Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

LA Times: Pac-12 collapse was Kalen DeBoer's fault

13»

Comments

• dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,773 Swaye's Wigwam
    TXDawg said:

I read that shitpiece article yesterday. The whole thing reeked of Kliavkoff going off the record in order to preserve his future prospects.

I’ve heard he’s made the second round of interviews for a key position with apple. He’d be leading the Sports streaming team. He’d be focused on developing relationships with key players so apple can break into this very lucrative opportunity.

Don’t twist.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,941 Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

Anyone know what channel the Pac-12 network is on?

Is that channel still a thing? I thought they would’ve shut down business operations immediately like OceanGate after the implosion of the conference.
    I've checked from time to time and it seems they've gone into just showing every replace from every sport they have.

They will probably do live coverage for football and basketball for the final year.
    Was going to say the same. It doesn't happen often, but I'll flip the dish guide to 406 or whatever it is once in a while to see what the PAC 12 and other networks are offering. Nothing changed with them. It's all shit like always. There's a 60 minute replay of some random game going once in a while.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    But I was told that George was kicking ass!
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,936 Founders Club
    Kaepsknee said:

I read that yesterday. UW was actually leading the way out when it came time to do so.

What are the odds that the President that listened to his AI professor’s assessment of market value to be $50 mill per team was also UW’s?

81%????

Because the day that President convinced the others of this, was the day the PAC 12 really died.

The article said the president and one of his professors so I it wasn’t AMC.
  • SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,963 Founders Club

Kaepsknee said:

I read that yesterday. UW was actually leading the way out when it came time to do so.

What are the odds that the President that listened to his AI professor’s assessment of market value to be $50 mill per team was also UW’s?

81%????

Because the day that President convinced the others of this, was the day the PAC 12 really died.

assuming gender? w, jw
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,936 Founders Club
    Sources said:

Kaepsknee said:

81%????

assuming gender? w, jw
    I hesitated before posting but felt safe knowing I was only restating what some other person said.

I’ll do better next time.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    edited August 2023

whlinder said:

Does Phil Knight even understand what streaming is?

Anyway, as I've said in other places, I can buy the argument that there was a benefit to Apple given its streaming ambitions and the number of its devices which are in the hands of American consumers on a day to day basis. "Everybody knows" that streaming is the future.

But it's still a basic product strategy problem with distribution networks. Pac-12 content (the product) does not have high demand and therefore consumers will not seek it out regardless of its distribution network. Content like NFL games does have high demand and therefore they can get away with more streaming. Without that power the product is dependent on its distribution network for exposure, hence the need for linear.

UW did the right thing and I agree with DeBoer's comments above. But I will say that streaming is the future and Apple has the biggest distribution network in the world. That future may not happen for 5+ more years, but it is the future.

And y’all could have been in on the ground floor.

But seriously, streaming works for almost everything besides a College Football Saturday. I’m sure tech will improve to where it doesn’t take 30 seconds to change between apps on your TV to see the other game.

But right now streaming between different services doesn’t fit. We’re used to changing a channel to get to the next game.

• Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,717
    Kaepsknee said:

whlinder said:

Does Phil Knight even understand what streaming is?

Anyway, as I've said in other places, I can buy the argument that there was a benefit to Apple given its streaming ambitions and the number of its devices which are in the hands of American consumers on a day to day basis. "Everybody knows" that streaming is the future.

But it's still a basic product strategy problem with distribution networks. Pac-12 content (the product) does not have high demand and therefore consumers will not seek it out regardless of its distribution network. Content like NFL games does have high demand and therefore they can get away with more streaming. Without that power the product is dependent on its distribution network for exposure, hence the need for linear.

UW did the right thing and I agree with DeBoer's comments above. But I will say that streaming is the future and Apple has the biggest distribution network in the world. That future may not happen for 5+ more years, but it is the future.

And y’all could have been in on the ground floor.

But seriously, streaming works for almost everything besides a College Football Saturday. I’m sure tech will improve to where it doesn’t take 30 seconds to change between apps on your TV to see the other game.

But right now streaming between different services doesn’t fit. We’re used to changing a channel to get to the next game.

I often watch with the tv on cable and a laptop going with the streaming stuff. Multiple windows going.

I think the key is no football fan actually wants to watch a streamed game.
  • HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,030
    Can DeBoer do two jobs? Let's keep him as HC and also give him the AD job.

Barry Alvarez did it for a while.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,448 Founders Club

Barry Alvarez did it for a while.
    Jim Owens did it for awhile, I'm pretty sure