Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

One Glorious Improvement I Haven't Seen Celebrated Yet...

WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,503
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
Remember under Petersen where it seemed like there was a procedural penalty every fucking drive in his stupid complex offense with all the motion and bullshit and this year it seems like there hasn't been one other than some crowd noise related false starts? Best part was Pete's BS always created a play with a 3-6-yard gain window other than 2016 and DeBoer's is like an automatic first down usually even on 3rd and 10. Maybe it's Penix or Browning?

Comments

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,503
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

I think the shifting is just more effective and purposeful.

It was said earlier in the year, Deboer is running the offense Pete thought he was running.

Also Penix is a better presnap Jesus than browning.

The negative to this presnap diagnosis is we get a shit ton of delay of games/unnecessary timeouts.

I think it's an area Grubb can improve, but if the tradeoff is the best 3rd conversion percentage, I'm ok if it takes a little longer to get it in.

The good thing is I think most of the delay of game/timeouts are only going to be an issue really in actually loud road environments and sadly that's not a huge issue in the Pac-12 - was just Oregon and WSU really this year. Next yeah might only be Michigan State and USC.

I was actually super encouraged with how well they were able to audible at Oregon and WSU with the noise too. I'm especially fine with burning time outs in the first half if it means they get the right play in.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,803
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Browning was a natural athlete who tried to get by on sheer athleticism. Didn't study or watch film

Penix is a gym rat who lives in the film room. A real lunch pail guy. What he lacks in athleticism he makes up for with his brain

I have always said they should have moved browning to WR.
    Not many know this, but he was next man up after Ross and Pettis for returns
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,250
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Browning was a natural athlete who tried to get by on sheer athleticism. Didn't study or watch film

Penix is a gym rat who lives in the film room. A real lunch pail guy. What he lacks in athleticism he makes up for with his brain

Browning didn’t wear the wrist band? I’m hearing that is a factor…
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,492
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Doogles said:

It was said earlier in the year, Deboer is running the offense Pete thought he was running.

The negative to this presnap diagnosis is we get a shit ton of delay of games/unnecessary timeouts.

I think it's an area Grubb can improve, but if the tradeoff is the best 3rd conversion percentage, I'm ok if it takes a little longer to get it in.

Well, shit @Doogles

I didn't realize we were leading the cuntry in 3rd Down Conversion. Damn!
    http://www.cfbstats.com/2022/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category25/sort01.html
    I was an odd sensation this year with being able to assume we? would convert every 3rd down. Outside of PPG, I would assume that 3rd down conversion is the next most important metric for an offense. Maybe it's yards per play, I don't know. Paging @Logistics.
  • Options
    LogisticsLogistics Member Posts: 110
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Doogles said:

Well, shit @Doogles

http://www.cfbstats.com/2022/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category25/sort01.html
    I was an odd sensation this year with being able to assume we? would convert every 3rd down. Outside of PPG, I would assume that 3rd down conversion is the next most important metric for an offense. Maybe it's yards per play, I don't know. Paging @Logistics.
    Can't help on this matter. Maybe @plays3downs or @PlaybookStatisticsDawg could chime in.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Logistics said:

Doogles said:

Well, shit @Doogles

Can't help on this matter. Maybe @plays3downs or @PlaybookStatisticsDawg could chime in.
    @StatsAreForLosersDawg ?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

Well, shit @Doogles

It's extra insane and impressive given they didn't really use Penix as a mobile QB at all. I feel like most college games I'm watching third and longs are mostly only converted with a QB affecting the play with their feet. Or maybe that's just every team playing the Huskies?

Pete's 3rd and long offense = Let's do a play action even though they know we're not running on 3rd and 10, and then let's give only two really crowded route options the defense can cover both with one guy, almost guaranteeing a sack or throw away. Oh, and let's not really throw to our NFL tight ends.

Current 3rd and long offense = Spread it out. Simple drop back with several simple spread out routes.

I'd kill to see what they could have done with a Dissly or Otton this year.
    Petersen's passing game was definitely retarded. That was one red flag about him when he was hired. I saw how inept it was the last time BSU was at UW. The downfield routes were mostly conservative, extremely low percentage plays where the ball got lobbed out of bounds to avoid double coverage. BSU handed Sark that game by trying to lean on that when their RB started off the game making the UW defense look like a Sark defense.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Big Penix is the type of guy you want to marry your daughter.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

Doogles said:

Well, shit @Doogles

It's extra insane and impressive given they didn't really use Penix as a mobile QB at all. I feel like most college games I'm watching third and longs are mostly only converted with a QB affecting the play with their feet. Or maybe that's just every team playing the Huskies?

Pete's 3rd and long offense = Let's do a play action even though they know we're not running on 3rd and 10, and then let's give only two really crowded route options the defense can cover both with one guy, almost guaranteeing a sack or throw away. Oh, and let's not really throw to our NFL tight ends.

Current 3rd and long offense = Spread it out. Simple drop back with several simple spread out routes.

I'd kill to see what they could have done with a Dissly or Otton this year.
    Petersen's passing game was definitely retarded. That was one red flag about him when he was hired. I saw how inept it was the last time BSU was at UW. The downfield routes were mostly conservative, extremely low percentage plays where the ball got lobbed out of bounds to avoid double coverage. BSU handed Sark that game by trying to lean on that when their RB started off the game making the UW defense look like a Sark defense.
    After getting tooled by Kap (ILTCHT), BSU dropped Pete’s Poison (TLTCIT) in 2013 for their version of no huddle Pistol. But it sucked without a 6-5 uber athlete at QB.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    Doogles said:

@RaceBannon work your photoshop magic!

• Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2022

Doogles said:

@RaceBannon work your photoshop magic!

Everyone loved Sidney! Must have been his French sounding last name.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He only got downtrodden roles