Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Found out why Stanford wasn't invited to the Big X

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,002
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    How is it football related?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    It's in the title!
  • Options
    GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,349
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,307
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Just more democrat love for Jews.
  • Options
    This is about students and their particular views. It's a leap to go from this to "Democrats hate Jews".
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is about students and their particular views. It's a leap to go from this to "Democrats hate Jews".

Just some of them
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Just some of them
    I got news for you old man, which actually isn't news because you know it too: there are plenty of conservatives who aren't particularly fond of Jews either. Just some of them though. Unfortunately for the Jews, their popularity isn't something that follows political lines all that religiously.
  • Options
    georgiaduckgeorgiaduck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,571
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Why does it seem like so many in higher education are prone to antisemitic views? Did Fawn Liebowitz decline to make a pot for them?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,586
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Just some of them
    I got news for you old man, which actually isn't news because you know it too: there are plenty of conservatives who aren't particularly fond of Jews either. Just some of them though. Unfortunately for the Jews, their popularity isn't something that follows political lines all that religiously.
    You can either choose Jews or Muslims, you can't have both.

Dems choose Muslims because they are less white
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

To the extent that you have a political party in power that does hate the Jews, which party would that be?
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter

Just some of them
    Call me when the GOP gives an overt anti-Semite a prime time speaking slot at their party's convention.

• Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,906
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

Just some of them
    Plenty is probably true but misleading. I'm conservative and know lots of conservatives and none of them have a Jewish problem. Jews that are democrats are a big problem but not because they are Jewish. I don't detest Marx because he was Jewish. I've worked with Muslims and our West Linn community had several Iranian expats who were about as Muslim as I am. They all drank. Kind of did the Ramadan thing, sort of like semi-agnostic Jews do the Passover thing or Christians who go to Easter Service and call it good. But, Israel and Palestine was a topic that you didn't bring it up. Like NeverTrumpers, they are reflexively against it.

Egyptian Actor dude is living the fine Western life and his women aren't in burkas but ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1CAtjYVdDc&t=166s
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Just some of them
    Call me when the GOP gives an overt anti-Semite a prime time speaking slot at their party's convention.

I will!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    SFGbob said:

To the extent that you have a political party in power that does hate the Jews, which party would that be?
    I'm not sure, but that seems like a rhetorical question. I don't think we have a political party that hates Jews. I think a lot of people have a weird issue with Jews, and it goes back a ways. Antisemitism has been around for a long time, and shared by many.

Political support for Israel, especially today, isn't a litmus test for how people feel about the Jews IMO. Given the animals who want to wipe Israel from existence, it's hardly surprising to me that there are a lot of people who side with Israel. Just consider the competition.
  • Options

Why does it seem like so many in higher education are prone to antisemitic views? Did Fawn Liebowitz decline to make a pot for them?

I think it's generally two things. First, our universities admit people from all over the world. You're going to find Muslims and people actually from the middle east on most major US campuses. The other thing is that college-aged kids like to be contrarians and take the view that the mainstream don't take. They like to antagonize their parents. They like to be outspoken and argue. They love to engage in this "ally" shit and support people they like to think of as oppressed. It's performative for a great many students. They're mostly full of shit and drop their nonsense when running around Nantucket. The outting of the Harvard group has them freaking the fuck out. Like, what, you want to support this notion that Israel had it coming, but you don't want your fucking name out there so you can still be hired by Morgan Stanley? Fuck off. Own it. Now that they are aware that people don't want to hire people who spout off shit like that you just watch them change their tune. There's not a one of them who is going to pack it and fly over there to help their poor Palestian friends. It's just young adults who are full of shit. Yeah, there are professors who peddle the same shit, but I don't think they represent the majority. The Stanford lecturer has been fired or put on leave.

I've educated three women. We spent the summer of George Floyd arguing. A lot. Now even the youngest is paying taxes and rent and car insurance and dealing with dipshits at work. Real life is settling in. Guess what? We don't argue nearly as much, and when they need money and get it from me, they are super grateful, thank me profusely, have become much more frugal, etc. Fuck, you would think when I was writing $65,000 checks that they would have worshipped me. Now, they jump for joy when I send them a few hundred to help them out with this and that.

Again, going from that to the Democratic party hates Jews just seems like an over-statement.

Love the Liebowitz reference. The roommate scene with Otter still gives me wood.
  • Options

Just some of them
    Plenty is probably true but misleading. I'm conservative and know lots of conservatives and none of them have a Jewish problem. Jews that are democrats are a big problem but not because they are Jewish. I don't detest Marx because he was Jewish. I've worked with Muslims and our West Linn community had several Iranian expats who were about as Muslim as I am. They all drank. Kind of did the Ramadan thing, sort of like semi-agnostic Jews do the Passover thing or Christians who go to Easter Service and call it good. But, Israel and Palestine was a topic that you didn't bring it up. Like NeverTrumpers, they are reflexively against it.

Egyptian Actor dude is living the fine Western life and his women aren't in burkas but ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1CAtjYVdDc&t=166s
    My only point is that the Jew thing is something that all kinds of people have, and I assume it's mostly learned in family or whatever. Wanting big government, big welfare states, big taxes, the unwinding of binary gender, and abortions for everybody isn't intellectually tied to hating Jews on any intellectual basis of which I'm aware. I've known plenty of people who dislike the Jews, and they've been of all stripes.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think it's generally two things. First, our universities admit people from all over the world. You're going to find Muslims and people actually from the middle east on most major US campuses. The other thing is that college-aged kids like to be contrarians and take the view that the mainstream don't take. They like to antagonize their parents. They like to be outspoken and argue. They love to engage in this "ally" shit and support people they like to think of as oppressed. It's performative for a great many students. They're mostly full of shit and drop their nonsense when running around Nantucket. The outting of the Harvard group has them freaking the fuck out. Like, what, you want to support this notion that Israel had it coming, but you don't want your fucking name out there so you can still be hired by Morgan Stanley? Fuck off. Own it. Now that they are aware that people don't want to hire people who spout off shit like that you just watch them change their tune. There's not a one of them who is going to pack it and fly over there to help their poor Palestian friends. It's just young adults who are full of shit. Yeah, there are professors who peddle the same shit, but I don't think they represent the majority. The Stanford lecturer has been fired or put on leave.

I've educated three women. We spent the summer of George Floyd arguing. A lot. Now even the youngest is paying taxes and rent and car insurance and dealing with dipshits at work. Real life is settling in. Guess what? We don't argue nearly as much, and when they need money and get it from me, they are super grateful, thank me profusely, have become much more frugal, etc. Fuck, you would think when I was writing $65,000 checks that they would have worshipped me. Now, they jump for joy when I send them a few hundred to help them out with this and that.

Again, going from that to the Democratic party hates Jews just seems like an over-statement.

Love the Liebowitz reference. The roommate scene with Otter still gives me wood.

Ok.
  • Options

Ok.
    Overstatement. BLM Chicago can't even get the phrase right.