Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,255
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    He is playing with an edge not seen previously...my only concern with him has been the appearance of entitlement...Mr Smiley, really comfortable, a little bit of RW3 in interviews. He is legit, and I am an old, broken down dinosaur...
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

He is playing with an edge not seen previously...my only concern with him has been the appearance of entitlement...Mr Smiley, really comfortable, a little bit of RW3 in interviews. He is legit, and I am an old, broken down dinosaur...

I haven't seen any interviews. But earlier this season he was whiffing 50% of his at bats. It had to be hard work and not entitlement that got him out of that hole.
  • Options

Fishpo31 said:

I haven't seen any interviews. But earlier this season he was whiffing 50% of his at bats. It had to be hard work and not entitlement that got him out of that hole.
    I agree. I think that my concern was more that, when he was a “Big Whiffa” earlier, I did not see the edge. It was all smiles, all good, “The JRod Show”…Kind of stirred memories of “the separation is in the preparation” feeling with Russell. He is the leader, and is backing it up with his play, not with scripted quotes…

And, here I am debating appearances and perceptions…he can put a club on his back, as was advertised when they signed him to the big contract. My concerns are mute, until they aren’t…same as it ever was…
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

I agree. I think that my concern was more that, when he was a “Big Whiffa” earlier, I did not see the edge. It was all smiles, all good, “The JRod Show”…Kind of stirred memories of “the separation is in the preparation” feeling with Russell. He is the leader, and is backing it up with his play, not with scripted quotes…

And, here I am debating appearances and perceptions…he can put a club on his back, as was advertised when they signed him to the big contract. My concerns are mute, until they aren’t…same as it ever was…
    My brother and I have talked about this quite a bit with regards to the whole team. It's frustrating to watch them smiling, joking, being friendly to opposing players (France is the one who really bugs him in this way) etc when they're not producing. I think said brother gets carried away and their looseness eventually pays off (as has been proven again). That said I agree that sometimes you have to play pissed off. The nicest guy in the world should play baseball pissed off at least some of the time.
  • Options
    chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

My brother and I have talked about this quite a bit with regards to the whole team. It's frustrating to watch them smiling, joking, being friendly to opposing players (France is the one who really bugs him in this way) etc when they're not producing. I think said brother gets carried away and their looseness eventually pays off (as has been proven again). That said I agree that sometimes you have to play pissed off. The nicest guy in the world should play baseball pissed off at least some of the time.
    I have talked to my players for years about this very thing...You are going to get pissed off, there are times that you should be pissed off. It's perfectly fine to get pissed off (it is part of being a competitor), but it is NOT OK to play pissed off...You can't make yourself perform, you must let yourself perform, with a consistent approach that fits your personality.

For me, you can't play baseball with a tight asshole..."Titeus bungitis leads to soreus bungoris"...(Kelenic, but he is improving). It is too long of a season, too many games, not enough days off, to grind every day. Teams that have fun are loose, teams that aren't loose don't have fun. While it had grinded my gears historically, I see no lack of effort, I see guys being themselves.

A guy that blows up the bat rack after every strikeout is...1. Gonna blow up a lot of bat racks, and B. Is a shitty, selfish teammate.

I am from a time where you never showed emotion, never let your personality show...that is not the case today. Players that are hard case, selfish pricks cause tension in the clubhouse. That is why you see great players get traded and wonder "Why?" They suck the oxygen out of the room based on their mood, every day...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

I have talked to my players for years about this very thing...You are going to get pissed off, there are times that you should be pissed off. It's perfectly fine to get pissed off (it is part of being a competitor), but it is NOT OK to play pissed off...You can't make yourself perform, you must let yourself perform, with a consistent approach that fits your personality.

For me, you can't play baseball with a tight asshole..."Titeus bungitis leads to soreus bungoris"...(Kelenic, but he is improving). It is too long of a season, too many games, not enough days off, to grind every day. Teams that have fun are loose, teams that aren't loose don't have fun. While it had grinded my gears historically, I see no lack of effort, I see guys being themselves.

A guy that blows up the bat rack after every strikeout is...1. Gonna blow up a lot of bat racks, and B. Is a shitty, selfish teammate.

I am from a time where you never showed emotion, never let your personality show...that is not the case today. Players that are hard case, selfish pricks cause tension in the clubhouse. That is why you see great players get traded and wonder "Why?" They suck the oxygen out of the room based on their mood, every day...
    Yeah I couldn't agree more about keeping it under wraps. Throwing fits is a distraction at best. Showing your temper shows weakness. I'm just talking about an intensity that doesn't leave time for shooting the shit with base runners and joking in the dugout after a crucial strikeout.

On the other hand, I thought for a bit about what it is that allows the Ms to turn it on late every season (I'm calling this three year period a trend). I think the whole nice guy thing helps. Like everyone says it's a long season. People grate in each other with so much constant contact even if they're all friends (no way they are). Tension and shit, even fights, tend to happen If everyone is wound tight all the time it's not really possible to keep morale where you want it.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    sports psychology superiority guys
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Stoned meanderings of a bored moog shut in due to the smoke.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

Stoned meanderings of a bored moog shut in due to the smoke.
    *mooriner
  • Options

“Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical”. -Yogi Berra
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

The Wartime Consilglieres have a player named Billy McKinney that I picked up out of free agency. He's 28 years old and is with his 7th team already (NYY twice). I'm wondering what the hell is that about.