Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

"Accidentally" Legal Prostitution in Rhode Island decreased rape & STDs

Comments

• oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited July 2014

I realize my audience here, but legalized prostitution is pretty sleazy. Where exactly do you draw the line in terms of legalizing non violent crimes?

They don't draw lines. HTH. Utility and the morality of the market. It's probable they would legalize murder if it led to a drop in the national murder rate. If they presented stats that suggested that might be the case, their leader might say, "On balance the costs to society are much higher with prohibition."
    PurpleJ said:

It's always nice to get the government involved in and profiting from the sexual exploitation trade.

Kind of like how they sin tax the shit out of cigarettes and alcohol.

EL. OH. EL.
    Kinda like that. Yeah.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

How the experiment of legalization of prostitution failed in Germany:

spiegel.de/international/germany/human-trafficking-persists-despite-legality-of-prostitution-in-germany-a-902533.html

Germany legalized prostitution 10 years ago. Legalization of prostitution in Germany has led to, among other problems:

Increase in migrant sex workers

Significant increase in sex trafficking

Working conditions for prostitutes have worsened, including reductions in wages

No reduction in crime associated with the profession

Little to no oversight of brothels and pimps due to a reduction in raids

Germany now has the odious distinction of being a "center for the sexual exploitation of young women from Eastern Europe, as well as a sphere of activity for organized crime groups from around the world," says Manfred Paulus, a retired chief detective from the southern city of Ulm.

Conformation bias much?
    edited July 2014

It's always nice to get the government involved in and profiting from the sexual exploitation trade.

How about leave consenting adults alone and let them life how they want...not how you want.
    It's not about what I want. I don't care what consenting adults do. I don't care if they fuck prostitutes. I don't care if people use hard drugs. It's a personal choice. However some things need to stay in the shadows, not brought out into the open and be legalized, legitimatized and normalized. Legalization of prostitution will cause more harm than good. Germany's got the data to prove it.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    There are other countries with legal prostitution, you know
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,125 Founders Club
    edited July 2014
    Lots of people in the US fuck prostitutes legally every day (or less, sometimes much, much less). It's called marriage.

How the experiment of legalization of prostitution failed in Germany:

spiegel.de/international/germany/human-trafficking-persists-despite-legality-of-prostitution-in-germany-a-902533.html

Germany legalized prostitution 10 years ago. Legalization of prostitution in Germany has led to, among other problems:

Increase in migrant sex workers

Significant increase in sex trafficking

Working conditions for prostitutes have worsened, including reductions in wages

No reduction in crime associated with the profession

Little to no oversight of brothels and pimps due to a reduction in raids

Germany now has the odious distinction of being a "center for the sexual exploitation of young women from Eastern Europe, as well as a sphere of activity for organized crime groups from around the world," says Manfred Paulus, a retired chief detective from the southern city of Ulm.

Conformation bias much?
    Looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't bother to read articles.

How about leave consenting adults alone and let them life how they want...not how you want.
    It's not about what I want. I don't care what consenting adults do. I don't care if they fuck prostitutes. I don't care if people use hard drugs. It's a personal choice. However some things need to stay in the shadows, not brought out into the open and be legalized, legitimatized and normalized. Legalization of prostitution will cause more harm than good. Germany's got the data to prove it.
    Sounds like you care.

Conservatives and liberals are two sides of the same coin.. Liberals are all about pro choice..unless it's choosing to do something they disagree with. Conservatives are all about having the government out of our lives, expect for things they want to control. Fucking hypocrites.

This is relevant in this thread why?

Sounds like you care.
    I want the US to compete with Germany and become the sex trafficking hub of the world. I want the border to be completely open so that migrant sex workers from Latin America can be more easily exploited. On balance this will be better for society.

-Damone
    edited July 2014
    OBK, the king of the logical fallacy
    edited July 2014
    PurpleJ said:
    Feministire - that sounds like a legit, unbiased source. Der Spiegel or Feminist Ire. Hmm. Tough choice.

Conservatives and liberals are two sides of the same coin.. Liberals are all about pro choice..unless it's choosing to do something they disagree with. Conservatives are all about having the government out of our lives, expect for things they want to control. Fucking hypocrites.

This is relevant in this thread why?
    W.JW

PurpleJ said:
    Feministire - that sounds like a legit, unbiased source. Der Spiegel or Feminist Ire. Hmm. Tough choice.
    Yep. Logical fallacy king. It's like your trying to be a cliche.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,125 Founders Club

PurpleJ said:
    About the authors:

Sonja Dolinsek is a graduate student in Contemporary History and Philosophy at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. Her research project focuses on the history of prostitution in the German Federal Republic since 1949, with a particular interest in the gendered construction of sex workers. She is also the founder and editor of the German news blog on human trafficking “menschenhandel heute”, where she critically engages with anti-trafficking discourses and practices. She also volunteers as a translator for PICUM (Platform for International Cooperation on Migrants). She lives in Berlin, Germany.

Matthias Lehmann is an independent German researcher currently based in Berlin after extensive stays in East Asia. A graduate of the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) and Kyung Hee University, he has conducted research and fieldwork in Thailand and South Korea. In 2012, he participated in the Sex Workers’ Freedom Festival in Kolkata, official hub of the 2012 International AIDS Conference. His research focus lies on the collateral damage caused by anti-trafficking and anti-prostitution legislation, in particular where the rights of sex workers and migrants are concerned. With his on-going research project, he aims to add to the knowledge about the experiences of sex workers in South Korea.

Sounds like the people who wrote that are a hell of a lot more credible than you. Maybe you should give it a read. You might learn a thing or two.
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:
    About the authors:

Sonja Dolinsek is a graduate student in Contemporary History and Philosophy at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. Her research project focuses on the history of prostitution in the German Federal Republic since 1949, with a particular interest in the gendered construction of sex workers. She is also the founder and editor of the German news blog on human trafficking “menschenhandel heute”, where she critically engages with anti-trafficking discourses and practices. She also volunteers as a translator for PICUM (Platform for International Cooperation on Migrants). She lives in Berlin, Germany.

Matthias Lehmann is an independent German researcher currently based in Berlin after extensive stays in East Asia. A graduate of the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) and Kyung Hee University, he has conducted research and fieldwork in Thailand and South Korea. In 2012, he participated in the Sex Workers’ Freedom Festival in Kolkata, official hub of the 2012 International AIDS Conference. His research focus lies on the collateral damage caused by anti-trafficking and anti-prostitution legislation, in particular where the rights of sex workers and migrants are concerned. With his on-going research project, he aims to add to the knowledge about the experiences of sex workers in South Korea.

Sounds like the people who wrote that are a hell of a lot more credible than you. Maybe you should give it a read. You might learn a thing or two.
    Sounds like you're getting things mixed up. I didn't write the Der Spiegel article. My credibility is irrelevant in this case. I'm just conveying points from their research.