Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

1001 Album Club Podcast

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,961
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Anyone given this Pod a listen before? These guys started doing a weekly pod based on Robert Dimery's book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1001_Albums_You_Must_Hear_Before_You_Die )

It's fairly entertaining and I enjoy laughing at some of their shittier takes. All are musicians and some don't care for Jazz or Blues so it's fun to here contrarian opinions on classic albums. I'm listened to most of them through episode 54 - BB King Live at Regal. Rubber Soul is next.

https://www.1001albumclub.com/episodes/

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,527
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited July 2023
    The author has some shitty taste in music. Three albums from The Smiths and five from Sonic Youth? I hate to break it to the guy, but those are 8 albums that no person needs to hear.

Yella, if you want to hear some hot takes on the awfulness of jazz and blues just post the album up here and ol' BleachedAnusDawg will set you straight.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The author has some shitty taste in music. Three albums from The Smiths and five from Sonic Youth? I hate to break it to the guy, but those are 8 albums that no person needs to hear.

Yella, if you want to hear some hot takes on the awfulness of jazz and blues just post the album up here and ol' BleachedAnusDawg will set you straight.

I don't know that I agree with all the author's choices deserve inclusion or not. My interest is more in the podcast and these dude's reactions to various albums.

@BleachedAnusDawg some of the takes by these guys remind me things you might say.
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,100
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Agreed, a shitty list. Too much Neil Young, Sonic Youth, and Morrisey solo. Not enough Van Halen
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Have you ever seen me and those pod hosts in the same place at the same time?

Now I am forced to give one a listen.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Have you ever seen me and those pod hosts in the same place at the same time?

Now I am forced to give one a listen.

Just pick one from the late 70's or early 80s and see if it interests you. I'm still in the mid 60s and have a long way to go.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    El_K said:

Agreed, a shitty list. Too much Neil Young, Sonic Youth, and Morrisey solo. Not enough Van Halen

VH1 and 1984 are included. Not sure what else you'd have in? Maybe VHII or Women and Children.

Nothing from Van Hagar merits consideration.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    El_K said:

Careful
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Next time you roll through White Wakanda @BleachedAnusDawg you can swing by Casa de Piss. We’ll smoke some joints and listen to John Coltrane records. Maybe @DerekJohnson can join in as he’s passing through on the way to Reno.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,876
    edited July 2023

El_K said:

VH1 and 1984 are included. Not sure what else you'd have in? Maybe VHII or Women and Children.

Fair Warming > 1984 imho

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

El_K said:

Fair Warming > 1984 imho

Nah. Fair Warning is a fun record with some great songs, but 1984 has more classic tracks overall.
  • Options

El_K said:

Fair Warming > 1984 imho

Nah. Fair Warning is a fun record with some great songs, but 1984 has more classic tracks overall.
    Every board has a pop music superiority guy.

Strike that poor boy down.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2023

El_K said:

Fair Warming > 1984 imho

Every board has a pop music superiority guy.

Strike that poor boy down.

The Sonos System at the @PurpleThrobber Guns n' Religion compound just can't compete with the YellaPiss hi fi in my shitty, little 1 bedroom White Wakanda studio apartment.

I've listened to all these albums in great detail and feel confident in my music snob assessments.

• Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

El_K said:

Fair Warming > 1984 imho

Fair Warning may not have as much classic tracks, but it has (arguably) their two best. Therefore, that pushes it over the edge.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    alumni94 said:

El_K said:

Fair Warming > 1984 imho

Fair Warning may not have as much classic tracks, but it has (arguably) their two best. Therefore, that pushes it over the edge.
    I do love me some Dirty Movies
  • Options
    Founders Club

El_K said:

Fair Warming > 1984 imho

More skip tracks on 1984. Jump, Top Jimmy, I'll Wait. Also, the synth...ugh. Panama and Hot For Teacher are top-shelf VH songs, though.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

El_K said:

Fair Warming > 1984 imho

More skip tracks on 1984. Jump, Top Jimmy, I'll Wait. Also, the synth...ugh. Panama and Hot For Teacher are top-shelf VH songs, though.
    I don't get all the synth on 1984. I always thought I'll Wait could've been a kickass song played by a hard rock band rather than an 80s pop abomination.

Hot For Teacher is the best VH song, so that's worth some points.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

El_K said:

Fair Warming > 1984 imho

Bruh, you can’t appreciate the synths on the shitty car toys stereo in your ‘85 IROC- Z.
  • Options
    chuck said:

El_K said:

Fair Warming > 1984 imho

I don't get all the synth on 1984. I always thought I'll Wait could've been a kickass song played by a hard rock band rather than an 80s pop abomination.

Hot For Teacher is the best VH song, so that's worth some points.
    Best video =/= best song.

• Options
    Founders Club

El_K said:

Fair Warming > 1984 imho

Bruh, you can’t appreciate the synths on the shitty car toys stereo in your ‘85 IROC- Z.
    Van Halen was not put on Earth to play shitty synth crap.
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,100
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Imagine a melded record of Fair Warning and 1984.

You can make your own track order

Mean Street
    Unchained
    Panama
    So This Is Love
    Drop Dead Legs

Hot for Teacher
    Hear About it Later
    Top Jimmy
    Girl Gone Bad
    House of Pain

Best. Album. Ever.