Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jen Cohen's interview with Christian Caple

13»

Comments

• KimsCopperPennyKimsCopperPenny Member Posts: 221

Tequilla said:

When I saw this come out I was looking forward to learning something. I posted it tonight in the Wam. But... Caple lobbed softballs at her and she gave non-answers or canned, cliche'd responses. She was not challenged at all and the whole thing was just a waste of everybody's time. I came away with even less confidence in her ability to lead this athletic department.

Her only strong statements were she's excited about new LED lights in the stadium for the gameday experience, and they're halfway to getting 5,000 new ticket holders. (Net or gross?)

I don't like to be negative about her but this is how I see the situation.

You had any confidence remaining?

There’s no way she’s granting any interview that poses hard hitting questions

Being excited about seizure inducing LED boards sums Jen up in a single comment
    Ditch the fucking lights and fire Mike Hopkins instead

Before he gives me a seizure.

Worthless fucking AD. Worthless.

Tequilla said:

When I saw this come out I was looking forward to learning something. I posted it tonight in the Wam. But... Caple lobbed softballs at her and she gave non-answers or canned, cliche'd responses. She was not challenged at all and the whole thing was just a waste of everybody's time. I came away with even less confidence in her ability to lead this athletic department.

Her only strong statements were she's excited about new LED lights in the stadium for the gameday experience, and they're halfway to getting 5,000 new ticket holders. (Net or gross?)

Tequilla said:

How does she keep her job?
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,799 Founders Club
    I seem to remember that in one of Sonics Q&A threads in 2021 that someone questioned Cohens job status with the failed Hopkins, Wynn and Lake hires all coming to a head in quick succession. His answer was that enough influential big money donors were on her side and they were plenty pleased with her performance. If Sonics was right and you take into account DeBoers first season I’d say her seat is unfortunately as cool as it probably could be right now.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

I seem to remember that in one of Sonics Q&A threads in 2021 that someone questioned Cohens job status with the failed Hopkins, Wynn and Lake hires all coming to a head in quick succession. His answer was that enough influential big money donors were on her side and they were plenty pleased with her performance. If Sonics was right and you take into account DeBoers first season I’d say her seat is unfortunately as cool as it probably could be right now.

100% this is the case

Reality is that the UW and it’s biggest supporters want to win but aren’t obsessed with winning

Jen’s the perfect vehicle for leading the department as she’s great at the rah rah stuff that keeps the important people happy but isn’t all in to the point of demanding more than a good try good effort from her programs
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club

The UW AD is a large business that relies on a dying product (in this region) for a majority of its income, and people think the CEO is at fault when in reality she's just a figurehead."

Bingo. Shiniest newest typewriter is still just a typewriter.

UW football isn't a dying product ... it's a neglected product that has had YEARS of neglect behind it and will require YEARS of focused engagement to turn around.

UW has a generation (+) of potential fans that are apathetic about Husky Football and look at it as a entertainment option/casual event to attend if all the stars line up (start time, success of team, opponent, etc). What should be most alarming to UW AD is how inexpensive it is to get into the average home game via any number sources (family, friends, 2ndary Markets, scalpers, even UW itself) and even then how many thousands of empty seats there are.

• dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,767 Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

100% this is the case

Reality is that the UW and it’s biggest supporters want to win but aren’t obsessed with winning

Jen’s the perfect vehicle for leading the department as she’s great at the rah rah stuff that keeps the important people happy but isn’t all in to the point of demanding more than a good try good effort from her programs
    Perfect vehicle… do tell.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    There are certain softballs right down the middle that the HH faithful never disappoint in hitting out of the park
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,518 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2023
    The entire interview just reads like the AD said "Well, it's been months and we need to tell our fans something to try and drum up as many last minute season ticket purchases as possible, let's just say this shit."

She admitted that there is uncertainty wrt conference realignment. That and the optimism of the team this year were the only points that sounded truthful. I guess the basketball facility too.

I don't think Paul Finebaums statements are just his opinions. He is being told to say what is likely the only probable outcome at this point. Top 6 schools in the Pac will get impatient/panic if this is truly going to go to Labor Day Weekend now.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club
    haie said:

The entire interview just reads like the AD said "Well, it's been months and we need to tell our fans something to try and drum up as many last minute season ticket purchases as possible, let's just say this shit."

She admitted that there is uncertainty wrt conference realignment. That and the optimism of the team this year were the only points that sounded truthful. I guess the basketball facility too.

I don't think Paul Finebaums statements are just his opinions. He is being told to say what is likely the only probable outcome at this point. Top 6 schools in the Pac will get impatient/panic if this is truly going to go to Labor Day Weekend now.

Negotiations have been going on for a year. Even if the P12 Presidents don't have every detail, by now they must have a pretty good idea what the money is from the top 2 offers.

My fear is if I'm one of the 4 corner schools is how many avail chairs there are in the B12 and how long their avail for. If the best deal is for 8-10 million less than B12 and GOR is same time frame is what the Pac is being offered, does UW/Oregon/Bay Schools look at them as a landing spot until the Big10 comes calling?

Jen learned well from Pete. Give 500 word vague answers that say nothing.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,422 Founders Club
    godawgst said:

haie said:

Negotiations have been going on for a year. Even if the P12 Presidents don't have every detail, by now they must have a pretty good idea what the money is from the top 2 offers.

My fear is if I'm one of the 4 corner schools is how many avail chairs there are in the B12 and how long their avail for. If the best deal is for 8-10 million less than B12 and GOR is same time frame is what the Pac is being offered, does UW/Oregon/Bay Schools look at them as a landing spot until the Big10 comes calling?

Jen learned well from Pete. Give 500 word vague answers that say nothing.
    I don't think Jen has given the media the bird during a presser yet, no?