Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Taking A Look At The Incoming Transfer Class

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,292 Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

wouldn’t be that hard to imagine LB being next years DB if a couple guys get hurt

We only have 3 LB on the roster who played in 2022: Ulofoshio, Tuputala, Bruener

Demario King should be healthy for 2023, Goforth is transferring in, and Bryant and Whitney are freshmen.

I could see another portal or two to provide actual depth since LB is prone to injuries and durability issues after a full season
    Hartineaux or whatever his name is should be a good LB
    I'm probably forgetting someone obvious, but am drawing a blank in who that is.

I think the two incoming freshmen are both just what we're asking for...smallish, fast, athletic guys who can chase down plays and lay the lumber and also run with guys coming out of the backfield.

They would help the rotation and upgrade the speed out there, but there's no excuse for relying on that with the portal out there. Go get at least one more, please.

I still like Ulo but counting on him being fully healthy or as athletic as he was before all the injuries isn't a sound strategy. Bruener is a good, instinctive hit man and I love him, but he's stiff and slow like Tupetala. These guys are OK, but the room needs more speed and more depth.

Hartineaux was a 4 star or high 3 star from Seattle that originally committed to Wisconsin and then switched to UW. Looked solid.

Ulo is going to be fine. He blocked the punt in our bowl game and will likely be our best linebacker next year if the injuries do not linger.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,033 Standard Supporter

chuck said:

wouldn’t be that hard to imagine LB being next years DB if a couple guys get hurt

We only have 3 LB on the roster who played in 2022: Ulofoshio, Tuputala, Bruener

Demario King should be healthy for 2023, Goforth is transferring in, and Bryant and Whitney are freshmen.

I could see another portal or two to provide actual depth since LB is prone to injuries and durability issues after a full season

I think the two incoming freshmen are both just what we're asking for...smallish, fast, athletic guys who can chase down plays and lay the lumber and also run with guys coming out of the backfield.

They would help the rotation and upgrade the speed out there, but there's no excuse for relying on that with the portal out there. Go get at least one more, please.

I still like Ulo but counting on him being fully healthy or as athletic as he was before all the injuries isn't a sound strategy. Bruener is a good, instinctive hit man and I love him, but he's stiff and slow like Tupetala. These guys are OK, but the room needs more speed and more depth.

Hartineaux was a 4 star or high 3 star from Seattle that originally committed to Wisconsin and then switched to UW. Looked solid.

Ulo is going to be fine. He blocked the punt in our bowl game and will likely be our best linebacker next year if the injuries do not linger.
    I don’t think there is any reason to suggest he will be good. Not saying he is done, don’t twist. He has not shown up on special teams or any where to suggest he is waiting in the wings. The staff hasn’t been moving him up the Depth or anything.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,922 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Ulo made a couple of plays that really jumped out but was a non factor for the most part. I'll believe he's fully back to prime form physically when I see it.
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Ulo made a couple of plays that really jumped out but was a non factor for the most part. I'll believe he's fully back to prime form physically when I see it.
    Don’t disagree but I think that’s the best we have right now.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839

Seems like a lot of offenses, UW's included, have figured out how to pull LBs into coverage on just above every play, which they are bad at and essentially takes them out of the game and makes them disappear. I feel like if you look around the conference at sacks and TFLs for true linbackers, they were way down this year. I think it's also why you're seeing such higher yards per-carry, because offenses use their scheme to pull the LBs back and then run and most college LBs suck at tackling a RB in the open field.

Wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more 210 pound LBs who can cover.

Yeah, it's called an RPO.

• HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,574
    chuck said:

Another Kris Moll type would be perfect. If they can't find the right fit, it wouldn't be the end of the world if DeMario King and Austin Hartineaux were the #5 and #6 LBs if it meant preserving the redshirts of Bryant and Whitney.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,160

It wasn't far off this year as it was
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,204 Swaye's Wigwam

Seems like a lot of offenses, UW's included, have figured out how to pull LBs into coverage on just above every play, which they are bad at and essentially takes them out of the game and makes them disappear. I feel like if you look around the conference at sacks and TFLs for true linbackers, they were way down this year. I think it's also why you're seeing such higher yards per-carry, because offenses use their scheme to pull the LBs back and then run and most college LBs suck at tackling a RB in the open field.

Wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more 210 pound LBs who can cover.

Yeah, it's called an RPO.

That's another way to say it. I feel like it's more intense than that this year though. I feel like I don't even see the LBs in a lot of games like they're not there.

Also, overall with the transfers. I feel like we've seen a couple doubles and some nice singles. I was hoping with what the program showed this year we'd see a home run or a triple - think Jordan Addison to USC, but maybe that's expecting too much.

Maybe also expecting to much but am holding out hopes for one of the recent five stars who left the state to come back.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,160

chuck said:

I think you have Harnetauix confused with someone else. He was barely a three star who didn't receive a scholly offer from any P5 schools. He'll be a second year walk-on next year.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,772 Founders Club

chuck said:

I think you have Harnetauix confused with someone else. He was barely a three star who didn't receive a scholly offer from any P5 schools. He'll be a second year walk-on next year.
    He was a PWO at Wisconsin. The Times listed him as a red chip that was committed to Wisconsin but didn’t stipulate what his actual status was. I actually thought he had a scholarship to Wiscy for a long time until he flipped to UW as a PWO. No way do you turn down a full ride unless you never had one. He’s probably on par with the kid from Bellevue that’s been third string for a few years.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

chuck said:

Everyone is a three star now.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,292 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I don’t think there is any reason to suggest he will be good. Not saying he is done, don’t twist. He has not shown up on special teams or any where to suggest he is waiting in the wings. The staff hasn’t been moving him up the Depth or anything.
    I'm just saying he was a legit prospect out of high school, can run with good size. This year he was behind two transfers and 3 veterans

chuck said:

I'm just saying he was a legit prospect out of high school, can run with good size. This year he was behind two transfers and 3 veterans
    I’m not impressed with his stars.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,854 Founders Club

The good thing about Ulofoshio is that the commentary team at the Alamo Bowl called him a blue chip recruit, upgrading him from from PWO with (well deserved) scholly award to 4-star recruit just like that. Helps UW's mythical blue chip ratio if you ask me.

Glad I wasn’t the only who noticed that. I also learned that this was Luciano’s first year starting at CENTER.
    Those were some of the worst announcers Ive ever listened to
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,279 Swaye's Wigwam
    Drew Fowler aaight. Turned down Utah/UCLA schollies.

Hampton to LB?🤷‍♂️ Seems he’d be better there.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839

He's getting moved to safety.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,922 Swaye's Wigwam

I've been trying to remember his name all day. He had scholarship worthy highlights. I thought he'd be good.