Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DeBoer on UW recruiting and NIL

2»

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,739
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2023
    Tequilla said:

Step 1: Move to the B1G

Step 2: Tell athletic department to pay its own bills with the increased media check and therefore don't ask the boosters for shit

Step 3: Have CKD issue an ultimatum on the importance of a fully-funded NIL slush fund

Step 4: Let the boosters — big and small — decide how much they value football success at UW

Step 5: Profit!!

The cleanest way for UW to become more competitive in the NIL world is exactly what you noted with Step 2 ... the Athletic Department needs to be self funding without begging for support from donations, etc.

Do that and the donations that they receive today can be "repurposed" to NIL
    I know who you're talking about and all I have to say about it is

LOL.................

Can't.

Stop.

Laughing.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

Development vs. transaction might win a small fraction of battles against schools that are poor at the former. Particularly (like you saw a lot with Petersen) with kids that already come from money. The problem is there there are plenty of "schools" out there at which a kid can get both. The NFL draft is littered with players that drove shockingly nice cars while "going to school," and this predates NIL by a long ways.

I think the mentality of someone who values development over a few bucks is the big kicker. Especially in football where you have to be very committed to hurting yourself to make plays.

Something to be said for having guys that won't transfer out when the check is delayed
    Plenty of schools do both. It's up to the fan base, admin and big dick boosters to decide how much they care. It's not an either or. Bama has been paying their players well for years before this.
    Texas, USC, Texas A&M, Florida, Florida State, Tennessee

All top 10ish recruiting programs that haven't accomplished anything with it in many recruiting cycles. Obviously highschool talent means something but the even the best cars need good tires
    Tennessee just finished 6th in both polls, beating Bama, Clempson, and LSU. One of their losses was a close(ish) one to the champs. I don't think they belong on your list. The rest of your list are very similar schools that don't support a counterargument in the way you think they do. I don't think anybody's arguing development vs. recruiting rankings, which is what I think you're getting caught up in. What's being said is that there are schools that do BOTH. You can't argue that Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. don't develop players. The NFL draft suggests that they develop players just fine. They also pay them and have for as long as I've been following the game.

So nobody is going to argue about schools that chase recruiting rankings and don't develop like most of the schools in your list. The question is how UW goes about not losing a QB or hometown future AA receiver to Ohio State or a California AA tight end to Georgia. Because you're not going to make a "we'll get you in the NFL" argument that's going to win a kid over when any of those schools are an option.
    I agree with your second paragraph but as to your first one I'd say that my point is UW is never going to be in the top 10 in recruiting consistently so don't just do what those schools that chase rankings as you say. As for Tennessee please observe https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/trends/win_trends/?range=yearly_since_2013 and scroll down...keep scrolling...all the teams I mentioned are way down there over the past decade
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,997
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

Development vs. transaction might win a small fraction of battles against schools that are poor at the former. Particularly (like you saw a lot with Petersen) with kids that already come from money. The problem is there there are plenty of "schools" out there at which a kid can get both. The NFL draft is littered with players that drove shockingly nice cars while "going to school," and this predates NIL by a long ways.

I think the mentality of someone who values development over a few bucks is the big kicker. Especially in football where you have to be very committed to hurting yourself to make plays.

Something to be said for having guys that won't transfer out when the check is delayed
    Plenty of schools do both. It's up to the fan base, admin and big dick boosters to decide how much they care. It's not an either or. Bama has been paying their players well for years before this.
    Texas, USC, Texas A&M, Florida, Florida State, Tennessee

All top 10ish recruiting programs that haven't accomplished anything with it in many recruiting cycles. Obviously highschool talent means something but the even the best cars need good tires
    Tennessee just finished 6th in both polls, beating Bama, Clempson, and LSU. One of their losses was a close(ish) one to the champs. I don't think they belong on your list. The rest of your list are very similar schools that don't support a counterargument in the way you think they do. I don't think anybody's arguing development vs. recruiting rankings, which is what I think you're getting caught up in. What's being said is that there are schools that do BOTH. You can't argue that Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. don't develop players. The NFL draft suggests that they develop players just fine. They also pay them and have for as long as I've been following the game.

So nobody is going to argue about schools that chase recruiting rankings and don't develop like most of the schools in your list. The question is how UW goes about not losing a QB or hometown future AA receiver to Ohio State or a California AA tight end to Georgia. Because you're not going to make a "we'll get you in the NFL" argument that's going to win a kid over when any of those schools are an option.
    I agree with your second paragraph but as to your first one I'd say that my point is UW is never going to be in the top 10 in recruiting consistently so don't just do what those schools that chase rankings as you say. As for Tennessee please observe https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/trends/win_trends/?range=yearly_since_2013 and scroll down...keep scrolling...all the teams I mentioned are way down there over the past decade
    You're missing the point. Those schools you listed don't fall into mediocrity because they get players that may go for the pay day. They are mediocre because their coaching staffs are not good. Plenty of good programs paid players long before NIL. This isn't new for big time college football.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

Step 1: Move to the B1G

Step 2: Tell athletic department to pay its own bills with the increased media check and therefore don't ask the boosters for shit

Step 3: Have CKD issue an ultimatum on the importance of a fully-funded NIL slush fund

Step 4: Let the boosters — big and small — decide how much they value football success at UW

Step 5: Profit!!

The cleanest way for UW to become more competitive in the NIL world is exactly what you noted with Step 2 ... the Athletic Department needs to be self funding without begging for support from donations, etc.

Do that and the donations that they receive today can be "repurposed" to NIL
    I know who you're talking about and all I have to say about it is

LOL.................

Can't.

Stop.

Laughing.
    You're a fool ... but that's nothing new
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,654
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    PAC schools wish football didnt exist. Why on earth you guys think they'll ever do anything to make them more competitive with SEC and B1G I'll never understand.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,497
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

PAC schools wish football didnt exist. Why on earth you guys think they'll ever do anything to make them more competitive with SEC and B1G I'll never understand.

The B1G and the SEC? Or do you mean tOSU, Michigan, Georgia, and Bama?

Didn't see Rutgers or Maryland end the season ranked #8 in the nation
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Find some shade buddy
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,997
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2023

The old UW will never be top ten in recruiting argument. From day one of the half brains in 07.

Oregon didn't use to be top 50 in recruiting

UW was top ten in recruiting after I almost fired Don James

There is nothing stopping this university in this city from doing whatever the fuck it wants to win and win big. Other than small minds. An ongoing issue

When UW buys players they win. Add a coach like DeBoer and they would win big

The thing is if you get the fanbase and fully behind you here, there is as much money as anywhere with the exception of a few select blue bloods and uncle Phil. We've had some of the highest paid coaches and a well documented history of paying our players before it was legal. But now we act like we are above playing the pay for play game.

Dammit this program was built on breaking the rules and we are good at it if we want to be. Too many limp dicks in this fanbase though. If DeBoer is who we hope he is it will ultimately cost us keeping him eventually.