Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Spurs' foreigners

Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,842
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
There's the big three who are from France, Argentina, and where the f*** Duncan's from.

Diaw is also from France, and Splitter is from Brazil.

I don't think any of this is coincidence. Generally, foreign players play better team ball, pass better, don't play sloppy, and don't hog the ball, jack up shots as much, try to play one on five etc. The American players on the team also buy in to Popovich's system and display many of the same qualities.

Main pt: It'snot a coincidence they have so many foreign players. Pop and whoever the GM is passed on Caramello Anthony types.

Comments

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, I noticed that before the last series, Danny Green, Kawhi, Bonner and TD are the only Americans in the rotation. Duncan was born in the US Virgin Islands.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    That's right at the heart of why I don't like the NBA anymore. The concept of team basketball is a dinosaur.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Duncan is American.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Miami the two time defending champs all their best players are American.

They also play team ball too.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

FUCK YEAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R5A0pg4oN8

• Options
    Founders Club

Duncan is American.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, but isn't he from some territory? He's not from the Lower 48.
  • Options
    Founders Club

For every Miami, there are three teams that play one-on-five.

I had one of those free previews of the NBA League Pass a few months ago, and they were showing Nuggets/Kings (yes, I have no life...that's why I'm here...). There was so much fucking dribbling, one on one, and bad shots etc. That's is why I barely watch any NBA basketball until the last 5-10 games of the regular season. Even when the Sonics were around, I'd only watch like 30 games or so, save for '04-'05.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Duncan is American.

Hope this helps.

yryk, he's from the US CollegeDoog Islands

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Yeah, I noticed that before the last series, Danny Green, Kawhi, Bonner and TD are the only Americans in the rotation. Duncan was born in the US Virgin Islands.

Hi
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Duncan is American.

Hope this helps.

Neither is Obama
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Australia not a foreign country any more?
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Duncan is American.

Hope this helps.

Neither is Obama
    Neither is Palin nor McCain.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLercoaster.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    TheGlove said:

Duncan is American.

Hope this helps.

Neither is Obama
    Neither is Palin nor McCain.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLercoaster.
    Never heard of them.

Do they poast here?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

There's the big three who are from France, Argentina, and where the f*** Duncan's from.

I don't think any of this is coincidence. Generally, foreign players play better team ball, pass better, don't play sloppy, and don't hog the ball, jack up shots as much, try to play one on five etc. The American players on the team also buy in to Popovich's system and display many of the same qualities.

Main pt: It'snot a coincidence they have so many foreign players. Pop and whoever the GM is passed on Caramello Anthony types.

You nailed the reason why they have so many foreigners. Foreigners are typically more skilled than American one and done's, many of whom are great athletes, but not great basketball players.
  • Options
    Spurs are the best TEAM ball team I've ever seen. To have six guys score in double figures and have three others average more than eight a game is impressive. To have nine guys basically averaging double figures is impressive. They have like 10 guys with a PER rating around 15 or above but only Parker is above 20.

They really are going for the 2004 Pistons model only with far more firepower than that team could ever dream of.
  • Options

You nailed the reason why they have so many foreigners. Foreigners are typically more skilled than American one and done's, many of whom are great athletes, but not great basketball players.
    Reading this thread naturally I started to watch Tony Wroten highlight clips and think what if? I'm a big Wroten guy but he also represents the AAU player in today's generation. All talent, all athletic ability and not a single shred of basketball IQ or fundamentals.

Safe to say the Spurs don't have those types. Every player Pop puts out there knows how to play defense, knows how to make the right basketball play, knows how to shoot, knows how to work as a team. Why Miami will have their hands full with them as they typically prey on a team being stupid then go on a run to put the game away(sums up the Pacers series).

Outside of Chalmers, Miami is built the same way with a bunch of guys who know how to make the right basketball play. Lebron, Wade and Bosh all get their numbers but they sacrifice a lot. If anything you could argue Lebron's downfall at times is not being selfish enough.

Should be a fun series for those who like watching team basketball and for those who hate watching one on one nonsense. You'll see some of that one on one with Miami because Wade and Lebron are so talented(same with Parker). However, you won't ever feel like when they are doing that they are hurting their team.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2014

Spurs are the best TEAM ball team I've ever seen. To have six guys score in double figures and have three others average more than eight a game is impressive. To have nine guys basically averaging double figures is impressive. They have like 10 guys with a PER rating around 15 or above but only Parker is above 20.

They really are going for the 2004 Pistons model only with far more firepower than that team could ever dream of.

The 2004 and 2005 Piston teams. were interesting teams. They locked teams up with the two Wallace's and TayShaun Prince. They also had a balanced offense. They didn't have anywhere near the offense of the Spurs though or the deep bench.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

I had one of those free previews of the NBA League Pass a few months ago, and they were showing Nuggets/Kings (yes, I have no life...that's why I'm here...). There was so much fucking dribbling, one on one, and bad shots etc. That's is why I barely watch any NBA basketball until the last 5-10 games of the regular season. Even when the Sonics were around, I'd only watch like 30 games or so, save for '04-'05.
    You're not wrong but using it as reasoning to not like the NBA is bullshit. Who the fuck likes watching Jaguars vs Rams? Or any other shitty NFL teams. All leagues have terrible teams that are hard to watch.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

You're not wrong but using it as reasoning to not like the NBA is bullshit. Who the fuck likes watching Jaguars vs Rams? Or any other shitty NFL teams. All leagues have terrible teams that are hard to watch.
    The problem with the NBA is that it has 20 out of 30 teams (6 in the West, 14 in the East) that are terrible teams to watch.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Go Mavericks! Wait, they are out?