Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Could Seattle be sellers at the MLB deadline?

2»

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

They are in the dreaded FYFMFE slot...too close to sell, not close enough (or deep enough) to buy. When they meet with Ohtani, Stanton's first words better be "Welcome, partner"...

Dip could have made a bigger splash, but that splash would be Kirby and / or Gilbert exiting...

The saying goes "You trade arms for bats, and you trade bats for arms"...Ray getting hurt killed their chances for a big move with one of those guys. You would go from losing 3-2 to losing 7-6...

There were plenty of league average or slightly better hitters going for mid tier prospects, which the Ms system is full of. They didn't need a splash but they should've tried something at least slightly aggressive. Wong and vacant (outfield/1b/dh) should have been easy to upgrade, but they didn't appear willing to alter the formula to make sure they did that.
    I like getting Canzone better than you do. He’s been a 4A player so far, but he has hit really well in the minors. He definitely fills a need if he pans out. I think he will eventually hit in the majors. He has too good of a minor league track record.

I can’t criticize the M’s for the Sewald trade. Bliss is a decent prospect and another body to throw at 2B. This is a fairly heavy return for a good, but not great reliever.
    I'm really not down on the trade. I'm down on the fact that it most likely made the team worse for the rest of this season and they didn't make any other moves to compensate. That's not a sure thing, but it's most likely given what Rojas has done in 2023 and the fact that Canzone is 17 games into his career.

This season isn't over yet. They should have tried to win now (they didn't) and add some help for next year (I agree that they did).
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,577
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    They did fail to pursue and land the one available trade player [Juan Soto] with a controllable contract that could have stepped in and changed the fortunes of the club.. obviously it was going to take a lot of trade capital to get it done, but I think they missed a rare opportunity leading up to the trade deadline by failing to pull the trigger to transact.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,256
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

They did fail to pursue and land the one available trade player [Juan Soto] with a controllable contract that could have stepped in and changed the fortunes of the club.. obviously it was going to take a lot of trade capital to get it done, but I think they missed a rare opportunity leading up to the trade deadline by failing to pull the trigger to transact.

I bet Dipoto called on him, and the first word out of Preller’s mouth started with a G, as in George…if Ray is healthy, I would listen, and push Gilbert, but he isn’t. Soto is a no-doubter upgrade, and while he isn’t a FA until 24, he’s making 23MM, and you may very well be trading a future ace for a 1.5 year rental…Seattle will alway be attractive for pitchers, and they will always have to overpay for hitters, for obvious reasons…
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

You and I disagree on how much they needed to be a contender. I'm not even sure they're not one now in spite of all of my bitching. This series against the Angels could finally be the one that tios the scales one way or the other...kind of late to be helpful.

We agree on most of the rest. And @RoadDawg55 misunderstood me regarding the guys they got in the trade. I was too busy being a nega to say what I really thought about them. I do like them a lot, even Rojas. I just don't think they were brought in to help this year. Bliss is an interesting guy with surprising potential for a little dude and is another body to throw at the middle infield problem.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Was Soto available? The Padres didn’t even trade Snell. They are going for it and didn’t sell.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

You and I disagree on how much they needed to be a contender. I'm not even sure they're not one now in spite of all of my bitching. This series against the Angels could finally be the one that tios the scales one way or the other...kind of late to be helpful.

We agree on most of the rest. And @RoadDawg55 misunderstood me regarding the guys they got in the trade. I was too busy being a nega to say what I really thought about them. I do like them a lot, even Rojas. I just don't think they were brought in to help this year. Bliss is an interesting guy with surprising potential for a little dude and is another body to throw at the middle infield problem.
    I think the Mariners got better this year with the trade. Even one solid everyday player is more valuable than a good reliever. Almost anyone, even Rojas would be an upgrade at 2B and Canzone could become a big piece. Both could end up being valuable players down the stretch.

We have other good relievers and Sewald is replaceable. I can’t believe we got this much in a return. I’m not sure what splash move was available and those often don’t work out anyways. The Mariners were unlikely to make the playoffs before the deadline and it’s still unlikely.