Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Public Service Announcement: Samsung or LG Fridge Problems? Great Solution on E-Bay

TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
My French Door Samsung decided to go on the fritz last summer and began to intermittently fail, first in the freezer area by not keeping things cold, then the bugs moved up into the fridge. After checking all the seals, vacuuming out all the dust, etc., it worked okay for about another week, then the problems returned.

Somehow my research led me to E-Bay where some dudes out of Utah were repairing the circuit boards of these fridges, installing all new heavier duty components and returning them through the mail within a week. The entire cost - including postage - was under $100, so I went for it, signed the paperwork and shipped my board to the Utah address.

Within a week, the board was returned, as promised and it was noticeably heavier, weighing at least twice what it did when I sent it off. So I plugged that sucker back in, fired up the fridge, and it's been working like new for the past 10 months.

Great fucking solution that will likely outlast the original board, which lasted 15+ years. And I didn't have to dissemble and dispose of a 3k+ fridge that again works as good as new.

You're welcome, you degenerate bastards.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,926
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My Thermador fridge was made in the USA and more than $5K. If the circut board goes tits up I'm gonna lose my fucking chit.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

My Thermador fridge was made in the USA and more than $5K. If the circuit board goes tits up I'm gonna lose my fucking chit.

Sunk my $$ into the stove and *legendary* Miele DW. (*just ask @dflea)

Skimped a little on the fridge in comparison, and bought it at Lowes, but still spent over 3k. And many friends had bought Samsungs and loved them at the time, and the French Door style rocks. I hate throwing out anything when 95% of it is still fine, and we throw enough shit into landfills already, so.......

Fuck You, Greta! I did my part!
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,854
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fuck Samsung. Went through like 4 of those bitches. Best Buy just finally caved and said “here’s your money back. We can’t fix it. Get another brand.”

• Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,097
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I have had good luck with Kitchen Aid fudge from 2009-2019. Sold that home

Then we bought all Whirlpool at the new place and no issues.

Next place the sellers tried to unload their LG fridge. Said no thanks. Stuck with Whirlpool fridge. And got a new Whirlpool above the stove microwave. GE gas stove works fine. We use the Ninja Foodi to bake stuff.

The Samsung dishwasher blows.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Not a good look for S. Korea in this thread. Hurts @DerekJohnson imho.
  • Options

Fuck Samsung. Went through like 4 of those bitches. Best Buy just finally caved and said “here’s your money back. We can’t fix it. Get another brand.”

Cheap components, I'll bet.

Like I said, the renewed board weighed two or three times what the original did.

Merican Components, baby.
  • Options
    El_K said:

I have had good luck with Kitchen Aid fudge from 2009-2019. Sold that home

Then we bought all Whirlpool at the new place and no issues.

Next place the sellers tried to unload their LG fridge. Said no thanks. Stuck with Whirlpool fridge. And got a new Whirlpool above the stove microwave. GE gas stove works fine. We use the Ninja Foodi to bake stuff.

The Samsung dishwasher blows.

I bought a Whirlpool Chest Freezer at Costco that we keep in the garage, and except for turning off the breaker and forgetting to turn it back on for a few days, I've had zero problems with it, and everything stayed frozen or partially frozen for 4 days.

Had to defrost it to get the Elk and Beef blood off the bags of veggies and chicken breasts, but aside from hosing that shit out through the side drain, it's been a godsend. Should probably put a lock on that breaker tab.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,038
    Founders Club

Not a good look for S. Korea in this thread. Hurts @DerekJohnson imho.

Just don't blame IU!
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,876
    Founders Club

My Thermador fridge was made in the USA and more than $5K. If the circuit board goes tits up I'm gonna lose my fucking chit.

Skimped a little on the fridge in comparison, and bought it at Lowes, but still spent over 3k. And many friends had bought Samsungs and loved them at the time, and the French Door style rocks. I hate throwing out anything when 95% of it is still fine, and we throw enough shit into landfills already, so.......

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,876
    Founders Club
    My first TV & VCR we’re both Samsung and I fell in love with the brand and the quality. I haven’t owned a non Samsung TV since 2008 at least and no problems with any of them.

When we bought our current home, the previous owners put all Samsung appliances in the kitchen and the washing machine was a newer Samsung as well. The dryer was and still is an old school Kenmore; 2 dials and a button and that motherfucker works.

In 2020, I bought a townhome as a rental property and had to put a washer & dryer in there so I went to an appliance store and the guy recommended Hotpoint. Said the specific set was basic but very sturdy and dependable.

Fast forward to 2 months ago and the Hotpoint washer stops working. I take a look and follow the advice of every IT help desk and turned it off and on again. Worked for another day and then crapped out. Call my appliance repair guy and as soon as he sees it, says “oh you got one of these cheap Chinese made ones” before looking at it to see the motor is leaking oil and trashed.

He tells me I’m better buying a new one than trying to repair the Hotpoint so I ask for recommendations. He said Speedqueen and I think either Whirlpool or Maytag - 1 of these brands is now a Chinese company that also produces Hotpoint and the other is still good quality.

