Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Odunze Returning

13»

Comments

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    edited January 2023

The depth at CB will be much better next year. Another impact CB or safety would be great and is needed. It would be nice if we didn’t have to win shootouts.

I like the transfer at cb. On the other side, I just hope they can find someone. I'm not a big Powell fan and he's the best we have. Have to hope a freshman steps up
    I checked out the JC CB’s hudl as well and he looked good. Physical player. Hopefully it translates. Simply adding those guys to the mix and the other guys being a year older should lead to big improvements if the coaching is there.
    I don’t trust the DC’s to call a game or the juice to coach up the db’s. I saw stupid coverages called and just horrible recognition from the players throughout the season. Average 40 plus a game and they could improve enough on defense to win the conference though. They will absolutely cost us a game or two next season, book it.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

a parody of a parody huh

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,926 Swaye's Wigwam

The depth at CB will be much better next year. Another impact CB or safety would be great and is needed. It would be nice if we didn’t have to win shootouts.

I like the transfer at cb. On the other side, I just hope they can find someone. I'm not a big Powell fan and he's the best we have. Have to hope a freshman steps up
    I checked out the JC CB’s hudl as well and he looked good. Physical player. Hopefully it translates. Simply adding those guys to the mix and the other guys being a year older should lead to big improvements if the coaching is there.
    I'm in good position to be first and right about Dixon. I bet he's right there at the top of the depth chart if not a starting corner at some point this year.

I don’t trust the DC’s to call a game or the juice to coach up the db’s. I saw stupid coverages called and just horrible recognition from the players throughout the season. Average 40 plus a game and they could improve enough on defense to win the conference though. They will absolutely cost us a game or two next season, book it.
    LIPO

None of the DBs developed or played well under Harris and Brown besides those who were already talented like McDuffie and Gordon

Cook and Turner easily had their best years in 2022. It could be coaching, strength/conditioning, or scheme, but they moved in the right direction this year
    A season with no improvement is LIPO. They could and should be better next year with basic talent upgrades. Doesn’t mean they’re going to learn how to develop talent.

Lake was a dumbass head coach but as a position coach his secondary typically improved, recognized tendencies and routes, and understood leverage in coverage. Saw very little of that last year. It is possible that the untalented kids in the secondary were also dumb in the film room, but I blame the coaches for that.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam

LIPO

None of the DBs developed or played well under Harris and Brown besides those who were already talented like McDuffie and Gordon

Cook and Turner easily had their best years in 2022. It could be coaching, strength/conditioning, or scheme, but they moved in the right direction this year
    A season with no improvement is LIPO. They could and should be better next year with basic talent upgrades. Doesn’t mean they’re going to learn how to develop talent.

Lake was a dumbass head coach but as a position coach his secondary typically improved, recognized tendencies and routes, and understood leverage in coverage. Saw very little of that last year. It is possible that the untalented kids in the secondary were also dumb in the film room, but I blame the coaches for that.
    Again, LIPO

They might be able to coach the kids they recruit instead of the leftovers from Harris/Brown. Those kids were recruited to be in a scheme where a safety was always lined up 30 yards off the ball, so we might not have any decent CBs that can play man coverage. Then again, they might not be able to develop a secondary

Either way, it'll be interesting
  • SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,961 Founders Club

I know I'm a doog but all phases of the team improved over the season

But I get the thought that the secondary still was bad at the end

The pass rush saved them

Disagree. The punting did not improve
    TIL punting is a phase of football

The pass rush saved them

If by improvement in the secondary you mean the emergence of the dropped pass I would agree. The coverage still sucked.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,158

The pass rush saved them

Fun fact I learned from Sark while being interviewed by Softy. UW punted only 21 times all year prior to the bowl game.
  • DoogerMcFarlandDoogerMcFarland Member Posts: 741

The pass rush saved them

Fun fact I learned from Sark while being interviewed by Softy. UW punted only 21 times all year prior to the bowl game.
    Christian Caple mentioned this a couple of times. Least in FBS this year and the lowest in FBS since like 2007 (excluding COVID year).
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    Why punt when the defense is going to give up some ass no matter where you are on the field
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,524 Swaye's Wigwam
    And those 21 punts netted 15 yards. Total.