Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Football Discussion: How Good will the Defense be?

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

I'm high on our defense, but best defense in the conference is pretty optimistic. Yards per play, red zone efficiency, and turnovers is all that really matters. Last year in yards per play, we were 28th in the country and 5th in the conference. The order before us was Oregon (7), Stanford (10), USC (18), and UCLA (22). In points allowed we were also 5th. Obviously the rankings are important, but Oregon's #7 didn't mean shit. They were soft up front and got destroyed by Stanford and Arizona.
    http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-yards-per-game

It's big that we have the front 7 and Peters all returning. I think we have some very good players. But let's not forget last year either. Even though we finished right at the top for sacks, there were games the pass rush was practically non existent. The heat from the edge was there, but we don't have a DT that is a threat to get sacks. We got destroyed up front against Oregon, ASU, and UCLA.

I think we improve in both, but I don't see a jump to first. I can see how it's possible though, but I will believe it when I see it. I see the same 5 teams being pretty good on defense, and playing at roughly the same level. I can't really decipher who is best. Each has some question marks and key players to replace. Oregon lost it's secondary except for Epke- whatever. Stanford lost Murphy, Gardner, and Skov. UCLA lost Barr, Marsh, and Zumwalt. USC has Sark as their head coach, lost a few key guys, and have shitty depth. USC doesn't have to play UW or Oregon though. That will really help their defensive numbers. We have issues in the secondary. I don't see a dominant defense in the Pac 12. I guess it's there for the taking, but other teams can make just as good of case as UW can.

I'm all in on 11-2 or 10-3. I think a top 3 offense and defense gets the job done. I think the offense will be more explosive than the pundits think. I see a balanced team that isn't the best offensively or defensively, but is more than good enough.

Very good post. We're also placing a ton of hope in Ki'Kaha's surgically repaired ligaments. If he busts an ACL this defense could easily fall to average. I am not a believer in LIttleton at all, and with Shirley gone there's no proven depth on the edge. Perhaps Farria or Mathis makes the leap but you can't assume those things.

Expecting first in the conference is too optimistic, but I do expect this to be a top 3 defense, baring injury.

I agree that as Shelton and Kikaha go, so does our defense. I do think we have good talent falling in behind them though, but it is untested (Qualls, Mathis, Farria) as you point out. Almost every team has a top contributor or two, that if injured, will fuck them up badly. We are no different.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

dnc said:

I'm high on our defense, but best defense in the conference is pretty optimistic. Yards per play, red zone efficiency, and turnovers is all that really matters. Last year in yards per play, we were 28th in the country and 5th in the conference. The order before us was Oregon (7), Stanford (10), USC (18), and UCLA (22). In points allowed we were also 5th. Obviously the rankings are important, but Oregon's #7 didn't mean shit. They were soft up front and got destroyed by Stanford and Arizona.

It's big that we have the front 7 and Peters all returning. I think we have some very good players. But let's not forget last year either. Even though we finished right at the top for sacks, there were games the pass rush was practically non existent. The heat from the edge was there, but we don't have a DT that is a threat to get sacks. We got destroyed up front against Oregon, ASU, and UCLA.

I think we improve in both, but I don't see a jump to first. I can see how it's possible though, but I will believe it when I see it. I see the same 5 teams being pretty good on defense, and playing at roughly the same level. I can't really decipher who is best. Each has some question marks and key players to replace. Oregon lost it's secondary except for Epke- whatever. Stanford lost Murphy, Gardner, and Skov. UCLA lost Barr, Marsh, and Zumwalt. USC has Sark as their head coach, lost a few key guys, and have shitty depth. USC doesn't have to play UW or Oregon though. That will really help their defensive numbers. We have issues in the secondary. I don't see a dominant defense in the Pac 12. I guess it's there for the taking, but other teams can make just as good of case as UW can.

I'm all in on 11-2 or 10-3. I think a top 3 offense and defense gets the job done. I think the offense will be more explosive than the pundits think. I see a balanced team that isn't the best offensively or defensively, but is more than good enough.

Very good post. We're also placing a ton of hope in Ki'Kaha's surgically repaired ligaments. If he busts an ACL this defense could easily fall to average. I am not a believer in LIttleton at all, and with Shirley gone there's no proven depth on the edge. Perhaps Farria or Mathis makes the leap but you can't assume those things.

Expecting first in the conference is too optimistic, but I do expect this to be a top 3 defense, baring injury.

I agree that as Shelton and Kikaha go, so does our defense. I do think we have good talent falling in behind them though, but it is untested (Qualls, Mathis, Farria) as you point out. Almost every team has a top contributor or two, that if injured, will fuck them up badly. We are no different.
    This is certainly true. I just have a little less faith in a guy like Kikaha who has a history of injuries than someone like Shelton who's basically been a rock since he got here. Obviously Shelton could get hurt, but I don't expect him to. With Kikaha if he tears something it won't be a surprise.

