Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Found out why Stanford wasn't invited to the Big X

2»

Comments

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2023

SFGbob said:

This is about students and their particular views. It's a leap to go from this to "Democrats hate Jews".

To the extent that you have a political party in power that does hate the Jews, which party would that be?
    I'm not sure, but that seems like a rhetorical question. I don't think we have a political party that hates Jews. I think a lot of people have a weird issue with Jews, and it goes back a ways. Antisemitism has been around for a long time, and shared by many.

Political support for Israel, especially today, isn't a litmus test for how people feel about the Jews IMO. Given the animals who want to wipe Israel from existence, it's hardly surprising to me that there are a lot of people who side with Israel. Just consider the competition.
    But you do have a political party that's populated with more overt anti-Semites than the other major political party. There's no GOP equivalents to Sharpton, Omar, Jefferies, Talib. Hell, nearly the entire CBC is lousy with anti-Semites. Obama spent 20 year in a Jew hating church, there's nothing comparable on the GOP's side of the aisle.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,562
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    At the risk of sounding like an ancient goat herder I think the reason for millennia of hatred of the Jews is because the Bible is true

The most obvious answer can be the right answer

In that context it does extend far beyond modern politics. So I agree with my Cubano friend on that

As an evangelical christian (don't laugh) I also believe that supporting Israel is part of what we do and who we are in direct contrast to centuries of THE church treating Jews like Muslims do today

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,914

At the risk of sounding like an ancient goat herder I think the reason for millennia of hatred of the Jews is because the Bible is true

In that context it does extend far beyond modern politics. So I agree with my Cubano friend on that

As an evangelical christian (don't laugh) I also believe that supporting Israel is part of what we do and who we are in direct contrast to centuries of THE church treating Jews like Muslims do today

Agree to the extent that we (the people) should support the Israeli people. However, we (the people) are no more obligated to support the government of Israel than we are to accept the actions of our own.

Conversely, we (the people) should support the basic human rights of Palistineans while strongly condemning the actions of the terrorist government (Hamas).

Both Netanyahu and Hamas can be open to condemnation.

• Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,969
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

Agree to the extent that we (the people) should support the Israeli people. However, we (the people) are no more obligated to support the government of Israel than we are to accept the actions of our own.

Conversely, we (the people) should support the basic human rights of Palistineans while strongly condemning the actions of the terrorist government (Hamas).

Netanyahu isn't oppressing the Palis. Their largely worthless citizenry and Hamas leadership are fully responsible for any oppression. For some reason, Israel isn't oppressing Egypt and Jordan and wasn't oppressing Syria until ISIS and Iran got involved.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,562
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Peace has been on the table for 70 years

Times up
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,914
    edited October 2023

Netanyahu isn't oppressing the Palis. Their largely worthless citizenry and Hamas leadership are fully responsible for any oppression. For some reason, Israel isn't oppressing Egypt and Jordan and wasn't oppressing Syria until ISIS and Iran got involved.
    Don't believe there was any mention of Netanyahu oppressing Palis.

Simply believe there are some holes in the tale of supposedly the greatest intelligence agency in the world caught with their pants down. Don't trust Netanyahu any more than Dick Cheney.

Don't trust the Hamas government either. Hopefully the Pali people wake up from their hypnosis just like hopefully the US liberals wake up from theirs.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited October 2023
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

This is about students and their particular views. It's a leap to go from this to "Democrats hate Jews".

To the extent that you have a political party in power that does hate the Jews, which party would that be?
    I'm not sure, but that seems like a rhetorical question. I don't think we have a political party that hates Jews. I think a lot of people have a weird issue with Jews, and it goes back a ways. Antisemitism has been around for a long time, and shared by many.

Political support for Israel, especially today, isn't a litmus test for how people feel about the Jews IMO. Given the animals who want to wipe Israel from existence, it's hardly surprising to me that there are a lot of people who side with Israel. Just consider the competition.
    But you do have a political party that's populated with more overt anti-Semites than the other major political party. There's no GOP equivalents to Sharpton, Omar, Jefferies, Talib. Hell, nearly the entire CBC is lousy with anti-Semites. Obama spent 20 year in a Jew hating church, there's nothing comparable on the GOP's side of the aisle.
    Sure. That's fine. And if that means Democrats hate Jews, so be it. I don't hold @Swaye in the Tug and the Oregon Bros are free to use that particular generalization if it works for them. I'm just saying that people who have issue (often generalized and unarticulated) with the Jews, in my experience, cross all kinds of boundaries - political, economic, regional, national and religious. The key word in your post is "overt". Yes, I personally know several hard right folks who are critical of the Jews. There's Israel and the issue with Islam, and that issue binds all of kinds of us because many people feel about the Arab middle east as do I, and most people here. That's that issue. "The Jews" is of course related, but also a separate issue. Ideas about the Jews and money, global influence and control, banking, etc. simply isn't unique to the Democratic party or liberal mindedness. And I don't believe this simply because of, say, a MTG and one of her more bizzaro cartoon comments about Jewish laser beams and Rothschild conspiracies. I assume everything she says and does is either for political theater or a result of the real crazies. Then again, I've always viewed Sharpton and that crew through the same lens as I view her: charlatans or crazy, or both.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,969
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

Don't believe there was any mention of Netanyahu oppressing Palis.

Simply believe there are some holes in the tale of supposedly the greatest intelligence agency in the world caught with their pants down. Don't trust Netanyahu any more than Dick Cheney.

Don't trust the Hamas government either. Hopefully the Pali people wake up from their hypnosis just like hopefully the US liberals wake up from theirs.

The Mossad doesn't like Netanyahu. Like I said, our intelligence agencies hated JFK more than the loved the US. Same feelings toward Trump. Look at the 51 traitors that signed off on Hunter's laptop as Russian disinformation. I would trust but also verify Netanyahu. I still think he is an Israeli first unlike the midget in Ukraine who is happy grifting his way to the ruin of his country.