Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DeBoer has raised the bar at Washington

2»

Comments

• Options
    79smoothdawg79smoothdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 710
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Title of the thread should be "Deboer brings Washington back to the bar"
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,722
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2023

https://coloradobuffaloeswire.usatoday.com/lists/updated-pac-12-head-coach-salaries-deion-sanders-ranks-football/

DeBoer is between 4.5 an 5 million with most of the pac 12 coaches

Makes more than Smith

Not sure what the issue is
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    coloradobuffalowire.usatoday.com is your source?

Smiff $4.85m in 2023.

Smith’s guaranteed salary will start at $4.85 million next season and grow to $5.45 million by 2028, the school said. Oregon State also is adding $100,000 to its salary pool for assistant coaches (rising to $4.85 million) and support staff (rising to $2.5 million).

https://www.opb.org/article/2022/12/11/oregon-state-football-gives-jonathan-smith-new-6-year-30-million-contract/
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yeah I really don't read your guys stuff

Imagine paying a career loser that much money

DeBoer will pass him rather easily
  • Options
    FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

chuck said:

Clevdawg said:

The Washington job given the revenue generated should pay at a top 20 level. Why? the athletic department revenue is top 20 in the country. And at times top 10. When Oregon State makes a larger financial commitment to their head football coach than the UW. It demonstrates the UW’s priorities. I want UW to prioritize the football program. More to the point, if you’re capable of reading. Which by all accounts you might be to aid your understanding of correlation coefficient between coaching salaries, athletic department revenue and winning percentage.

Grab a cocktail and enjoy the article

Journal of Applied Business and Economics Vol. 22(1) 2020

You really shouldn't make snarky comments about anybody's ability to read with writing like that. I'm sure you can do better, but man that's bad.

What OSU paying smith more than UW pays Deboer tells me is that they're getting less for their money by a lot. They're thrilled with 9 wins and occasionally beating Oregon and are overpaying for it.

You're applying history, which is fine, but being and presumptuous about UWs priorities and trying to shoe horn this coach salary example in at a really illogical time. Deboer exceeded expectations and got a bump. If he progresses next year he'll get another. If he succeeds like all of us currently dooging think, he'll be among the top salaried coaches in the country before long.

Would it be more in line with your business acumen if UW was paying Matt Campbell 7.5 million to be about as good as Jonathon Smith at best?

You're criticizing UW for making a stellar hire from a lower level and getting good value for at least two years. Why would they have paid him more than he was willing to accept and more than the market dictates for someone with his credentials? It's a weird idea.
    He also flat out ignores facts like Grubb's salary, the amount of staff we have in support roles, and the NIL money we are throwing around.
    There’s almost nothing to add, except neither one of you called him a dumbfuck so I’ll help out there.
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2023
    you all really think UW administration would match a $10M/year offer?

Based on what exactly? Besides Dooging i mean.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,609
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    gmo said:

you all really think UW administration would match a $10M/year offer?

Based on what exactly? Besides Dooging i mean.

for Mel Tucker or Urban Meyer? Hell no

For a proven winner and high character man like DeBoer? Absolutely
  • Options
    ClevdawgClevdawg Member Posts: 118
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    That’s the entire point. The UW can afford 10 million and won’t do it…………….As a percentage of Athletic Department revenue we won’t do it. Jesus, Oregon State Head football coach has no business being close in total compensation to a UW Head coach yet there he is. Why? the disparity in athletic department revenue that’s generated. Btw … A half a stick raise for an assistant for UW and the fans go nuts…. That’s short money. Let’s talk NIL ? Dewand Jones Buckeye offensive tackle makes more than Penix. In fact the top 2 Buckeyes make more than the entire UW football team on NIL. UW is not serious about football. They are kinda of serious. Below is the link to chew on NIL. Even when Peterson got his big contract he was 19th highest paid coach in the country. But top on PAC-12.. Still not elite… Hey if any fan of the program thinks we will be Top 10 in the country for NIL and for coaches be my guest. UW brings in more money than Clemson. We really do..
    Athletic Revenue

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2021/06/where-does-your-school-rank-among-richest-and-poorest-power-5-college-football-programs-new-revenue-figures-for-all-65.html?outputType=amp

