Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What band or bands got held back by one member

El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,097
5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
Swaye's Wigwam
Some names that pop up often
Axl Rose
Layne Staley
Sid Vicious
Brian Jones
Peter Criss
Tom Scholtz
David Lee Roth
Someone other than Chris Squire in YES
Nikki Sixx

Who are some others??

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,349
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,252
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2023
    Creative tension makes great art...

The Beach Boys...Brian's descent into mental illness and dope, and Mike Love's descent into being a dope...

EDIT: Brian was the driving force for their greatness, but also the reason for their decline, IMO...
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,926
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Brian Jones is complicated in this regard. He was essential to their image and sound early on. All of the cool instrumentation on their 1966- 67 has a lot to do with Brian's playing.

But from Beggar's on he was a huge drag. I believe he had a bad hand injury in '66 or '67 that hampered his playing. And drugs.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Brian Jones is complicated in this regard. He was essential to their image and sound early on. All of the cool instrumentation on their 1966- 67 has a lot to do with Brian's playing.

But from Beggar's on he was a huge drag. I believe he had a bad hand injury in '66 or '67 that hampered his playing. And drugs.

Brian was a major dick. I can see why they kicked him out and didn’t care he died.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qTRz2djRnV8
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,926
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

The Beach Boys...Brian's descent into mental illness and dope, and Mike Love's descent into being a dope...

EDIT: Brian was the driving force for their greatness, but also the reason for their decline, IMO...

Brian had become arguably a greater pop music genius that Lennon and McCartney by the time Good Vibrations was released in Oct 1966.

But he wasn't mentally strong enough to do it all on his own.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,866
    Standard Supporter
    Fishpo31 said:

Came here to post this. Brian had a talented band full of singers who harmonized very well and were pretty good musicians, yet wrote a bunch of experimental crap.

Not sure what Brian's problem with Mike was, but the other members seemed to have no problem continuing to tour and make music with him, so I feel a lot of that is on Brian, too, even though I know there were other personal conflicts with Mike aside from that later on in the late 70s.
  • Options

IIRC, Anita Pallenberg injured Brian’s hand with her face…

• Options

Fishpo31 said:

Came here to post this. Brian had a talented band full of singers who harmonized very well and were pretty good musicians, yet wrote a bunch of experimental crap.

Not sure what Brian's problem with Mike was, but the other members seemed to have no problem continuing to tour and make music with him, so I feel a lot of that is on Brian, too, even though I know there were other personal conflicts with Mike aside from that later on in the late 70s.
    It was (is) Mike’s problem with Brian, regarding royalties…”Change a word, get a third”…
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    TSIO was held back by Dennis DeYoung from day 1
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If we can't disrespect the dead then who can we disrespect?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,038
    Founders Club
    Honeybucket Buttfuck

@DeLarry and I constantly discussed how to ditch @CFetters_Nacho_Lover since he couldn't keep time on the drums. But the band just faded into obscurity
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,879
    Founders Club

Honeybucket Buttfuck

@DeLarry and I constantly discussed how to ditch @CFetters_Nacho_Lover since he couldn't keep time on the drums. But the band just faded into obscurity

I was dealing with a nacho addiction and you bastards didn’t provide the support I needed!
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,097
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

Honeybucket Buttfuck

I was dealing with a nacho addiction and you bastards didn’t provide the support I needed!
    I think many of us fall back on and adhere to what we have been told by most people that they want us to respect their decision and give them privacy.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,543
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I was going to say the same thing about Styx