Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Penix supporting UW Hockey

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,862
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,898
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2023
    What next ? UW Rugby warm ups ?

@UW_Doog_Bot
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    UW gonna need get real with hockey if they want to play in the B1G. BCHL puts lots of players in to colleges out east so I'm sure theres lots of players that would like a local school to go to
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,474
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's pathetic that ASU has an arena that is so legit the Phoenix coyotes will play there, while UW 3 hours from BC has it as a fucking club sport.

Fucking unreal.

The Kraken will correct this long term, but still.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

It's pathetic that ASU has an arena that is so legit the Phoenix coyotes will play there, while UW 3 hours from BC has it as a fucking club sport.

Fucking unreal.

Not loaded question: how in the hell did ASU decide to have hockey as a varsity sport ?

In spite of plenty of NHL teams in the Pac 12 footprint there is no college hockey tradition out here.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2023

haie said:

Fucking unreal.

Not loaded question: how in the hell did ASU decide to have hockey as a varsity sport ?

In spite of plenty of NHL teams in the Pac 12 footprint there is no college hockey tradition out here.
    Bro I went through this for 4 years at UW. My roommates were a spoiled rich kid from Dallas who was obsessed with the Stars and some other kids from BC who were Canucks fans. We yelled at each other constantly over this topic.

If UW cuts some programs and starts Men's and Women's hockey teams, that's much better for the AD long term. Check out ASU's arena. UW could build that and sell that out every year.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

Fucking unreal.

College hockey is for the kids that can't make the pros these days.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,775
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

Fucking unreal.

College hockey is for the kids that can't make the pros these days.
    College kids make it to the NHL all the time.

Yes there's the WHL where kids don't want to play school. But if UW had a strong program they would think twice about that.

It's a better investment than a lot of things.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2023
    haie said:

Fucking unreal.

ASU's barn is decent by cawlidge hawkey standards. But make no mistake: It's a complete fucking embarrassment that an NHL team calls that place home--even temporarily.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

haie said:

Fucking unreal.

ASU's barn is decent by college hockey standards. But make no mistake: It's a complete fucking embarrassment that an NHL team calls that place home--even temporarily.
    That's an outlier situation though.

Coyotes should move up and be the new Quebec franchise.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

haie said:

Fucking unreal.

Bro I went through this for 4 years at UW. My roommates were a spoiled rich kid from Dallas who was obsessed with the Stars and some other kids from BC who were Canucks fans. We yelled at each other constantly over this topic.

If UW cuts some programs and starts Men's and Women's hockey teams, that's much better for the AD long term. Check out ASU's arena. UW could build that and sell that out every year.
    Bruh!

But what mens varsity sport is UW gonna cut to add men’s ice hockey ? We run a pretty lean list of men’s varsity sports anyhow. We ain’t got swimming, wrastling, volleyball, etc, etc
    I don't care which one. Not rowing.

But what has the other men's non revenue sports done. We're a few hours from BC we should build a program that can compete for the Frozen Four. It would attract money from both WA and BC.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The CHL (WHL, QMJHL, OHL) is definitely the more traditional path to the NHL but many many elite players come through Junior A and bridge between the NHL by playing against their age group for a year or two more. Not to mention the obvious advantage of being able to fall back on the degree that comes with playing school for the ones that aren't a lock high round pick.

Very clear path to being a high profile hockey program. Would UW build a rink on campus?
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,775
    Founders Club

haie said:

haie said:

Fucking unreal.

Bruh!

But what mens varsity sport is UW gonna cut to add men’s ice hockey ? We run a pretty lean list of men’s varsity sports anyhow. We ain’t got swimming, wrastling, volleyball, etc, etc
    Soccer. Obviously.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

haie said:

haie said:

Fucking unreal.

Bruh!

Soccer. Obviously.
    Losers lose!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Fucking unreal.

Bruh!

But what has the other men's non revenue sports done. We're a few hours from BC we should build a program that can compete for the Frozen Four. It would attract money from both WA and BC.
    But, here are my hang ups and we're I remain skeptical that UW would ever try to have Men's Hockey as a Varsity Sport...

First off, adding new Varsity Sports is expensive as fuck. Would these be scholarship student athletes? What woman's team is gonna get added then to balance that out for Title IX. One of the things that Men's Rowboat has in its favor, is that while it's a Varsity Sport at UW, me and @whlinder are rich AF so the scholarships for the guysm come out of a nearly $20 million private endowment; those 16 full rides don't count towards Title IX. The chick's numbers do as they are paid for by the Athletic Dept.

Again, when it comes to cutting a sport to add hockey, which men's team gets the Axe? There is a basic core level of non revenue men's sports teams that almost all Power 5's operate- i.e., track/xc, soccer, baseball, golf. It's hard to fathom getting rid of soccer or baseball to fun hockey. This would be madness.

Hockey to me seems like it will always be a "niche" Men's college sport like rowboat, lacrosse, water polo, wrastling, etc, where there has to be a strong pre-existing tradition and culture.

P.S. PM to @CanadianDAWG BC is vastly superior to WA for Juniors Rowing (especially on Vancouver Island). UW Crew has made hay off this for years and won Natties as a result.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Fucking unreal.

Bruh!

But, here are my hang ups and we're I remain skeptical that UW would ever try to have Men's Hockey as a Varsity Sport...

First off, adding new Varsity Sports is expensive as fuck. Would these be scholarship student athletes? What woman's team is gonna get added then to balance that out for Title IX. One of the things that Men's Rowboat has in its favor, is that while it's a Varsity Sport at UW, me and @whlinder are rich AF so the scholarships for the guysm come out of a nearly $20 million private endowment; those 16 full rides don't count towards Title IX. The chick's numbers do as they are paid for by the Athletic Dept.

Again, when it comes to cutting a sport to add hockey, which men's team gets the Axe? There is a basic core level of non revenue men's sports teams that almost all Power 5's operate- i.e., track/xc, soccer, baseball, golf. It's hard to fathom getting rid of soccer or baseball to fun hockey. This would be madness.

Hockey to me seems like it will always be a "niche" Men's college sport like rowboat, lacrosse, water polo, wrastling, etc, where there has to be a strong pre-existing tradition and culture.

P.S. PM to @CanadianDAWG BC is vastly superior to WA for Juniors Rowing (especially on Vancouver Island). UW Crew has made hay off this for years and won Natties as a result.

Why don't you add women's hockey, is that too obvious? Or is there no D1 varsity women's hockey to compete in?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Fucking unreal.

Bruh!

Why don't you add women's hockey, is that too obvious? Or is there no D1 varsity women's hockey to compete in?
    Where's the fucking money though?