Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Oregon's decision to go for it on 4th down at own 30 with Nix out

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,683 Founders Club
Incredibly dumb decision and amazing

Comments

• EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,189

Lanning IS NOT coaching material.
    ntxduck said:

If Oregon punts there, UW is at the Oregon 30 within 4 plays maximum anyways
    Assuming the good Penix shows up.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,739
    EwaDawg said:

ntxduck said:

What the fuck, he's probably the most talented UW QB ever. Fuck off with this.

EwaDawg said:

ntxduck said:

What the fuck, he's probably the most talented UW QB ever. Fuck off with this.
    He has thrown a couple of stupid picks AND ONE WAS EARLIER IN THIS GAME. Did you even watch it?
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,022
    edited November 2022
    ntxduck said:

If Oregon punts there, UW is at the Oregon 30 within 4 plays maximum anyways. Oregon’s only defense was keeping the ball
    If Nix is in and not injured then maybe based on the success they had running. With Thompson? Even running is hopeless.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    ntxduck said:

If Oregon punts there, UW is at the Oregon 30 within 4 plays maximum anyways. Oregon’s only defense was keeping the ball
    Probably would have only needed 2-3 plays at that point
  • BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,368
    edited November 2022
    Oregon plays like a team that doesn't believe they can win straight up.

They pulled the same shit against UCLA with that early onside kick and it worked. They've gone for it on 4th down now 24 times through 10 games. That's gotta be close to leading the country in the P5.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,464 Founders Club
    Lanning had to know Nix was avail to come back in if it went to overtime.

Even if he isn't Thompson can hand it off from the 25 and let his rb's get 5/6 yards anytime just as easily as Nix could have.

What a idiotic decision and one of several he gets to eat tonight.

They pulled the same shit against UCLA with that early onside kick and it worked. They've gone for it on 4th down now 24 times through 10 games. That's gotta be close to leading the country in the P5.

Chip used to go for it on 4th down all the time too. That would seem to me to be the opposite of lacking confidence.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,505 Swaye's Wigwam

godawgst said:

Lanning had to know Nix was avail to come back in if it went to overtime.

Even if he isn't Thompson can hand it off from the 25 and let his rb's get 5/6 yards anytime just as easily as Nix could have.

What a idiotic decision and one of several he gets to eat tonight.

Thompson is so bad, though, that even a running game that lumbered over 3 hundy can't find a way with him under center. He looked like he was struggling to even hand it off. When Thompson is in during that type of game situation, everybody in the stadium knows the play. With Nix there's a possibility of something else. The play of the game was UW baiting Nix to fly up the middle by clearing it out and the hit he took. That was ballgame right there. They don't have anybody behind Nix. Probably a worse situation than what UW has behind Penix.
    Going to need to gif that hit and Nix trying to chirp afterwards for the classics.
  • BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,368

Chip used to go for it on 4th down all the time too. That would seem to me to be the opposite of lacking confidence.
    Different vibe to me. Chip's teams were trying to hang 70 on you.

This Oregon team is praying they can get an early lead and keep it.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,505 Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

Lanning sees the “defense” in practice every day. He knows they can’t stop anyone. Especially an elite qb like penix.

I would onside kick every time and go for almost every 4th down with that D
    Same problem Washington has. Why I didn't understand not just continuing the shoot out.

Different vibe to me. Chip's teams were trying to hang 70 on you.

This Oregon team is praying they can get an early lead and keep it.
    Yeah, probably, but they haven't been that great in the first quarter in a lot of their games, and overall they rack up too many yards on the ground to say they're legitimately some gimmicky tricky team. I think they got/get too cute for their own good and it's just bad decision making more than anything. Generally speaking, when your running game is going like theirs was, the game should be yours to lose, so I don't see it as much they make those decisions because they think that's the only way they can win, and just more of a bad call. When Nix went down, and with the way Penix was playing, he was in a bit of a bad situation. I still say you give Penix a longer way to go and punt. If Nix is in, it's a legitimate decision, ballz but legitimate. With Thompson it made no sense.

• godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,464 Founders Club

Chip did it with a read zone offense no one had seen or had a answer for though