Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Restaurants are cutting hours and closing early amid employee and customer crunch

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

lol @ 46X pretending like he went to some place that isn't an East Vancouver "sports bar and grill"

😆

Remember, this faggot lives in "civilization" so his 200lb wife deserves nothing but the best.

Main Event? Big Al's?
    Did I get it right?
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

SFGbob said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

Walked into a popular local place last night, they had some open tables but we were told it would be at least 45 minutes because the kitchen was so backed up. They had one person running around clearing tables and seating people. This is a place with locations all over the PDX metro area and beyond.

Red Robin?
    No.
    IHOP?
    Nope.
    Fancy like Applebee’s on a date night?
    I enjoy being married.

Nope.
    Dennys?
    Nope.

Too expensive.
    Buffalo Wild Wings?
    Gotta be Black Angus or Olive Garden
    Nope.
    Black Bear Diner?
    I'm too much of a racist to enter a "Black" Bear Diner. Are you kidding?
    . The Old Spaghetti Factory?
    I don't really care for spaghetti.

So No.
    haie said:

lol @ 46X pretending like he went to some place that isn't an East Vancouver "sports bar and grill"

😆

Remember, this faggot lives in "civilization" so his 200lb wife deserves nothing but the best.

Rent Fucking Free.

You'd jizz you little boy pants if you saw my wife, faggot. LOL...................

Remember, you're the one dealing with the baby fat and the wife undressing in the dark.

haie said:

😆

Main Event? Big Al's?
    People eat Big Al's food?

No to both.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

😆

Main Event? Big Al's?

No to both.
    Shari’s?

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

😆

Main Event? Big Al's?

No to both.
    Shari’s?
    I thought they closed those.

No.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Sambo's?

I actually recall eating in a Sambo's as a very young boy.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

46XiJCAB said:

Sledog said:

I've read quite a bit about African hunting and hunting/outdoor material in my time and quite a bit about maneaters. Some lions like to start at your feet and legs and work there way up! Talk about a bad way to go.

So kinda like going woodchipper?
    Only it lasts longer. Imagine being eaten by a Lion from the feet up? Leopards on the other hand snatch indigenous drunks that fall asleep by the fire. They bite them at the bas of their skull and the fangs penetrate so at least that's usually quick! Hyenas often just try to grab their face and people usually survive but missing most of their face.

Nature is a cruel bitch!
    Camped out in the bushveld while in South Africa. We could hear the hyenas out in the dark laughing. Nothing to do but shrug and hope they weren't hungry. That and get more drunk next to the fire. Hell of a thing to go take a piss like that.

Knew a guy from SA special forces who fought in Mozambique/Namibia. He had stories about guys being eaten alive while on patrol. They couldn't shoot the lions on account of it would have given away their positions to the communists. All they could do was get picked off one by one in the night.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2022
    SFGbob said:

Sambo's?

There is still one Lincoln City.

People forget the name Sambos was an amalgamation of the founders names. Pearl clutching racist leftists who see race in everything cancelled them.

Sambo the character was never black, he was an adventurous Indian boy (dot)
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,697
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Sambo's?

People forget the name Sambos was an amalgamation of the founders names. Pearl clutching racist leftists who see race in everything cancelled them.

Used to have one in Eugene. Still have a Lil Sambo's in Lincoln City. Once was Lil Black Sambo's.

Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

Sambo's?

Used to have one in Eugene. Still have a Lil Sambo's in Lincoln City. Once was Lil Black Sambo's.

I said there is one in Lincoln city. At one point there were about 100 locations. It’s basically Sharis.

Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

😆

Main Event? Big Al's?

No to both.
    Shari’s?

No.
    The Original Pancake House?
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Sambo (racial term)

Sambo is a derogatory label for a person of African descent in the English language. Historically, it is a name in American English derived from a Spanish term for a person of African and Native American ancestry. After the Civil War, during the Jim Crow era and beyond, the term was used in conversation, print advertising and household items as a pejorative descriptor for Black people. The term is now considered offensive in American[1] and British English.[2]

Etymology

Sambo came into the English language from zambo, the Spanish word in Latin America for a person of South American negro, mixed European, and native descent.[3] This in turn may have come from one of three African language sources. Webster's Third International Dictionary holds that it may have come from the Kongo word nzambu ('monkey')—the z of Latin-American Spanish being pronounced here like the English s. The Royal Spanish Academy gives the origin from a Latin word, possibly the adjective valgus[4] or another modern Spanish term (patizambo), both of which translate to 'bow-legged'.[5]

The equivalent term in Brazil is cafuzo. However, in Portugal and Portuguese-speaking Africa, cafuzo is used to refer to someone born of an African person and a person of mixed African and European ancestry.[6]

Another possibility is that Sambo may be a corruption of the name Samba (meaning "second son" in the language of the Fulbe, an ethnicity spread throughout the West African). Michael A. Gomez has argued that Sambo is actually a Muslim name and that men named Sambo in the South were likely to have been slaves who practiced Islam.[7]

Literature

Examples of Sambo as a common name can be found as far back as the 19th century. In Vanity Fair (serialised from 1847) by William M. Thackeray, the black-skinned Indian servant of the Sedley family from Chapter One is called Sambo. Similarly, in Uncle Tom's Cabin (1852) by Harriet Beecher Stowe, one of Simon Legree's overseers is named Sambo. Instances of it being used as a stereotypical name for African Americans can be found as early as the Civil War.

