Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

USC's loss the costliest since...

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,548 Founders Club
I'm sure there are others, but the '82 Huskies only had to beat the Cougs to be 10-1 and Rose Bowl-bound with a #5 national ranking.

Instead, they ended up playing Maryland in the Aloha Bowl.

USC had to beat Utah and they're in the national playoff.

Instead, they lose the playoff, the Rose Bowl bid, and will end up someplace second rate.

Ouch.

But it also speaks to how weak the Pac-12 is overall.

Comments

• DucksFCDucksFC Member Posts: 1,283
    Also we? knocked Ute out of the playoff in 2019
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,548 Founders Club
    DucksFC said:

Also we? knocked Ute out of the playoff in 2019

and they lost the Rose Bowl bid too... good point.
  • MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,620

I'm sure there are others, but the '82 Huskies only had to beat the Cougs to be 10-1 and Rose Bowl-bound with a #5 national ranking.

Instead, they lose the playoff, the Rose Bowl bid, and will end up someplace second rate.

Ouch.

Not sure how Pac12 teams beating other Pac12 proves the league is weak.

Not saying it isn’t but I don’t think you’re using the appropriate data points.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,586 Swaye's Wigwam

Ouch.

Probably just that the conference did everything they could to get a team into the playoffs but the top of the conference wasn't deserving of the national stage.

SC has had underwhelming games all season with the exception of UCLA. Not on the same level as 2016 UW.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,548 Founders Club
    haie said:

Pac 12 weak with almost half the teams ranked in the top 17?

WSU, Cal, Stanford, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State all would have struggled even if they played in the Mountain West.
    edited December 2022

haie said:

WSU, Cal, Stanford, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State all would have struggled even if they played in the Mountain West.
    So it was weak when it had a bunch of parity, and now it's weak when the top half is 2-3 loss teams and the bottom half is 2-3 win teams?

Ugh, WSU and Arizona would be toward the top of the mountain west. Cal would be over .500

Stanford and Colorado are both fcs
    haie said:

haie said:

So it was weak when it had a bunch of parity, and now it's weak when the top half is 2-3 loss teams and the bottom half is 2-3 win teams?

Ugh, WSU and Arizona would be toward the top of the mountain west. Cal would be over .500

Stanford and Colorado are both fcs
    We will agree to disagree,

How would you feel with USC, UCLA, UW, OSU or Utah going against the very best, like Michigan, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Alabama, etc.? We are not a strong league. I don't see any argument for it.

(Personally I think UW and Utah would have a 50/50 shot against LSU)
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 6,297
    haie said:

Ouch.

Probably just that the conference did everything they could to get a team into the playoffs but the top of the conference wasn't deserving of the national stage.

SC has had underwhelming games all season with the exception of UCLA. Not on the same level as 2016 UW.
    You mean Oregon 2014 UW was a joke in 16in the cfp

haie said:

And yet you lost to ASu

Goduckies said:

haie said:

And yet you lost to ASu
    living off of what other teams did? You guys couldn't beat us. Try harder. Better yet, be a true Duck fan and don't try at all. You still have the Yankees, Cowboys, and Lakers cheer for
    Yup for once this year we didn't beat you, so yes i had fun having the Rose Bowl torn away from your hearts...oh so close...
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,600

Goduckies said:

haie said:

And yet you lost to ASu
    living off of what other teams did? You guys couldn't beat us. Try harder. Better yet, be a true Duck fan and don't try at all. You still have the Yankees, Cowboys, and Lakers cheer for
    Living off what other teams do? On hardcore husky?

• TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,824 Swaye's Wigwam

Ouch.

I was there.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,861
    They'll play Tulane lol
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,311
    haie said:

Without Riley and Williams hype machine, that cluster of ranked teams would be 8+ spots lower collectively
    Goduckies said:

haie said:

Ouch.

You mean Oregon 2014 UW was a joke in 16in the cfp
    Always been the most cringe Oregon talking point. Further proof that that UW team was the last very good/great Pac team.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,845

haie said:

Arizona would throw for 600 yards a game in the mountain west? WSU would win at least 10 games in that conference, nobody would move the ball on their defense. You're losing your fastball derek