Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Wisconsin hires Fickell

Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,089
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
Great hire. Surprisingly. Didn't expect them to really try to be great.

https://uwbadgers.com/news/2022/11/27/football-fickell-ushers-in-new-era-of-badger-football.aspx

Fickell ushers in a new era of Badger football after elevating the University of Cincinnati football program to unprecedented success during his six seasons as head coach. Hired by the Bearcats on Dec. 10, 2016, he led Cincinnati to back-to-back 11-win campaigns in 2018 and 2019 and an undefeated regular season that culminated with a Peach Bowl berth in 2020. Then in 2021, Fickell guided the Bearcats to the greatest season in school history, leading them to an appearance in the College Football Playoff Semifinals at the Cotton Bowl and the first-ever 13-0 regular-season record in Bearcat history.

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Agreed. Wisconsin will give him time to build.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I haven't seen the terms of this deal, but I'm assuming it's within the range that UW was supposedly ready to pay last year when Campbell was the only guy who would hit that range who they seemed to be in on. My memory is that Fickell didn't give UW the time of day...already happy there or UW was too small time at the moment...I don't remember why he wasn't a real candidate. I just remember that he should have been.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,857
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I just saw his and Freezes salary. One of them is getting $7.9 million and the other was higher than that.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,225
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nebraska gave Matt Ruhle 9 million a year

He's a does more with less guy who just got fired from the NFL

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,089
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    chuck said:

I haven't seen the terms of this deal, but I'm assuming it's within the range that UW was supposedly ready to pay last year when Campbell was the only guy who would hit that range who they seemed to be in on. My memory is that Fickell didn't give UW the time of day...already happy there or UW was too small time at the moment...I don't remember why he wasn't a real candidate. I just remember that he should have been.

Fickell's salary will start at $7.5 million and he will be paid an average of $7.8 million per year on a seven-year deal.

No clue if we offered him or anyone else comparable. We will have to give DeBoer similar+ next year if he has comparable success next year. We paid him the right amount to hire him and the raise was on par, but another big year we have to double his current pay.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mad_Son said:

chuck said:

Fickell's salary will start at $7.5 million and he will be paid an average of $7.8 million per year on a seven-year deal.

No clue if we offered him or anyone else comparable. We will have to give DeBoer similar+ next year if he has comparable success next year. We paid him the right amount to hire him and the raise was on par, but another big year we have to double his current pay.
    And I'm on board with all of that.

Fickell was out of range last year, apparently, yet we see him signing a year later for what UW was supposedly ready to pay Campbell. Fickell was a better candidate and surely would've been listening had they been offering, if that same amount was enough to move him this year.

My point, finally, is that UW staggered into Deboer because these guys were out of range. The stories about putting together 7.5 million per for Campbell were bullshit.

Beatingdeadhorse.gif
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    And let's not forget, Brian Kelly.