Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2023]

Comments

• Options
    louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 338
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Per Vorel, NCAA might not allow Durfee to play this season since he was at NDSU before transferring to Sioux Falls (and then transferring to UW)

Based on practice reports, I could see him as our #3 DE after Trice and ZTF

I guess we don’t need him this year given the switch of Voi Tunuufi and the emerge of Sekai Asoau-Afoa. If he’s going to be a true difference maker then I think you still want him to play but if he’s just a rotational guy then I think not burning a year is fine too. Especially given we lose ZTF and Trice next year.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Per Vorel, NCAA might not allow Durfee to play this season since he was at NDSU before transferring to Sioux Falls (and then transferring to UW)

Based on practice reports, I could see him as our #3 DE after Trice and ZTF

I was wondering what happened to him. He wasn’t listed in the mock two deeps and the coaches raved about him in the Spring. That’s ridiculous if he can’t play.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,616
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    If Asa plays like he did against Oregon State and Texas he will be all conference rather easily.

If he plays like he did against Oregon, bench him
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

If Asa plays like he did against Oregon State and Texas he will be all conference rather easily.

I hope he has a big year. Just because he is better than whatever else we throw out there does not mean he is a good player. He has not shown anything to be that level. Sometimes upperclassmen step up but I think he is what he is at this point.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I hope he has a big year. Just because he is better than whatever else we throw out there does not mean he is a good player. He has not shown anything to be that level. Sometimes upperclassmen step up but I think he is what he is at this point.
    Rewatch the Oregon State game

He was our best player on defense in a slugfest
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,007
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

One game does not a player make.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,582
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If he doesn't have a great senior year then go ahead and use the B1G money to replace Morrell.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Hang the fucking banner
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,033
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    good to see Texas checking in top 15, media loves them some “Texas is BACK!!!1!1!11!” Every year.
  • Options

You mean the team that couldn't throw a forward pass and happens to be playing in a massive wind storm? His missed tackle on one their shitty wr was what stuck with me that day. He missed an easy tackle for any pac12 starting safety and spring the guy for a big play. Maybe have been their biggest pass play. The wind was our best defender that day.

He is not a physical player. But he is also not so good at everything else that it's like he would start for the majority of teams at the power 5 level. He is just the best we have.
  • Options
    haie said:

If he doesn't have a great senior year then go ahead and use the B1G money to replace Morrell.
    Our personnel was bad last year on the outside of the secondary, but the bad technique, lack of improvement and shitty calls had me more alarmed. Blown coverages late in the season. I would be surprised if he turned it around enough to justify his job security. The secondary was gifted a good pass rush last year and couldn't get off the field for long stretches.
  • Options
    Founders Club

haie said:

Our personnel was bad last year on the outside of the secondary, but the bad technique, lack of improvement and shitty calls had me more alarmed. Blown coverages late in the season. I would be surprised if he turned it around enough to justify his job security. The secondary was gifted a good pass rush last year and couldn't get off the field for long stretches.
    Secondary had a ton of injuries and no depth to begin with

Adding a true #1 CB with Jabar should help a ton

Dom Hampton is a liability until proven otherwise
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,582
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2023

haie said:

The doog in me is hoping that after playing almost nothing but zone for 3-4 years in the case of most players, switching to man and being on an island is a bit of a system shock.

Also hoping for a bit of addition by subtraction not relying on Irvin and Perryman and at times throwing out true freshmen before that were ready.

Even our best corners of the Petersen era, getting help over the top, got burned a bunch when they were forced out there. Greene is a guy who I think they believe in long term. Davon Banks feels like a Jimmy recruit that will eventually hit the portal. Hampton is a TBS bust until he isn't. Really they're relying on Esteem to live up to the hype he's getting from practice.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

Secondary had a ton of injuries and no depth to begin with

Adding a true #1 CB with Jabar should help a ton

Dom Hampton is a liability until proven otherwise
    Hampton has been playing out of position. I'm willing to LIPO with him this year
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,007
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The secondary’s a liability until it isn’t. Even with a slightly better secondary than last year this is still an 11 win team and I’m good with that.

If the secondary turns two 1st teamers, the d-line turns 1, and the LBs turn 1; I think something amazing is happening and we may sneak into the play off. We already know we’ll get at least one with the edges.

Anyways, we can’t have nice things so I’m happy with back to back 11 win seasons heading into the big12.