Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

'Dead crabs' on beach are often just old exoskeletons

Comments

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Yep

Dungeness crab is practically free right now
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,486
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,898
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

$6/lb.

I paid $9.99 the other day. Basically free for Deschutes river crabs
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,486
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Soon as I say $6 a lb, I buy it at $5 a lb at Costco.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183

Soon as I say $6 a lb, I buy it at $5 a lb at Costco.

$5 here in the real Inland Empire
  • Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    dflea said:

Crab is about as cheap as I've ever seen it right now - so if you like Dungeness crab, go get it.

I was out crabbing last weekend and we pulled a pot that had only been soaking about 20 minutes. It was so full the doors wouldn't open to let another crab in. It's been years since I've seen crabbing like that. In the last week, I've eaten crab in about every way I could think of - and it was fucking awesome.

Dungeonous $18/pound here, snow crab a little less. Still way too high. Got like, $32/pound when everything shot up last year. Fk that.

It has came down but still expensive here. Blue crab not as bad because it’s abundant locally.

Far as exoskeletons, full moon will turn their shells soft. Blue crab. Can walk the islands or beach and get em and they’re not dead but molting, so to speak. Good stuff.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Bunch of Crabbing Superiority Guys in this thread
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,862
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Bunch of Crabbing Superiority Guys in this thread

I’m not surprised so many of our plasters have experience dealing with crabs.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,863
    Standard Supporter
    $15 a pound where I live. Is that cheap?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    dflea said:

Crab is about as cheap as I've ever seen it right now - so if you like Dungeness crab, go get it.

I was out crabbing last weekend and we pulled a pot that had only been soaking about 20 minutes. It was so full the doors wouldn't open to let another crab in. It's been years since I've seen crabbing like that. In the last week, I've eaten crab in about every way I could think of - and it was fucking awesome.

Chintriguing. Any reason why?
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

Pretty sure it good ocean conditions and a late commercial opener. The commercial crabbers will clean them out pretty quickly I think considering how many pots we in the bay - they were everywhere.

Dungies are meaty crabs - about 25% meat by weight - so you'll get a half pound of picked meat from a 2 pound crab.

$15 a pound right now is robbery.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

dflea said:

dflea said:

Pretty sure it good ocean conditions and a late commercial opener. The commercial crabbers will clean them out pretty quickly I think considering how many pots we in the bay - they were everywhere.

Dungies are meaty crabs - about 25% meat by weight - so you'll get a half pound of picked meat from a 2 pound crab.

You like to call Metacarcinus magister "Dungies." That's what you like to do.
    Methinks one Crab Superiority Guy is Praetor.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,821
    dflea said:

dflea said:

Do dungies pair better with sativa or indica?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

dflea said:

dflea said:

• Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    I hate crab superiority guysms…

The horror.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

dflea said:

Sativa if it's for breakfast or lunch. Indica if it's for dinner or a midnight snack.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,563
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited February 2023

dflea said:

dflea said:

You like to call Metacarcinus magister "Dungies." That's what you like to do.
    To go more in depth on these eco ocean issues, i can whole heartedly recommend the preeminent book on the subject ~ "Waves and Beaches", a thrilling and informative read, and the seminal discussion of the intricacies involved in oceans, waves, estuaries and beach formation. I know, Wow.

About 1/3 of the book is dedicated to the Latin Names of crustaceans [you are going to memorize those] and such so this will be very helpful in day to day discussions with friends and loved ones as well. Enjoy.