Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Daniel Lanois -- Ma Jolie Louise

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    @Doog_de_Jour is gonna have to help with all this Frenchiness.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,545
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think that is leaning towards cajunese

Stalin is expanding to Cajun music - a favorite genre of mine, good one
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,065
    Founders Club
    LebamDawg said:

Daniel Lanois is from the Gatineau Peninsula in Canada

It's basically a tragic song. He met a girl and said here's where I live, come marry me.
    Then he worked for years all day in the sun
    But then he got laid off and couldn't find work

The bottle became his best girl
    The kids and wife left him and moved to near Toronto

And now he spends his days in his basement hanging out on HardcoreAlouette.com and complaining about the Montreal football team and Justin Trudeau.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    Founders Club

LebamDawg said:

It's basically a tragic song. He met a girl and said here's where I live, come marry me.

And now he spends his days in his basement hanging out on HardcoreAlouette.com and complaining about the Montreal football team and Justin Trudeau.
    Story as old as tim.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

The Cajuns moved to Louisiana from Canada iirc. Acadians they were called, if I look it up I could be more accurate but why do that? My Ma's family was from Louisiana but many relatives remained in Canada. French Canadiens then moved to the logging areas of British Columbia. As a kid, we vacationed up in Powell River with all the Canuck Cajuns.
    OK I looked it up
    From Wikipedia
    The Cajuns (/ˈkeɪdʒənz/; French: les Cadjins or les Cadiens [le ka.dʒɛ̃]), also known as Louisiana Acadians (French: les Acadiens),[3] are a Louisiana French ethnicity mainly found in the U.S. state of Louisiana.
    While Cajuns are usually described as the descendants of the Acadian exiles who went to Louisiana over the course of Le Grand Dérangement, Louisianians frequently use Cajun as a broad cultural term (particularly when referencing Acadiana) without necessitating descent from the deported Acadians. Although the terms Cajun and Creole today are often portrayed as separate identities, Louisianians of Acadian descent have historically been known as Creoles.[4] Cajuns make up a significant portion of south Louisiana's population and have had an enormous impact on the state's culture.[5]
    While Lower Louisiana had been settled by French colonists since the late 17th century, many Cajuns trace their roots to the influx of Acadian settlers after the Great Expulsion from their homeland during the French and British hostilities prior to the French and Indian War (1756 to 1763). The Acadia region to which many modern Cajuns trace their origin consisted largely of what are now Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island plus parts of eastern Quebec and northern Maine.
    Since their establishment in Louisiana, the Cajuns have become famous for their French dialect, Louisiana French, and have developed a vibrant culture including folkways, music, and cuisine. Acadiana is heavily associated with them.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    LebamDawg said:

LebamDawg said:

The Cajuns moved to Louisiana from Canada iirc. Acadians they were called, if I look it up I could be more accurate but why do that? My Ma's family was from Louisiana but many relatives remained in Canada. French Canadiens then moved to the logging areas of British Columbia. As a kid, we vacationed up in Powell River with all the Canuck Cajuns.
    OK I looked it up
    From Wikipedia
    The Cajuns (/ˈkeɪdʒənz/; French: les Cadjins or les Cadiens [le ka.dʒɛ̃]), also known as Louisiana Acadians (French: les Acadiens),[3] are a Louisiana French ethnicity mainly found in the U.S. state of Louisiana.
    While Cajuns are usually described as the descendants of the Acadian exiles who went to Louisiana over the course of Le Grand Dérangement, Louisianians frequently use Cajun as a broad cultural term (particularly when referencing Acadiana) without necessitating descent from the deported Acadians. Although the terms Cajun and Creole today are often portrayed as separate identities, Louisianians of Acadian descent have historically been known as Creoles.[4] Cajuns make up a significant portion of south Louisiana's population and have had an enormous impact on the state's culture.[5]
    While Lower Louisiana had been settled by French colonists since the late 17th century, many Cajuns trace their roots to the influx of Acadian settlers after the Great Expulsion from their homeland during the French and British hostilities prior to the French and Indian War (1756 to 1763). The Acadia region to which many modern Cajuns trace their origin consisted largely of what are now Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island plus parts of eastern Quebec and northern Maine.
    Since their establishment in Louisiana, the Cajuns have become famous for their French dialect, Louisiana French, and have developed a vibrant culture including folkways, music, and cuisine. Acadiana is heavily associated with them.
    You can often tell by sight if someone is from Quebec by their eyes and nose
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Whenever I think of Cajuns, I think of the movie Southern Comfort.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My paternal grandmother was Cajun

I'm Swedish German English and Cajun

I want to conquer the world and eat crayfish
  • Options
    Founders Club

My paternal grandmother was Cajun

I'm Swedish German English and Cajun

I want to conquer the world and eat crayfish

I'm French, German, Irish, English, Native American and Norwegian.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    edited September 2023
    LebamDawg said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8vyTfugcI

Zydeco > Cajun.

It's all about proper squeezing and fingering the buttons.

I'm quite certain @Doog_de_Jour would agree.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8vyTfugcI

Zydeco > Cajun.

It's all about proper squeezing and fingering the buttons.

I'm quite certain @Doog_de_Jour would agree.

Very similar - what I got out of the article - Cajun music spawns the two step and waltz dancing and Zydeco is a wider variety of dancing, more instrumentation. Both rely heavily and fiddle and accordion - accordion to the article

https://flypaper.soundfly.com/discover/cajun-vs-zydeco-music/

and the movie I associate with cajun music is Belizaire the Cajun Beaujolais was the band for the soundtrack which I lost in a divorce