Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Strange but true but also kinda not that interesting stat

whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,721 Swaye's Wigwam
UW has been in the top 4 defenses in the Pac-12 for points allowed for the past 11 seasons (since Wilcox was hired)

2012-2014, we ranked 4th each year
2015-2018, we ranked 1st each year
2019 was 3rd
2020 was 2nd
2021 and 2022 we ranked 4th

This is the first time we've gone to a good bowl with a defense that didn't rank 1st in the conference.

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,957 Swaye's Wigwam

Good indicator that college football as a whole plays horrible defense. We all know what we saw this year, and it was an objectively bad standalone product. I guess it's mildly comforting that 95% of the other programs are shit too.

UWs defense created a lot of disruption and negative plays. I say so without looking at any numbers, but it's obvious that was the only strength. Good thing that was the one, though, since it diminished a lot of other issues.

But that's really all defenses have now against good teams with all the offensive wizardry. If you're not making the offense go backward, all you can do is make good downfield tackles and limit them to one first down at a time. Do that all game and get good play up front and you can scratch out a couple of stops and outscore them.

Unless you're Georgia.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,055 Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

Good indicator that college football as a whole plays horrible defense. We all know what we saw this year, and it was an objectively bad standalone product. I guess it's mildly comforting that 95% of the other programs are shit too.

UWs defense created a lot of disruption and negative plays. I say so without looking at any numbers, but it's obvious that was the only strength. Good thing that was the one, though, since it diminished a lot of other issues.

But that's really all defenses have now against good teams with all the offensive wizardry. If you're not making the offense go backward, all you can do is make good downfield tackles and limit them to one first down at a time. Do that all game and get good play up front and you can scratch out a couple of stops and outscore them.

Unless you're Georgia.
    Our inability to get off the field when we make the qb off schedule is mind numbing. See Arizona, michigan state, Arizona etc. we had a well documented coverage problem.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,957 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Unless you're Georgia.
    Our inability to get off the field when we make the qb off schedule is mind numbing. See Arizona, michigan state, Arizona etc. we had a well documented coverage problem.
    And tackling. A lot of after contact yardage by QBs and everyone else who got the ball.

The eye test is positive that UWs was worse than most. It got a little better, maybe, for the last few games. Maybe not
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,895 Founders Club
    The NFL and college football play to what the people want. Every rule and rule change is for the offense because "we" like points and lots of them. Even the SEC is throwing it all over the lot now. Teams put up 50 on a Bama roster filled with NFL draft picks

What UW did this year is what winning teams do. Get a stop when it matters and pile up tons of points on offense

James could play for a 10-7 win or loss and be a genius. Do that today and you're looking for work. That's what killed people about Jimmy. Run the ball and play defense. That has a nostalgic appeal to leather helmet guys like me but it doesn't pay the rent.

You are what your record says you are. Stats are for losers but they show that the horrible UW defense was a top Pac 12 horrible defense

It all started after the 74-75 Steelers put the world to sleep with the Steel Curtain. First to go was contact past 5 yards and the floodgates were open

If your squad is one that can do it well it is pretty entertaining I must admit. Would rather see the DeBoer squad light it up than Pete lose by three in the 4th quarter playing it safe on offense and defense

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

UW has been in the top 4 defenses in the Pac-12 for points allowed for the past 11 seasons (since Wilcox was hired)

2012-2014, we ranked 4th each year
    2015-2018, we ranked 1st each year
    2019 was 3rd
    2020 was 2nd
    2021 and 2022 we ranked 4th

This is the first time we've gone to a good bowl with a defense that didn't rank 1st in the conference.

What bowl game did we go to?