Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Gordon Ramsay: how to cook the perfect steak.

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I just learned that prepping garlic doesn't need to take me so long, at least not for a steak.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

I just learned that prepping garlic doesn't need to take me so long, at least not for a steak.

Same here
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Garlic press !
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Too bad he didn’t show the inside to prove his expertise.

My go-to meat rub:
    https://fivemarysmeats.com/products/m5-spice-rub
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    They don't have bbq's in England, do they?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I did a really fat NY just like this last night. I would've normally reverse seared it but I just let it warm on the counter for a good long while and managed med-rare with a nice crust. Fuckin good.

chuck said:

Garlic press !
    You still have to peel it for that. I don't know if I'll ever peel another clove now that I've seen the light.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

I did a really fat NY just like this last night. I would've normally reverse seared it but I just let it warm on the counter for a good long while and managed med-rare with a nice crust. Fuckin good.

chuck said:

Garlic press !
    You still have to peel it for that. I don't know if I'll ever peel another clove now that I've seen the light.
    I used to buy a lot of minced (Chinese slave peeled) garlic cause I was lazy AF, but it just tastes like shit compared to fresh.

I don't mind peeling as much as chopping. The garlic press still saves a lot of time.

I've had success reverse searing on the grill for a bit - let it rest for a bit - and then get the final high temp sear in cast iron.

Get the best of both worlds this way.
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

Garlic press !
    I used to buy a lot of minced (Chinese slave peeled) garlic cause I was lazy AF, but it just tastes like shit compared to fresh.

I don't mind peeling as much as chopping. The garlic press still saves a lot of time.

I've had success reverse searing on the grill for a bit - let it rest for a bit - and then get the final high temp sear in cast iron.

For me it's the peeling that's annoying. That shit gets everywhere and I get yelled at regularly for not cleaning all of it up. I also used to buy big jars of Christopher Ranch minced garlic. It definitely tastes and smells like shit compared to fresh. I'd rather use granulated.

I did it his way with about half a bulb, maybe 8sverage size cloves. Crushed them a little with my hand. The butter really absorbed the flavor.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Too bad he didn’t show the inside to prove his expertise.

My go-to meat rub:
    https://fivemarysmeats.com/products/m5-spice-rub

Did @SafewayFrank recommend that @BennyBeaver ?
    Like we say, No.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,850
    Standard Supporter
    I have some friends that are obsessed with always cooking steaks perfectly each time. They spend all evening prepping everything, chopping stuff, lighting the barbecue, etc. Then when everything is ready, there's about 15 minutes of actual eating and then we're done and there's at least 20 minutes of clean up.

I dunno. I love a good steak. It's just never worth all that hassle. It's just food. Plenty of better ways to stimulate that dopamine.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,850
    Standard Supporter
    edited February 2023
    I mean hey if you like cooking and food as a source of entertainment, more power to you. It's just not my thing.

Unless I'm cooking for somebody else, like a lady. Then it's more fun. I'll sip on a beer and visit.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I mean hey if you like cooking and food as a source of entertainment, more power to you. It's just not my thing.

Unless I'm cooking for somebody else, like a lady. Then it's more fun. I'll sip on a beer and visit.

I have procured some nice vajzeen on more than one occasion with my steak cooking skillz.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I was cooked a sous vide steak not long ago for the first tim. Wouldn't be my number one choice but it was damned good.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have some friends that are obsessed with always cooking steaks perfectly each time. They spend all evening prepping everything, chopping stuff, lighting the barbecue, etc. Then when everything is ready, there's about 15 minutes of actual eating and then we're done and there's at least 20 minutes of clean up.

I dunno. I love a good steak. It's just never worth all that hassle. It's just food. Plenty of better ways to stimulate that dopamine.

You're treading on Yella board sacred ground here lol.

I don't think I spent two minutes on prep for the steak I posted about. I sliced up half an onion to saute in the steak pan and a tomato for a small salad. Then I ate it really slow, more like 20 minutes. My dog was begging so I took my time and made him suffer.
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Garlic press !

For me it's the peeling that's annoying. That shit gets everywhere and I get yelled at regularly for not cleaning all of it up. I also used to buy big jars of Christopher Ranch minced garlic. It definitely tastes and smells like shit compared to fresh. I'd rather use granulated.

I did it his way with about half a bulb, maybe 8sverage size cloves. Crushed them a little with my hand. The butter really absorbed the flavor.
    I've tried it his way three times now and I'm getting it down to a science. I don't know if this makes me a retard, but I've always cooked with either butter or olive oil, but not both. I bought the air fryer because I was tired of all the smoke from the butter burning on the cast iron. But like Gordon says, start with the olive oil so it doesn't burn then add your crushed garlic and butter after you've gotten your sear.

I'm getting the searing down just right, and I'll be damned if it doesn't taste as good as almost any restaurant I've been to, with a couple of notable exceptions.

I really appreciate this video.
    The olive oil first thing was also informative to me.