NIL link
    https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Clevdawg said:

That’s the entire point. The UW can afford 10 million and won’t do it…………….As a percentage of Athletic Department revenue we won’t do it. Jesus, Oregon State Head football coach has no business being close in total compensation to a UW Head coach yet there he is. Why? the disparity in athletic department revenue that’s generated. Btw … A half a stick raise for an assistant for UW and the fans go nuts…. That’s short money. Let’s talk NIL ? Dewand Jones Buckeye offensive tackle makes more than Penix. In fact the top 2 Buckeyes make more than the entire UW football team on NIL. UW is not serious about football. They are kinda of serious. Below is the link to chew on NIL. Even when Peterson got his big contract he was 19th highest paid coach in the country. But top on PAC-12.. Still not elite… Hey if any fan of the program thinks we will be Top 10 in the country for NIL and for coaches be my guest. UW brings in more money than Clemson. We really do..
    Athletic Revenue

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2021/06/where-does-your-school-rank-among-richest-and-poorest-power-5-college-football-programs-new-revenue-figures-for-all-65.html?outputType=amp

NIL link

you realize those are on3 valuations right? NIL deals aren't public information.
  • Options
    FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    Clevdawg said:

Athletic Revenue

NIL link

Context matters, for Christ sake. Lot of hand wringing over money when the coach agreed to an extension 2 weeks ago. He’s fine with the pay, as is Grubb, as is the rest of the coaching staff. Maybe you should be too? But, good to know we have all the money we need if anyone comes poaching. Maybe we should save it for that rainy day vs. throwing money for the fuck of it which you keep suggesting is the elusive key to success?

Are our guys transferring to Ohio State and I missed it? Or do you want to go the A&M route and pay 17 year old retards before they’ve even shown up on campus? I’m guessing yes based on your dumb as fuck takes so far.

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,372
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2023
    Clevdawg said:

Athletic Revenue

NIL link

Just because you’re rich and can pay more than you need to doesn’t mean you should. It’s part of getting rich in the first place.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2023
    TheHB said:

Clevdawg said:

Athletic Revenue

NIL link

Just because you’re rich and can pay more than you need to doesn’t mean you should. It’s part of getting rich in the first place.
    That is my understanding as well.
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 787
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    The Leopard learned from Mel Hopkins.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Everyone knows you pay good employees CEO money after one good year of work. Everyone knows it.

DeBoer has won 11 games in his entire career as a head coach at a P5 school and this guy wants to give him Saban money.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

Clevdawg said:

Athletic Revenue

NIL link

Might want to check your privilege
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yeah I really don't read your guys stuff

Imagine paying a career loser that much money

DeBoer will pass him rather easily

I have no proof of this, but DeBoer strikes me as a coach that doesn't need to be the highest paid in the conference as long as his assistants are happy and there's no revolving doors there.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,600
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Clevdawg said:

The Washington job given the revenue generated should pay at a top 20 level. Why? the athletic department revenue is top 20 in the country. And at times top 10. When Oregon State makes a larger financial commitment to their head football coach than the UW. It demonstrates the UW’s priorities. I want UW to prioritize the football program. More to the point, if you’re capable of reading. Which by all accounts you might be to aid your understanding of correlation coefficient between coaching salaries, athletic department revenue and winning percentage.

Grab a cocktail and enjoy the article

Journal of Applied Business and Economics Vol. 22(1) 2020

Didn't need to overpay when they hired him. Year 1 success and he got a nice bump along with his assistants pool. Win again in 2023 and he'll get another extension at porbably 6 million+ a year (or higher if another school comes calling - that money coming from UW to retain him or a new destination).

Your argument is "UW makes a lot of revenue and can pay more so they should." From my memory, UW has taken that approach exactly once when they hired Rick in 1999. That worked out for about 2 years. I don't remember what Pete got when he came here but it's pretty clear that he sought out UW as much or more than UW did him so money was not the first consideration there.

The argument about big spending equaling success is pretty pointless. The coaches making that money generally have had proven/sustained success at a high level. UW was never going to make a big dick hire given the buyout circumstances for Lake, down attendance and revenue from COVID (and Hamilton), and anticipating that Hopkins would also be a buyout in the near future.