Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Official 2022- 23 Puppy Love Thread

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,942
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
A thread to shit post about newish canine members of your family...or share old Dwag stories.

After being out of the dog bidness for about 3 years, we picked up a 13 week old mini bernedoodle last Sat. She'll be about 25 lbs give or take fully grown. Her name is "Josie". The pup is heavy on the poodle face, but the body is all Bernese Mt Dawg.

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,066
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

That was one way to get Corky to put a cork in it
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,621
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    A Bernese doodle is a freaking killer idea Yella. I love several of the breeds I call swiss Mtn dogs. I think my mutt with the tri color hair has some of those genetics.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,942
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

A Bernese doodle is a freaking killer idea Yella. I love several of the breeds I call swiss Mtn dogs. I think my mutt with the tri color hair has some of those genetics.

I thinks with the Swiss Mt Dogs, you get a little bit more chill of a Doodle than a Ausi, Lab, or Golden Doodle. But I think think Bernese can be a bit stubborn some times as well. At any rate, all you can do is train the best you can and hope for the best.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022

chuck said:

Couldn't find a good recent pic that didn't require redacting my GF from it.

All black is a first gen labradoodle, so a poodle parent and a black lab parent. He's extremely long and tall and about 90lbs. Smart like a poodle, endlessly loud, playful and goofy like a lab poodle cross. Can swim for miles.

The shorter guy is a mystery that some poor red haired girl (my GF is a ginger and can't refuse a ginger kid) with a tweaker mom pawned off on my GF. He turned out cool as hell with a burly frame, huge head, and amazing color highlights. He's kind of like a long haired Rottweiler. He's ~85 lbs and is the muscle of the pair.

Why are there no fish in the is pic @chuck ?
    That pool to the right (downstream) in the photo almost always holds a couple of steelhead. I don't think they like the dogs though.

chuck said:

I thinks with the Swiss Mt Dogs, you get a little bit more chill of a Doodle than a Ausi, Lab, or Golden Doodle. But I think think Bernese can be a bit stubborn some times as well. At any rate, all you can do is train the best you can and hope for the best.
    Labradoodles have been referred to as frankendogs and ours is a perfect example. He's wired super tight. He's harmless and sweet, but for him exploring, playing, running, chasing shit, barking at clouds, etc isn't a past time. It's a life or death business matter. He's nuts and won't ever stop given a choice.

We saved his ass from owners who left him alone for days at a time for his first year and that compounded his issues. He's about to turn 6 and is mostly over the anxiety, chewing, counter surfing, etc. He's cool and entertaining as fuck, but a serious handful. I'd recommend most people stay away from the breed. I'd stay away myself if I could go back in time.

Bernese are a naturally mellow but hard working breed I think. I'm sure your puppy will have the usual challenges but I bet it's an amazing dog, and beautiful.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,900
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

I showed her some pics I considered posting. She said her arms looked fat and not to do it.

Then she was like "wait... On an internet forum called Hardcore Husky? Fuck no!"

New bored motto?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

All black is a first gen labradoodle, so a poodle parent and a black lab parent. He's extremely long and tall and about 90lbs. Smart like a poodle, endlessly loud, playful and goofy like a lab poodle cross. Can swim for miles.

The shorter guy is a mystery that some poor red haired girl (my GF is a ginger and can't refuse a ginger kid) with a tweaker mom pawned off on my GF. He turned out cool as hell with a burly frame, huge head, and amazing color highlights. He's kind of like a long haired Rottweiler. He's ~85 lbs and is the muscle of the pair.

That pool to the right (downstream) in the photo almost always holds a couple of steelhead. I don't think they like the dogs though.

chuck said:

Labradoodles have been referred to as frankendogs and ours is a perfect example. He's wired super tight. He's harmless and sweet, but for him exploring, playing, running, chasing shit, barking at clouds, etc isn't a past time. It's a life or death business matter. He's nuts and won't ever stop given a choice.

We saved his ass from owners who left him alone for days at a time for his first year and that compounded his issues. He's about to turn 6 and is mostly over the anxiety, chewing, counter surfing, etc. He's cool and entertaining as fuck, but a serious handful. I'd recommend most people stay away from the breed. I'd stay away myself if I could go back in time.

