have the most questions about. How healthy is Kasen? If Kasen isn't capable of being a 5-8 catch a game player, which WR steps up as a go to player. Darrell Daniels has a chance to step up and make a large impact.

I expect the defense to be better than the offense. The offense doesn't need to be a Top whatever offense for this team to be highly successful. I expect the defense to give up 24 or less points most weeks so that's the barometer I set for the offense - need to get to 24 points. I like the set up of the schedule with 4 shitty exhibition non-conference games prior to Stanford, then a bye, then Cal before we get to Oregon and the more difficult portion of our schedule. After 6 games, we should be in a position where we have more answers to the questions than questions remaining.

1) The offense needs to protect the football as the defense is the strength of the team - see the Seahawks for how they protected their defense by not putting them in poor positions.

2) I am worried about our ability to finish drives that stall w/ FGs as well as our ability to consistently punt and not give up piss poor field position.

check the facts, bro
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nice post Tequilla. I understand what you are saying about the Seahawks, but the difference is the Seahawks have a dominant defense. While we should have a good defense, it's not going to be at that level. There will be games where we need more than 24 from the offense if we expect to win.

Great point about kicker and punter. We haven't talked about Kicker and Punter lately, but losing Coons is a concern. We will almost certainly play in some close games this year. Hopefully we have reliable guys at those spots.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    By no means am I suggesting that the Dawg defense is the same as the Hawks defense. The Hawks defense is the best in football for probably the last 5-10 years. Even if the Dawgs hit what I think that they COULD get to this year as the best in the conference, there's no way that they'll go down as the best in the conference/nation in the last 5-10 years.

The big question mark is in the secondary on defense. When you figure that the first 6 games contains 5 teams we should wipe off the field, and the 6th being a Stanford team that plays right into our strength of the front 7, by the time we're pressed with a top caliber QB in this conference that can hurt us, the secondary should be in a spot where they are no longer young. The other thing that I like about the secondary is while there may be some inexperience, there's a lot of talent there. I expect that we'll see a mistake from here and there very similar to what we saw with Peters when he was a RS Frosh ... 90-95% of the time you can't tell the difference and then he'll make a play where you go "oye, a Frosh."

We've got enough talent to beat at least half of our schedule regardless. The other half of the schedule our wins/losses will in large part be determined by making sure that the offense doesn't fuck over the defense with turnovers or special teams giving short fields.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,073
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    For the first time in ages I actually feel like our special teams might be special.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,696
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

For the first time in ages I actually feel like our special teams might be special.

Special teams, preventing turnovers, discipline.....not Seven's forte.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Disagree.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Am I the only one that misses a good Willie Hurst spin move??

• Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,142
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Am I the only one that misses a good Willie Hurst spin move??

No, I also miss the paul arnold hype, that was the hypiest hype i'd ever seen.