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I worry about the defense against passing teams. I think our safeties are going to get exposed at times and possibly be a revolving door of injuries with as small as those guys are. I expect shoulder injuries and stingers to be a normal occurrence.

That is the only thing I don't like about the defense though. Should be in the upper half of the conference.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

This is certainly true. I just have a little less faith in a guy like Kikaha who has a history of injuries than someone like Shelton who's basically been a rock since he got here. Obviously Shelton could get hurt, but I don't expect him to. With Kikaha if he tears something it won't be a surprise.

But if he does, he can get the Cooper Memorial Knee Award AND there won't be a dry eye in the house! Abundance!
  • Options
    Founders Club

I worry about the defense against passing teams. I think our safeties are going to get exposed at times and possibly be a revolving door of injuries with as small as those guys are. I expect shoulder injuries and stingers to be a normal occurrence.

That is the only thing I don't like about the defense though. Should be in the upper half of the conference.

If the pass rush can stay effective, it will go a long way to keeping the pressure off those young safeties.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

The first half of last season, I always wondered why Littleton started. It seemed like he never did anything. He did terrible as a freshman too. However, I did think he came on the 2nd half of the year. His numbers were actually pretty good. He's small though and missed a lot of tackles. I don't think he's great, but I think he has some ability.

I think Littleton was out all Spring though. That DE/OLB spot will be interesting to watch. I think it's the only starting spot in the front 7 up for grabs. With the new staff, maybe we run more of a traditional 4-3 with Mathis, Farria, or Andrew Hudson there. Maybe Berria or another young LB forces their way on the field.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options

dnc said:

The first half of last season, I always wondered why Littleton started. It seemed like he never did anything. He did terrible as a freshman too. However, I did think he came on the 2nd half of the year. His numbers were actually pretty good. He's small though and missed a lot of tackles. I don't think he's great, but I think he has some ability.

I think Littleton was out all Spring though. That DE/OLB spot will be interesting to watch. I think it's the only starting spot in the front 7 up for grabs. With the new staff, maybe we run more of a traditional 4-3 with Mathis, Farria, or Andrew Hudson there. Maybe Berria or another young LB forces their way on the field.
    Totally forgot we got Hudson back. That makes me feel a little better about the depth.

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Which RS Freshman will surprise?

Qualls? Kelly? Beirra? Beuller?
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Oregon lost it's secondary except for Epke- whatever.

Rumor has it that Epke-whatever is one of the best players in the nation.

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,614
    Standard Supporter
    Shelton, Kikaha, Thompson, and Peters will need enormous season's to be considered first round picks. All very solid, Peters to me has the best shot at being a first round pick.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Passion said:

I think we improve in both, but I don't see a jump to first. I can see how it's possible though, but I will believe it when I see it.

I can't stand Sark, but the best decision he ever made was bringing in Justin Wilcox. Wilcox knew what he was doing, and turned around our defense in a short amount of time. Did he make us elite? No. Were there blowouts? Yes. But nobody can argue that we didn't improve...significantly.

I have no idea how good the defense will be under Peterman, maybe better, but I'm not ready to assume a jump. No doogin' it up. Need to see it.

And I agree that the lack of depth on the interior DL is a problem. Pray for a healthy season from Danny Shelton.

The best thing to to happen to the defense is that Wilcox and current D coordinator worked together at BSU and incorporate similar systems. Reducing learning curve.

• Options
    jecornel said:

Shelton, Kikaha, Thompson, and Peters will need enormous season's to be considered first round picks. All very solid, Peters to me has the best shot at being a first round pick.

Agreed on all. Honestly Peters and Thompson are the only ones I can see being a first rounder ever, and that's really just based on TBS hype for Thompson. Shelton and Kikaha are not first round type DL's.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Which RS Freshman will surprise?

Qualls? Kelly? Beirra? Beuller?

Sounds like Bierra could be a surprise and Qualls looks to be ready for playing time.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,644
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Shelton is probably a mid rounder. He's one dimensional...basically a plug in the center of the line. Ta'amu or however the fuck you spell it was similar but more disruptive than Shelton and the knock on him (as I remember it) was that he was one dimensional. I think their draft positions will be similar.

Kikaha is probably a draft pick but I wouldn't venture to predict him any higher than round 4-5.

Thompson and Peters both have a shot as others have said. They need good seasons and impressive combines (no shit). I think they both have that in them.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,610
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

jecornel said:

Agreed on all. Honestly Peters and Thompson are the only ones I can see being a first rounder ever, and that's really just based on TBS hype for Thompson. Shelton and Kikaha are not first round type DL's.
    Kikaha had comparable numbers to the DEs that got drafted in the first round last draft