Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Rock groups that hit their commercial peak when their best work was behind them

2»

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Chicago at their artistic peak, 1970:
    https://youtu.be/-daSUCz-IFo

Chicago at approximately their commercial peak, 1982:
    https://youtu.be/1A0MPWseJIE
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Too soon @chuck ?

I've said many times that newbs shouldn't mess with handguns.
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,100
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think these bands would be considered

The Cure
    Before Disintegration they had a not charted, 186, 193, 133, 180, 59, and 35

After Disintegration went to #12, they had a 2, 12, 16, 7, 16

Depeche Mode
    Before Violator they had 192, 177, 51, 90, and 35
    Violator went to #7.
    after Violator they had a 1, 5, 8, 7, 3, 6 and a 5, probably can’t name a song from those albums.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Too soon @chuck ?

Is Terry still alive with a good, old fashioned wheel gun instead of a 9mm? His .38 didn't get him but the 9mm did.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

Too soon @chuck ?

Is Terry still alive with a good, old fashioned wheel gun instead of a 9mm? His .38 didn't get him but the 9mm did.
    I actually didn't know any details. So it was a 9mm eh?

Yeah, probably.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Too soon @chuck ?

I actually didn't know any details. So it was a 9mm eh?

Yeah, probably.
    He was fucking around with the roadies 9mm. The mag was empty but there was one still in the chamber and as a joke he put the thing to his head.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

El_K said:

These are just off the top of my head. Not sure about the numbers and such

Aerosmith. I remember buying Permanent Vacation on a whim. Turned out to be I was onto something. Then Aerosmith became huge again.

Heart. I liked early Heart. Then it got really MTV-ized.

Sammy Hagar.

Cheap Trick. Granted their #1 song was it. They then went back to making not good albums.

Great suggestions. I never liked Aerosmith and still don't, but couldn't agree more that their peak period was pre 80s.

Heart owned the 80s big hair, power ballad genre. They weren't as prolific as Chicago (another candidate for this) or Foreigner, but better than both.

I hated them for it back then. Nowadays I even appreciate how good they were at that.

In reality the best thing either Wilson sister did after the 70s was when Anne joined Alice In Chains on the Sap EP.
    Foreigner sucks
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,819
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    El_K said:

Cheap Trick. Granted their #1 song was it. They then went back to making not good albums.

El_K said:

Aerosmith. I remember buying Permanent Vacation on a whim. Turned out to be I was onto something. Then Aerosmith became huge again.

Sammy Hagar.

I think The Flame is Cheap Tricks only number one hit and they had to get an outside songwriter for it.

My first introduction to Cheap Trick was via MTV and their lame cover of “Don’t Be Cruel.” It wasn’t until years later that I heard “Surrender” and realized they were once something before being lame.

Never heard of “The Flame.” I’ve always assumed “Surrender” was the hit that carried that band.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2022

El_K said:

El_K said:

Sammy Hagar.

I think The Flame is Cheap Tricks only number one hit and they had to get an outside songwriter for it.

My first introduction to Cheap Trick was via MTV and their lame cover of “Don’t Be Cruel.” It wasn’t until years later that I heard “Surrender” and realized they were once something before being lame.

Never heard of “The Flame.” I’ve always assumed “Surrender” was the hit that carried that band.
    I want you to want me and Dream Police were big hits.

Surrender got little if any airplay though easily their best tune.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

El_K said:

Sammy Hagar.

Great suggestions. I never liked Aerosmith and still don't, but couldn't agree more that their peak period was pre 80s.

Heart owned the 80s big hair, power ballad genre. They weren't as prolific as Chicago (another candidate for this) or Foreigner, but better than both.

I hated them for it back then. Nowadays I even appreciate how good they were at that.

In reality the best thing either Wilson sister did after the 70s was when Anne joined Alice In Chains on the Sap EP.
    Foreigner sucks
    That goes without saying. But they were big players in the 80s power ballad genre.
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,819
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

El_K said:

El_K said:

Sammy Hagar.

I want you to want me.

Surrender got little if any airplay.

I’m too young to know that. I was a kid when they made their lame attempt to grab my generation’s attention via MTV music videos with “Don’t Be Cruel.” It just made them look old and lame. It would have served them better to re-lease “Surrender” with the band wearing flannel shirts and donning ZZ Top beards. It worked with Aerosmith. I thought “Sweet Emotion” was a hot new track when I first saw that video, on MTV, in the 90’s.

Classic Rock radio is where I was introduced to less lame, non-cover band Cheap Trick. “Surrender” and “I Want You to Want Me” seem to be the only songs in the regular rotation. I also know of “Dream Police” via pop culture osmosis. Probably from some TV commercial or from “The Simpsons.”

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,255
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Power ballads killed my love for a lot of good bands...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022

El_K said:

El_K said:

Sammy Hagar.

I want you to want me.

Surrender got little if any airplay.

I’m too young to know that. I was a kid when they made their lame attempt to grab my generation’s attention via MTV music videos with “Don’t Be Cruel.” It just made them look old and lame. It would have served them better to re-lease “Surrender” with the band wearing flannel shirts and donning ZZ Top beards. It worked with Aerosmith. I thought “Sweet Emotion” was a hot new track when I first saw that video, on MTV, in the 90’s.

Classic Rock radio is where I was introduced to less lame, non-cover band Cheap Trick. “Surrender” and “I Want You to Want Me” seem to be the only songs in the regular rotation. I also know of “Dream Police” via pop culture osmosis. Probably from some TV commercial or from “The Simpsons.”

My intro to Cheap Trick was buying Live at Budokon at Tower Records on the Ave in the late 90s. I was looking for Beastie Boys samples.

This next song is the first song on our new album.