Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Remembering the Sting-Ray Bike (1963-1982)

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,255
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2022
    Ahh, the memories...I would have given my left arm for an Orange Krate, but instead got a purple Huffy, and it damaged me for life...

One of my friends had an Apple Krate, with white tires and a steering wheel. He was the coolest kid in the neighborhood.

We thought wheelie bars were for pussies (didn't need 'em), and sissy bars were, well, for sissies...Good chit
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The nut cracker

10 speed or fuck off in our hood
  • Options
    On Christmas Day in '72, my best friend and I got identical JC Penny orange 10 speeds, with little odometers attached to the front wheel. It was close to single-digits temperature, and we rode those things all over town, about 15 miles, IIRC...
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    Fishpo31 said:

Ahh, the memories...I would have given my left arm for an Orange Krate, but instead got a purple Huffy, and it damaged me for life...

One of my friends had an Apple Krate, with white tires and a steering wheel. He was the coolest kid in the neighborhood.

We thought wheelie bars were for pussies (didn't need 'em), and sissy bars were, well, for sissies...Good chit

The purple Huffy was my first realization we weren't in the same class as the country club kids.

Moved up to a Schwinn Varsity at the next stage but it was already established where the Throbber was in the caste system.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I got a purple Schwinn varsity and I became a man at 13

Until I was 16 and got the hand me down 1964 Chevy Nova

Haven't rode a bike since
  • Options
    I got my one and only Schwinn as a gift from a college girlfriend, and then promptly broke up with her. Didn't ride it much, but I do remember being pulled over for speeding, and then almost got a DUI...My entire case to the cop revolved around "If I wasn't drunk, I'd be driving my car"...
  • Options

I got a purple Schwinn varsity and I became a man at 13

Until I was 16 and got the hand me down 1964 Chevy Nova

Haven't rode a bike since

Was it a "Killer Nova"?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,959
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

On Christmas Day in '72, my best friend and I got identical JC Penny orange 10 speeds, with little odometers attached to the front wheel. It was close to single-digits temperature, and we rode those things all over town, about 15 miles, IIRC...

Man you Boomers had some shitty ass bikes.
  • Options
    Rode it to school. Uphill, both directions, in the snow…
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

The Harley Davidson of bikes. Boomers best in everything. Built by the men who won WW2

• Options
    booker14booker14 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 145
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We were pour, my first and only bike was something like this Huffy. It was actually kind of embarrassing to be seen on.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,087
    Founders Club
    When I was 13 I received this bike, or something immensely similar. The first couple of days I had it I kept it in my bedroom. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and looking at it in the dark and feeling so fired up. HaHaHa

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

The Harley Davidson of bikes. Boomers best in everything. Built by the men who won WW2

So terrible in literally every way, but have a bad boy image and are therefore cool?
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,100
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    A bike with a gear shift or that could swing was the tits

I got this bike when I was eight. Parents bought it at Schucks when Schucks sold bikes and auto parts
    My friend in the neighborhood got one too and we would try to make that shock work as much as we could

Then a few years later when it wasn’t cool to have a Huffy, my parents sprung for a Minigoose. Not a Mongoose, a Minigoose. It was a pretty cool bike for a 9 year old.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

It'd be nice if you could give me a ride into town.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    booker14 said:

We were pour, my first and only bike was something like this Huffy. It was actually kind of embarrassing to be seen on.

I had that three speed bullshit, too.

Not the high rise sissy bar though. Just half mast. Same as The Throbber is today.

• Options

This is actually a pretty decent book for us children of the 70's.

The 1970's, @RaceBannon.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is actually a pretty decent book for us children of the 70's.

The 1970's, @RaceBannon.

It's a miracle you all didn't die of skull fractures. I haven't been a bike sans helmet since the Reagan administration.