Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The defense is not dominating

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
And it's not going to be dominating. The pieces aren't there. The D is going to have to make up for a lack of natural talent by being a gym rat that lives in the film room. Become the kind of D you want your daughter to marry

They got better through last season and they will do the same this year. Football is all situational now and the shut down D is a thing of the past.

With PENIX and the offense this D can be good enough.

What Penix did yesterday and what he has done is generational. Enjoy it. Depending on how it plays out he can become the GOAT at UW and the last great Pac 12 QB

Comments

• Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited September 2023

Football is all situational now and the shut down D is a thing of the past.

outside of one conference, yes.

this team is good enough to make the playoffs talent wise IMO. Little concerned a one dimensional O and subpar D against a Georgia might look eerily similar to UW - Alabama 2016.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    D just needs to be good in pieces rather than a whole unit. Be opportunistic and get big plays here and there to give the offense a chance to get ahead.

It's the Madden defensive strategy(the game not the coach).
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,921
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

jecornel said:

The Penix throw to Polk just short of the goal line at the open end of the stadium is one of best throws I’ve ever seen in person. That throw was stunning.

The db room better have a hunger for competition. Outside of Jabar other guys will have opportunities to win a starting job. Plenty of items to correct on defense.

The o-line needs tweaking and they did some tinkering. Johnson didn’t look great but the defense got in the backfield quickly. The rb’s weren’t given much day light.

banks is out to take a job he brought it yesterday
    Yeah Banks and Nixon should absolutely be #1s on the depth chart on Monday. I know coaches act like depth charts don't matter but in both cases you had backups that performed and starters who absolutely sucked (Jackson and Johnson)
  • Options
    jecornel said:

Johnson didn’t look great but the defense got in the backfield quickly. The rb’s weren’t given much day light.

Nixon gave a pretty good Wayne T impersonation yesterday.

Johnson just needs to be solid in pass pro until he works off the rust and gets comfortable with the system
  • Options

jecornel said:

The Penix throw to Polk just short of the goal line at the open end of the stadium is one of best throws I’ve ever seen in person. That throw was stunning.

The db room better have a hunger for competition. Outside of Jabar other guys will have opportunities to win a starting job. Plenty of items to correct on defense.

The o-line needs tweaking and they did some tinkering. Johnson didn’t look great but the defense got in the backfield quickly. The rb’s weren’t given much day light.

Yeah Banks and Nixon should absolutely be #1s on the depth chart on Monday. I know coaches act like depth charts don't matter but in both cases you had backups that performed and starters who absolutely sucked (Jackson and Johnson)
    Jackson's "performance" was worrisome yesterday.

He looked lost in coverage and incapable of making a one-on-one tackle in space
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,324
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Banks didn't start? Shit, that guy played well. I assumed he was the starter, and I was going to grade the outside corners at an A, believe it or not. Outside of Penix and the receivers, I was shocked to see the outside corners as so solid. They were making plays on the ball, and even when they were beaten, they were tight enough to not allow YAC. You can't really ask for more than that. Nickels and safeties were giving up a lot of plays, and something about the scheme makes them susceptible to the screen game.

D-Line did alright at times and got pushed around at others. Ulofoshio had a nice sack, but he also gave up a TD to a stiff-arm/missed tackle and failed to cover the back out of the backfield for a huge gain (he eventually made the tackle something like 40 yards downfield). Good things continue to happen when Bruener is on the field, yet there's a force field between that guy and the starting lineup.

Is ZTF still on the team?...
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,609
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

jecornel said:

Yeah, he got worked on a few occasions.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    The offense doesn't need to score a TD every possession, so that's a good start. The biggest thing the defense can do is get some sacks and force a couple turnovers. They'll still give up some points.

If they're ahead on turnovers they're going to win because nobody is stopping Mighty Penix.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

jecornel said:

He’s horrible , absolutely no growth from last season
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,609
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Did Powell play at all? Or ZTF? Or Tuputala?

In on 0 plays
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,280
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    All I know is that one of those guys is keeping Heims seat warm while he gets his reads down. Enough said on that