Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Offishul YellowSnow's Record Shoppe BBQ/meat smoking thread

There will be no discussion of cooking hamburgers on a grill here. That is not barbecue. Nor is it BBQ. That is grilling meat. If you are doing that because people are coming over to your house, that is a cookout. Cookouts and grilling meat on a direct flame are good, fun things, and we should do them, but they are not the same as putting a big ole slab of meat on a smoker for 10+ hours.

There will also be no discussion of ribs in a crockpot.

Anyway, lets discuss. Smokers, cuts, WOOD, spices, whatever.

It's a beautiful day in the DMV and the golf course is closed on Mondays so I'm going to call in to meetings while firing up the Weber Smoky Mountain for a whole chicken and a leg of lamb. Have never done a leg of lamb before (other than one time when a bunch of buddies and I did a whole lamb pit roasted, that was amazing) so will see what happens. Experimenting is fun. The internets indicate that the time it takes to get to medium rare are about the same about of time as a whole chicken, (3 hours). Going with hickory WOOD chunks today.

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I grill therefore I am

You all go on with you fancy smokers and barbecue. It's good stuff

That's why I always knew where the best places to buy it are
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I've done some bone in, legs of lamb in the Weber kettle grill using indirect heat and a bit of hickory wood over the Kingsford.

The results were excellent.

My bitch face ex wife was half Greek, so I've seen those Hellenistic bros do an entire lamb on a spit.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    If I like my crockpot, can I keep it?
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    whlinder said:

There will be no discussion of cooking hamburgers on a grill here. That is not barbecue. Nor is it BBQ. That is grilling meat. If you are doing that because people are coming over to your house, that is a cookout. Cookouts and grilling meat on a direct flame are good, fun things, and we should do them, but they are not the same as putting a big ole slab of meat on a smoker for 10+ hours.

There will also be no discussion of ribs in a crockpot.

Anyway, lets discuss. Smokers, cuts, WOOD, spices, whatever.

It's a beautiful day in the DMV and the golf course is closed on Mondays so I'm going to call in to meetings while firing up the Weber Smoky Mountain for a whole chicken and a leg of lamb. Have never done a leg of lamb before (other than one time when a bunch of buddies and I did a whole lamb pit roasted, that was amazing) so will see what happens. Experimenting is fun. The internets indicate that the time it takes to get to medium rare are about the same about of time as a whole chicken, (3 hours). Going with hickory WOOD chunks today.

Pics or didn’t happen.
    Swaye's Wigwam

If I like my crockpot, can I keep it?

Is it a Miele brand crockpot @BennyBeaver ?
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I smoke on my big green egg with a flame boss. Excellent results. Been smoking salmon lately as I finally got a good recipe I like. I found a great local place that has a vast selection of wood for cooking.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Standard XMas is taking a full prime rib roast and putting it out on the big egg for however long it takes

Long and slow off of direct heat is important

My Dad uses all kinds of wood but I tend to be more partial to apple than richer woods

Long and slow is the key to anything ...

Vegi's on the grill is a big time winner as well
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Standard XMas is taking a full prime rib roast and putting it out on the big egg for however long it takes

My Dad uses all kinds of wood but I tend to be more partial to apple than richer woods

PM me @Tequilla for Xmas prime rib thermometer advice. I’ll get you straightened out.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    Founders Club
    Can we get back to talking about grilling burgers?
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,394
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Burgers on a Weber kettle, directly over charcoal with hickory wood. Can't be beat. Look for about a 300 degree temp to give the smoke a couple extra minutes.

Of course, season with coarse salt and pepper.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Tequilla said:

PM me @Tequilla for Xmas prime rib thermometer advice. I’ll get you straightened out.

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I heart St. Patrick's day not just for the drinking but because Corned Beef Briskets are plentiful and cheap. Smoked pastrami is one of my favorites.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Burgers on a Weber kettle, directly over charcoal with hickory wood. Can't be beat. Look for about a 300 degree temp to give the smoke a couple extra minutes.

Me and @BleachedAnusDawg don't align on some things, but we are both technically proficient Weber kettle grill masters.

The Weber Kettle grill remains to single most versatile piece of outdoor cooking equipment ever invented. It can grill and it can BBQ. You can BBQ a pork shoulder or a brisket in one if you are very careful about controlling the amount of charcoal and airflow.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

I heart St. Patrick's day not just for the drinking but because Corned Beef Briskets are plentiful and cheap. Smoked pastrami is one of my favorites.

Shout out to @Mad_Son

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,394
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Me and @BleachedAnusDawg don't align on some things, but we are both technically proficient Weber kettle grill masters.

The Weber Kettle grill remains to single most versatile piece of outdoor cooking equipment ever invented. It can grill and it can BBQ. You can BBQ a pork shoulder or a brisket in one if you are very careful about controlling the amount of charcoal and airflow.
    Snake method is the shit for low and slow when doing pork butt or brisket.

Picked one of these up for indirect bbq. The water break helps to keep it humid and also helps to keep the temperature even. Highly recommend. https://www.amazon.com/Slow-Sear-Original-Charcoal-Grills/dp/B084ZWJ2J1/ref=asc_df_B084ZWJ2J1/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416696576536&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=265508889368940712&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060423&hvtargid=pla-891274866143&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=92049668097&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416696576536&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=265508889368940712&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060423&hvtargid=pla-891274866143
    Swaye's Wigwam

Snake method is the shit for low and slow when doing pork butt or brisket.

Picked one of these up for indirect bbq. The water break helps to keep it humid and also helps to keep the temperature even. Highly recommend. https://www.amazon.com/Slow-Sear-Original-Charcoal-Grills/dp/B084ZWJ2J1/ref=asc_df_B084ZWJ2J1/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416696576536&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=265508889368940712&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060423&hvtargid=pla-891274866143&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=92049668097&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416696576536&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=265508889368940712&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060423&hvtargid=pla-891274866143
    Well that's pretty slick. Might order that. For 20 years now I've just piled some charcoal on one side and put the meat on the other.Put a water pan in the middle. But this system looks easier to manage.

People also forget you can turn a Weber gas grill into a BBQ as well. Put the back burner on low and leave the other off. This is my system when I wanna cook ribs but I'm being lazy AF.

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

My step-mom had one job for XMas dinner this year ... ONE JOB

No running water made the whole holiday season a bit stressful period ... I'll give a mulligan for this year
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2023
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

My step-mom had one job for XMas dinner this year ... ONE JOB

No running water made the whole holiday season a bit stressful period ... I'll give a mulligan for this year
    Well there's your problem. Who in their right mind let's thier M.I.L. - unless she's like Martha Stewart or something - go anywhere near the damn prime rib? Jeebus mang.

Furthermore, you gotta have a feel for time and oven temp to predict meat temps after a number of hours. You don't wanna be 5 hrs in on a slow roast and realize you're getting bad thermometer reads.
  • Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,809
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

It can smoke too. I have smoked many briskets and pork shoulders using a Weber. The key to smoking with a Weber is the snake technique for laying out the charcoal and wood chunks. It is pretty much a “set it and forget it” set up.