Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Football World Reacts To Deion Sanders, Colorado News

13»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    89ute said:

I did the maff. Recruits don't know who the fuck this guy is. Might as well hire Bart Starr.

Absolutely incorrect. You're Rose Bowl drunk Ute.
  • Options

Divas tend not to do well heading up "major" college football programs. Lane Kiffin is probably the closest one I can think of, but even he grew up under the tutelage of an actual football coach father - his diva persona is more of a brand than anything else.

Prime is 100%, authentically diva. All Deion, all the time. Shit, he practically invented the term in its football context. Take your screenshots fuckos, this is going to be an epic, flaming disaster.

You don't think Nick Saban is a Diva? Or the Ol' Ball Coach? Or Mack Brown? Or Mike Ditka? Or Bill Parcells? Or Jimmy Johnson? Or maybe the most diva of them all, Bill "the Mercenary Program" Walsh? Divas, every one of them.

It's just sub-culture dude. Deion comes from the other side of a different set of tracks, and his "prime time" and now over-the-top southern Baptist minister speeches rub a lot of people the wrong way. But having a massive ego is hardly a unique aspect of his personality in the coaching ranks.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Divas tend not to do well heading up "major" college football programs. Lane Kiffin is probably the closest one I can think of, but even he grew up under the tutelage of an actual football coach father - his diva persona is more of a brand than anything else.

Prime is 100%, authentically diva. All Deion, all the time. Shit, he practically invented the term in its football context. Take your screenshots fuckos, this is going to be an epic, flaming disaster.

You don't think Nick Saban is a Diva? Or the Ol' Ball Coach? Or Mack Brown? Or Mike Ditka? Or Bill Parcells? Or Jimmy Johnson? Or maybe the most diva of them all, Bill "the Mercenary Program" Walsh? Divas, every one of them.

It's just sub-culture dude. Deion comes from the other side of a different set of tracks, and his "prime time" and now over-the-top southern Baptist minister speeches rub a lot of people the wrong way. But having a massive ego is hardly a unique aspect of his personality in the coaching ranks.
    I honestly don't disagree. But I want Prim Tim to fail, miserably.
  • Options
    Kaepsknee said:

Doogles said:

Deion will flame out in spectacular fashion at Colorado. Pretty confident in that. Another sizzle guy that will win a ton in the off-season and create a soft culture by coddling guys that otherwise wouldn’t give Colorado a sniff.

Still the absolute best possible move for Colorado right now.

The talent upgrade they'll get in the 3 years he's there will give the next guy a chance.

He's also not face planting at Jackson state, he's dominating. I don't think he's a bad coach and will bring 5-stars to Colorado before he portals to FSU.

Edit: It is worth noting with the portal talent can leave with the coach (already happened to Colorado with Mel Tucker and SC did it to Oklahoma)
    Eddie Robinson won like 10 HBC natties at Grambling. But when they stepped up to what is now the current FCS, he didn’t win a single playoff game. And He is considered to be one of the best coaches ever. Winning 408 games. Just one short of the all time record.
    Robinson could never recruit like Sanders can. Don't forget, Nick Saban is not any kind of savant. Nobody was afraid of Nick until he got to LSU and made the magic potion of Ohio "cradle of coaches" hard ass combine with southeastern US talent. Michigan State? Look up his record there for me please.

I have no idea how he'll do, but pretending it to be some predictable math formula is fubar. Coaches work out in the most unlikely of contexts. Give him a little time and let's see.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Eddie Robinson won when the best players down south couldn't play for the SEC and the Big 10 had quotas

Hardly a shock that late in his career Grambling would recede.

Our own DeBoer is a small school legend who did pretty good year one here
  • Options

Eddie Robinson won when the best players down south couldn't play for the SEC and the Big 10 had quotas

Hardly a shock that late in his career Grambling would recede.