Bernese are a naturally mellow but hard working breed I think. I'm sure your puppy will have the usual challenges but I bet it's an amazing dog, and beautiful.
    We had a goldendoodle, and while wired and hyper as a pup, we trained her up and she was about as good a dog as we could have hoped for...so good that, after her passing, the wife doesn't want to get another for fear of not measuring up. Friends of ours that don't like dogs loved her. She was a gem around kids, other dogs, never met a stranger, and was incredibly smart (spoken like a true dad)...She acted and looked like a golden retriever, and I damn near blew out my arm throwing balls to her over the years.

We heard stories after the fact that they can really be a handful, and I can see that. One of our friends got one after us, and decided to skip the training, and the poor dog is the antithesis of what our pup was.

Don't know if we will get another, but it sure is boring around here without her...FUCK CANCER
    Yeah like Yella said the right environment is almost everything, most of the time. Huskies still act like huskies, kans act like kabs, poodles are evil geniuses, etc no matter what, but raising them well makes those traits funny or useful rather than problematic.

I've also learned that we don't really have an official labradoodle because he had one of each breed for parents. That first gen tends to be really variable in terms of size and shape, hair, bone structure etc. Ours is particularly weird that way. He's like a hyper lab with the brain of a poodle and the body of a cheetah. Freak show really but still a cool dog.

Personally I can't survive without a dog, preferably a big one that pushes me. They get me off my ass and out doing healthy, fun stuff like in the picture.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Seems with any dog, the temperament is a combo of genetics and environment. I've got my ticket into heaven for rescuing a 5 year old, necrotic shit head mini poodle and sticking it out for 9 years when many would have taking him back. That said, we didn't want to do the rescue thing again, and wanted a pup that would be well trained from the get go.

The Duke brothers: “Go on…”
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

We had a goldendoodle, and while wired and hyper as a pup, we trained her up and she was about as good a dog as we could have hoped for...so good that, after her passing, the wife doesn't want to get another for fear of not measuring up. Friends of ours that don't like dogs loved her. She was a gem around kids, other dogs, never met a stranger, and was incredibly smart (spoken like a true dad)...She acted and looked like a golden retriever, and I damn near blew out my arm throwing balls to her over the years.

We heard stories after the fact that they can really be a handful, and I can see that. One of our friends got one after us, and decided to skip the training, and the poor dog is the antithesis of what our pup was.

Don't know if we will get another, but it sure is boring around here without her...FUCK CANCER
    Yeah like Yella said the right environment is almost everything, most of the time. Huskies still act like huskies, kans act like kabs, poodles are evil geniuses, etc no matter what, but raising them well makes those traits funny or useful rather than problematic.

I've also learned that we don't really have an official labradoodle because he had one of each breed for parents. That first gen tends to be really variable in terms of size and shape, hair, bone structure etc. Ours is particularly weird that way. He's like a hyper lab with the brain of a poodle and the body of a cheetah. Freak show really but still a cool dog.

Personally I can't survive without a dog, preferably a big one that pushes me. They get me off my ass and out doing healthy, fun stuff like in the picture.
    It’s funny, I’ve been seriously looking at getting a dog in the past several weeks, so this thread is timely. I’m about to go full remote at the brothel and get a bigger place, so I figured now would be the optimal time. But I’m still on the fence though as I might be able to provide an awesome environment for it now, what if my life circumstances change?

Well, congratulations @YellowSnow on the new dog. What a cutie!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

It’s funny, I’ve been seriously looking at getting a dog in the past several weeks, so this thread is timely. I’m about to go full remote at the brothel and get a bigger place, so I figured now would be the optimal time. But I’m still on the fence though as I might be able to provide an awesome environment for it now, what if my life circumstances change?

Well, congratulations @YellowSnow on the new dog. What a cutie!
    Yeah the safe thing is to stick with something that can handle a variety of situations.The doodle has created several pains in the ass for us, especially lately. It's not always easy to account for him when planning anything.