Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sincere question for those here who deal in hypotheticals

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,420 Founders Club
Looking back at the 2016 Washington Huskies, would you view that season more favorably if they lost to Alabama in the semifinal Peach Bowl (the reality), or if they had beaten Oklahoma or Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl to finish 13-1?

(Obviously the Sugar Bowl matchup is made up for the sake of discussion)

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,932 Founders Club

Losing that game to Alabama sucked.

Would have been a much better finish to the season with a bowl win against a respectable opponent.

HTH

The Badger is correct.
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729

Would have been a much better finish to the season with a bowl win against a respectable opponent.

HTH

The Badger is correct.
    Disagree
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,932 Founders Club

HTH

The Badger is correct.
    Disagree

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    If you win the conference and are not in the playoffs its like you’ve gone straight to the losers bracket.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,811 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    Hindsight being what it is, I might take a Sugar Bowl win. But that would have meant a lot of consternation about why UW as PAC-12 champ with only one loss didn’t get into the playoffs.

So no, we! wanted Bama and we? got them.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,112
    edited December 2022
    Iirc, we were a cunt hair away from being the 3-seed and would have played a tOSU team who got massively butt fucked by Clemson.

During the season, Clemson won a game against NC State or someone like that where their opponents missed a 15 yard field goal as time expired. Had they made it, UW would have likely played in the championship game as I think we would have beaten that buckeye team.

But, you know, if my uncle had labia majora, he'd be my aunt
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,785
    What is the difference between a sincere and honest question?

SC rose their Rose Bowl win in 2016 to higher levels than our CFP loss (and then quickly fell on their face with the wrong coach). However, SC still doesn’t have a CFP appearance and we do.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    2016 was fine as it was good for the program to be shown on ESPN's dumb ass "new cfb" stage.

Fiesta bowl was the momentum killer, the coaches let the players down. I think our shitty wr coach called plays.

Rose Bowl you knew Pete wasn't capable of beating Urban in a sendoff game.
  • NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    If Penn St had jumped UW for 4th and UW got left out, I'd have been happy to settle for a Rose Bowl vs #6 Michigan. I think Pete wins that game and the result is marginally better in the longer run for UW.
    Otherwise I don't think there's a bowl/non-playoff opponent whom I'd have preferred over the semifinal they earned.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter
    edited December 2022
    Oh, definitely the win in a Sugar Bowl…then we? wouldn’t have that embarrassing “2016: Playoff Semi-Final Appearance” sign at Husky Stadium. To me that’s more pathetic/beta than the Sustainability Award (at least we? won that).
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    UW needed to beat USC and play Ohio State or Clemson on the West Coast in the Rose Bowl

That team should've played in a natty

Instead, they choked at home and drew Bama in Georgia

It is what it is, they got their shot and had one of the best defenses in CFB in the 21st century

For some reason some on here arent okay with a final 4
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,938 Swaye's Wigwam

Oh, definitely the win in a Sugar Bowl…then we? wouldn’t have that embarrassing “2016: Playoff Semi-Final Appearance” sign at Husky Stadium. To me that’s more pathetic/beta than the Sustainability Award (at least we? won that).

Participation signs like that are kind of embarrassing. I'd take any NY day bowl win over that.

At the time though? Definitely prefer to play for the championship however unlikely it seems.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,361 Swaye's Wigwam
    Playoff. It was a winnable game. If they got embarrassed I might think differently but they were a legitimate contender to win the whole thing.

Iirc, we were a cunt hair away from being the 3-seed and would have played a tOSU team who got massively butt fucked by Clemson.

During the season, Clemson won a game against NC State or someone like that where their opponents missed a 15 yard field goal as time expired. Had they made it, UW would have likely played in the championship game as I think we would have beaten that buckeye team.

But, you know, if my uncle had labia majora, he'd be my aunt

It was 1 Bama 2 Clemson 3 an OSU 4 UW

They would have played Clemson if they were the 3 seed
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,974
    If we had played in and won the Sugar Bowl I would probably be pissed that we didn't get selected for the playoffs, which would make the win less satisfying.

I like making the playoffs, either way.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam

If we had played in and won the Sugar Bowl I would probably be pissed that we didn't get selected for the playoffs, which would make the win less satisfying.

I like making the playoffs, either way.

We competed for a Natty in hostile territory and came up short. No shame in that