The name Sambo became especially associated with the children's book The Story of Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman, published in 1899. It was the story of a southern Indian boy named "Sambo" who outwitted a group of hungry tigers. Bannerman also wrote Little Black Mingo, Little Black Quasha, and Little Black Quibba.[8]

Places
    Sambo's Grave

Sambo's Grave is the 1736 burial site of a young Indian cabin boy or slave, on unconsecrated ground in a field near the small village of Sunderland Point, near Heysham and Overton, Lancashire, England. Sunderland Point used to be a port, serving cotton, sugar and slave ships from the West Indies and North America.

Sambo's restaurant chain
    The once-popular Sambo's restaurant chain used the Helen Bannerman images to promote and decorate their restaurants, although the restaurants were originally claimed to have been named after the chain's co-owners, Samuel Battistone and Newell Bohnett. The name choice was a contributing factor in the chain's demise in the early 1980s.[9]
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,470

Sambo (racial term)

Sambo is a derogatory label for a person of African descent in the English language. Historically, it is a name in American English derived from a Spanish term for a person of African and Native American ancestry. After the Civil War, during the Jim Crow era and beyond, the term was used in conversation, print advertising and household items as a pejorative descriptor for Black people. The term is now considered offensive in American[1] and British English.[2]

Etymology

Sambo came into the English language from zambo, the Spanish word in Latin America for a person of South American negro, mixed European, and native descent.[3] This in turn may have come from one of three African language sources. Webster's Third International Dictionary holds that it may have come from the Kongo word nzambu ('monkey')—the z of Latin-American Spanish being pronounced here like the English s. The Royal Spanish Academy gives the origin from a Latin word, possibly the adjective valgus[4] or another modern Spanish term (patizambo), both of which translate to 'bow-legged'.[5]

The equivalent term in Brazil is cafuzo. However, in Portugal and Portuguese-speaking Africa, cafuzo is used to refer to someone born of an African person and a person of mixed African and European ancestry.[6]

Another possibility is that Sambo may be a corruption of the name Samba (meaning "second son" in the language of the Fulbe, an ethnicity spread throughout the West African). Michael A. Gomez has argued that Sambo is actually a Muslim name and that men named Sambo in the South were likely to have been slaves who practiced Islam.[7]

Literature

Examples of Sambo as a common name can be found as far back as the 19th century. In Vanity Fair (serialised from 1847) by William M. Thackeray, the black-skinned Indian servant of the Sedley family from Chapter One is called Sambo. Similarly, in Uncle Tom's Cabin (1852) by Harriet Beecher Stowe, one of Simon Legree's overseers is named Sambo. Instances of it being used as a stereotypical name for African Americans can be found as early as the Civil War.

The name Sambo became especially associated with the children's book The Story of Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman, published in 1899. It was the story of a southern Indian boy named "Sambo" who outwitted a group of hungry tigers. Bannerman also wrote Little Black Mingo, Little Black Quasha, and Little Black Quibba.[8]

Places
    Sambo's Grave

Sambo's Grave is the 1736 burial site of a young Indian cabin boy or slave, on unconsecrated ground in a field near the small village of Sunderland Point, near Heysham and Overton, Lancashire, England. Sunderland Point used to be a port, serving cotton, sugar and slave ships from the West Indies and North America.

Sambo's restaurant chain
    The once-popular Sambo's restaurant chain used the Helen Bannerman images to promote and decorate their restaurants, although the restaurants were originally claimed to have been named after the chain's co-owners, Samuel Battistone and Newell Bohnett. The name choice was a contributing factor in the chain's demise in the early 1980s.[9]
    </block
    Is that why the Sambo mascot is from India? Name is made from the two founders names. But yeah everyone should be outraged!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo's

edited November 2022

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

😆

Main Event? Big Al's?

No to both.
    Shari’s?

No.
    I prefer the Unoriginal Pancake House.

No.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

😆

Main Event? Big Al's?

No to both.
    Shari’s?

No.

No.
    McCormick & Schmick's ?
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    Standard Supporter

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

😆

Main Event? Big Al's?

No to both.
    Shari’s?

No.

No.
    McCormick & Schmick's ?
    Are they even still in business?

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

😆

Main Event? Big Al's?

No to both.
    Shari’s?

No.

No.
    McCormick & Schmick's ?
    You got the Mc right.

No.
    SFGbob said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

😆

Main Event? Big Al's?

No to both.
    Shari’s?

No.

No.
    McCormick & Schmick's ?
    Are they even still in business?
    I believe they are.