Back up to my Samsung washer which Mrs Nacho did not like so the Samsung went into the rental and Mrs Nacho got a brand new Speedqueen. In just under 2 months, she’s told me probably 8 times how much she loves the new washer.

Regarding my other Samsung appliances, the dishwasher sucks, the fridge is ok and the stove/microwave do the job but I’m not buying any Samsung appliance going toward.

Goddamn, I just wrote a @Tequilla style about appliances. Fucking shoot me.

• Options
    I report. You decide.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,505
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I heard at one point, several years back, that the availability of repairs services for the Korean brand appliances are extremely limited. No clue if that's still the case. I went with Made in America Whirlpool appliances when we bought our house 5 years ago and they've been mostly fine other than a having to replace the freezer LED a couple times (which also makes the refrigerator lights quit working).
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

We've got a nice Samsung (Frame) TV, but wouldn't touch their appliances with a ten foot pole. I also hate Kia and Hyundai.

@BennyBeaver tried to push me into getting a Miele DW, but went with an Ottoman Turk (Beko) machine.

• Options

I heard at one point, several years back, that the availability of repairs services for the Korean brand appliances are extremely limited. No clue if that's still the case. I went with Made in America Whirlpool appliances when we bought our house 5 years ago and they've been mostly fine other than a having to replace the freezer LED a couple times (which also makes the refrigerator lights quit working).

I think this is true. Hence, my E-Bay discovery and satisfaction with the Utah based garage repair shop that rebuilt my "motherboard" essentially.

<$100 and it runs like new.
  • Options
    Founders Club

We've got a nice Samsung (Frame) TV, but wouldn't touch their appliances with a ten foot pole. I also hate Kia and Hyundai.

@BennyBeaver tried to push me into getting a Miele DW, but went with an Ottoman Turk (Beko) machine.

Yeah, totally used to shit on them, too. We bought a Telluride a year ago (after a 10 month wait on our order) after seeing it win a ton of awards from car mags. Has been a great family rig so far and the dealer included a 20 year, 200k mile warranty. Probably will need a big dick Suburban or something in 5 years, anyways.
  • Options
    Founders Club

My first TV & VCR we’re both Samsung and I fell in love with the brand and the quality. I haven’t owned a non Samsung TV since 2008 at least and no problems with any of them.

When we bought our current home, the previous owners put all Samsung appliances in the kitchen and the washing machine was a newer Samsung as well. The dryer was and still is an old school Kenmore; 2 dials and a button and that motherfucker works.

In 2020, I bought a townhome as a rental property and had to put a washer & dryer in there so I went to an appliance store and the guy recommended Hotpoint. Said the specific set was basic but very sturdy and dependable.

Fast forward to 2 months ago and the Hotpoint washer stops working. I take a look and follow the advice of every IT help desk and turned it off and on again. Worked for another day and then crapped out. Call my appliance repair guy and as soon as he sees it, says “oh you got one of these cheap Chinese made ones” before looking at it to see the motor is leaking oil and trashed.

He tells me I’m better buying a new one than trying to repair the Hotpoint so I ask for recommendations. He said Speedqueen and I think either Whirlpool or Maytag - 1 of these brands is now a Chinese company that also produces Hotpoint and the other is still good quality.

Back up to my Samsung washer which Mrs Nacho did not like so the Samsung went into the rental and Mrs Nacho got a brand new Speedqueen. In just under 2 months, she’s told me probably 8 times how much she loves the new washer.

Regarding my other Samsung appliances, the dishwasher sucks, the fridge is ok and the stove/microwave do the job but I’m not buying any Samsung appliance going toward.

Goddamn, I just wrote a @Tequilla style about appliances. Fucking shoot me.

When we bought our house it had a Speedqueen washing machine in it. Looks like something I used in a laundrymat 20 years ago while at UW. I said "WTF is Speedqueen," but didn't bother replacing it since it worked and we had to replace all the other appliances. Still runs like a champ and the wife says it works great.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Yeah, totally used to shit on them, too. We bought a Telluride a year ago (after a 10 month wait on our order) after seeing it win a ton of awards from car mags. Has been a great family rig so far and the dealer included a 20 year, 200k mile warranty. Probably will need a big dick Suburban or something in 5 years, anyways.
    Your praise of the Telluride has me intrigued if I decide to go with an SUV as my next car.

What’s the max passenger weight capacity? Hopefully well over 600 lbs.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Your praise of the Telluride has me intrigued if I decide to go with an SUV as my next car.

What’s the max passenger weight capacity? Hopefully well over 600 lbs.
    Not sure about payload, but it can tow 5,000 lbs with the tow package (which we did get) so worst case just strap your fatass to a trailer and have someone chauffer you around.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,349
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My wife bought me a Samsung 4k for my birthday

Awesome picture
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm sure they're fine, but I'm resistant to change on cars. I only buy Axis brand cars excluding Italy.