Our own DeBoer is a small school legend who did pretty good year one here

But DeBoer is fat and stoic and doesn't act the fool. So, I guess he had a chance. And of course numerous successful coaches come from the ranks of lower non-P5 football. But still.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,254
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I agree. It takes a gigantic ego to be a head coach, no question. There is diva behavior throughout, but Saban, et al keep the diva in-house, for the most part. I want to see Prime's post-game presser the first time he gets his ass handed to him. The spotlight is on him, the cameras and mics are lined up, and the questions will be pointed. Is he a "look at the tape, we will fix it, it's on me" guy, or will he throw his kids and coaches under the bus? AKA, "If we win it's because of Prime, and if we don't it's the players"...Ego is a helluva drug
  • Options
    Fishpo31 said:

I agree. It takes a gigantic ego to be a head coach, no question. There is diva behavior throughout, but Saban, et al keep the diva in-house, for the most part. I want to see Prime's post-game presser the first time he gets his ass handed to him. The spotlight is on him, the cameras and mics are lined up, and the questions will be pointed. Is he a "look at the tape, we will fix it, it's on me" guy, or will he throw his kids and coaches under the bus? AKA, "If we win it's because of Prime, and if we don't it's the players"...Ego is a helluva drug
    Legitimate questions, all. But Saban is probably the worst example. He absolutely does not keep diva in-house. That fucking guy’s ego is so delicate he reminds me of a teenage girl on her period. He gets freaked out mad at the most innocuous of questions and loves, check that, is addicted, to the attention. Just like Sanders, he knows which of his schticks people like to see and he plays to his audience bigly. Bama Saban and all that faux “I’m not satisfied with 70-3 and if we keep doing that Troy State is going to beat our ass next week,” and Miss Terry this and that bullshit, may be the most diva coach of all-Tim. That guy is a huge performer and, yes, he throws everybody under the bus. Massive poser. And think about Parcells. Lolz. That guy was totally exterior expressive. Nothing in/house there.

This is totally a culture thing. We don’t see the diva or the bullshit when it comes from someone we associate as a more traditional coaching figure. Peterman, too, was a performer when you think about it. Many of these guys play to the press. Deion just does it differently.

The one big difference, and you allude to this, is that Deion never needed to be a coach. Also Doesn’t need the money or, as one of this country’s greatest athletes ever, the affirmation. So will he push through the bullshit for very long? That to me is the key question. J State was glad to just have the attention. Colorado will want more.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Deion will flame out in spectacular fashion at Colorado. Pretty confident in that. Another sizzle guy that will win a ton in the off-season and create a soft culture by coddling guys that otherwise wouldn’t give Colorado a sniff.

I don't think he coddles guys.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

Too bad Harbaugh and Meathead aren't still in conference, would love to see some egomaniacal postgame handshakes make their way back to the Pac

The Hardbaugh/PC rivalry from 2007-2014 was awesome
  • Options
    Founders Club
    He did well at a 1-AA program. He could be like most of the coaches there over the past 20 years and fail or leverage 7-5 into some SEC or ACC job. The guy was a prima donna asshole 30 years ago, but maybe he'll do well. I preferred watching him on NFL N over the woke corporate dreck on ESPN for my NFL lowlights.
  • Options
    FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

A couple things:

We have a new President who is serious about football. Hasn't been that way since Gordon Gee was here in the late 80s. There are increased resources being devoted, transfer issues being fixed and a serious splash hire.

Deion is hardly the soft player type if you've listened to him at all at his time at Jackson State.

Jackson State

I don't think he coddles guys.
    I’m probably wrong here, basically in full LIPO mode though. If Deion wins the way he is trying to win at CU it will be a total one of one move and unlike anything seen before in CFB. That’s where my initial skepticism came from and still kinda resides. But, he’s obviously a force of nature in certain regards and has a name and resume that is as unique as any we’ve seen before. Yet, my semi-old school football mindset is screaming that he wants to take shortcuts that rarely get rewarded.

EWIWBI post of the day I know.