Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

It's Safety First for Huskies' Well-Traveled Dominique Hampton

2»

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,535
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

I hate Turner but there is something to the defense always being better with him on the field. He will never like tackling. That isn’t going to change.

Tallest midget out there at times is what you're really saying, and it wasn't always true. One shouldn't discount the plays made against the defense that a safety who isn't a pussy might've stopped for modest gain.
    Hampton is honestly no where to be seen

Asa looked much better this year than in years past.

He actually played really well against Oregon State and Texas. Oregon, not so much.

Hampton is only noticeable when he gets burned.

Im fine with Turner if we have a more phyiscal presence at the other safety position. Hampton was supposed to be that dude and isnt anywhere to be found, other than a big penalty versus UCLA and a few torches versus Oregon.

The secondary is definitely not great after a decade of physical, sound play. Need big improvements from Turner and everyone else.
  • Options
    SonnyShackelfordSonnyShackelford Member Posts: 917
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Still unfathomable to me that DeBoer couldn’t land the All Conference safety from Fresno, who instead chose to be a fucking duck.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Still unfathomable to me that DeBoer couldn’t land the All Conference safety from Fresno, who instead chose to be a fucking duck.

I mean his brother went to Oregon so I wouldn't call it unfathomable. Still seems like he should have been a get.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Hampton was our nickel and played mostly coverage. It's probably a good thing we didn't remember him last season, he got beat a couple times. Having him play outside leverage on Donte Thornton with no safety help in the MOF had me screaming for Morrell to be fired. He was mostly solid all year.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,563
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited March 2023

chuck said:

I hate Turner but there is something to the defense always being better with him on the field. He will never like tackling. That isn’t going to change.

Tallest midget out there at times is what you're really saying, and it wasn't always true. One shouldn't discount the plays made against the defense that a safety who isn't a pussy might've stopped for modest gain.

He actually played really well against Oregon State and Texas. Oregon, not so much.

Im fine with Turner if we have a more phyiscal presence at the other safety position. Hampton was supposed to be that dude and isnt anywhere to be found, other than a big penalty versus UCLA and a few torches versus Oregon.

The secondary is definitely not great after a decade of physical, sound play. Need big improvements from Turner and everyone else.
    Not intending to be negative, but if Im the other teams OC and he is on the field I'm going to design plays where he is forced into 1/1 coverage with my primary receiver through forced switches as the play evolves for an over the top play for 6. Bluntly put, he is a good tackler but is slow even for a safety ~ you definitely have to cover up for the guy with your scheme.
  • Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

chuck said:

Not intending to be negative, but if Im the other teams OC and he is on the field I'm going to design plays where he is forced into 1/1 coverage with my primary receiver through forced switches as the play evolves for an over the top play for 6. Bluntly put, he is a good tackler but is slow even for a safety ~ you definitely have to cover up for the guy with your scheme.
    Under lake is looked like Asa was playing a lot more man to man, and was the “robber” in man-free coverages which - exposes his slow ass. The scheme this year went more and more towards leaving him in the 1 high safety role, keeping everything in front of him rather than having him actually have to guard a WR.

In the ASU game they threw in Dunn to play that same role as Asa and he was 3-4 yards farther out of position… not good.

In short - Morrell / Inge found out quickly that he can’t cover shit, and they found a way to hide him.