Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Balmer to buy clippers for 2 billion

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam

Comments

• Options
    QuornDawgQuornDawg Member Posts: 1,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The seattle clippers?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I'm sure I'll get smashed for this, but just bear with the thought for a second:

If I recall correctly, won't Ballmer have to put a down payment on this team while it's held up in legal hell for the foreseeable future?

Further, I'm fairly certain that the estranged wife of Sterling doesn't have the capability to enter into a legally binding agreement to sell the team on her own - a least without that being subject to a future lawsuit as well from her husband.

Her husband has also said that he has offers for the club in excess of $2.5B. And, if that is the case, would go even further to help out the potential lawsuit against the Ballmer purchase.

The NBA is going to be in a legal mess over this for a number of reasons. First, just getting Sterling out of the league and be forced to sell is going to be a pain. Add to that then the fact that given the Sterling's own internal issues, you're going to have another set of legal hurdles. Ballmer is going to be sitting there on the outside waiting for this mess to pass. And, if there is another buyer sitting with Donald Sterling in excess of the $2.0B that Ballmer is rumored to be offering, hard to not see the courts sitting there and saying that that's the offer that must be taken.

At that point, I'd expect Ballmer to enter into a lawsuit against Sterling and the NBA. And I'd also have to think that the NBA has been working with the estranged wife of Sterling to get this transaction done ASAP and to get Steve Ballmer at the forefront of it given that they want to get him in the league.

Ballmer's end game interest is getting a team. Is it possible that the backend play of this is that he either gets the the Clippers or he's able to enter into a lawsuit where his price for settling the lawsuit is the granting of an expansion franchise to him and Seattle?

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

I'm sure I'll get smashed for this, but just bear with the thought for a second:

If I recall correctly, won't Ballmer have to put a down payment on this team while it's held up in legal hell for the foreseeable future?

Further, I'm fairly certain that the estranged wife of Sterling doesn't have the capability to enter into a legally binding agreement to sell the team on her own - a least without that being subject to a future lawsuit as well from her husband.

Her husband has also said that he has offers for the club in excess of $2.5B. And, if that is the case, would go even further to help out the potential lawsuit against the Ballmer purchase.

The NBA is going to be in a legal mess over this for a number of reasons. First, just getting Sterling out of the league and be forced to sell is going to be a pain. Add to that then the fact that given the Sterling's own internal issues, you're going to have another set of legal hurdles. Ballmer is going to be sitting there on the outside waiting for this mess to pass. And, if there is another buyer sitting with Donald Sterling in excess of the $2.0B that Ballmer is rumored to be offering, hard to not see the courts sitting there and saying that that's the offer that must be taken.

At that point, I'd expect Ballmer to enter into a lawsuit against Sterling and the NBA. And I'd also have to think that the NBA has been working with the estranged wife of Sterling to get this transaction done ASAP and to get Steve Ballmer at the forefront of it given that they want to get him in the league.

Ballmer's end game interest is getting a team. Is it possible that the backend play of this is that he either gets the the Clippers or he's able to enter into a lawsuit where his price for settling the lawsuit is the granting of an expansion franchise to him and Seattle?

Won't flag but will just say this:

No.
  • Options
    Bleenor saw the Sterling implosion coming and knew that Ballmer would be the one to buy the Clippers years ago.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People need to just shut the fuck up about a team coming to Seattle. It's not happening anytime soon. The best chance for it to happen already came and went.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Flagged, fuck no, and disagree.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Tequila, the Clips are not worth 2.5 bil. Fuck, I don't see how 1.8 billion makes any sense.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

• Options
    I can't wait until these retarded optimistic Sonic fans realize how terrible this is in the attempt to bring a team to Seattle. That shitstorm will be hilarious.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I can't wait until these retarded optimistic Sonic fans realize how terrible this is in the attempt to bring a team to Seattle. That shitstorm will be hilarious.

The only advantage I see is that Seattle's expansion gets another advocate in the owners club to pair with Allen. Ballmer won't have a ton of influence up front, but there's a lot of billions behind the two of their names. Can't hurt anyway.

But yeah, having him financing a Seattle deal > having him own another team, clearly. Balllmer's way too business savvy to drop $2B to move a team from LA to Seattle.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    sorry, but the people who actually think the clippers are moving are flat out delusional.

The only shot is if something like milwaukee or charlotte falls apart
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Actually, this is a good move for Ballmer, the Clippers and the NBA. The $2 Billion price tag just inflated a lot of balance sheets. Owners are sure to back this 100%.
  • Options
    QuornDawgQuornDawg Member Posts: 1,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Rerun of this meme template

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I would be surprised if somehow this sale still doesn't get held up in the courts by Sterling ... I can't see him sitting idly by while his estranged ex bitch calls him mentally incapable.

But I'd absolutely agree that any idiot that thinks Ballmer is going to move the team to Seattle are FS. He's staking about 10% of his net worth on owning a team and I'm pretty sure he's not interested in lighting that 10% of his net work on fire. If he moved the team back to Seattle, he'd be lighting at least 25-50% of his investment on fire immediately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Sterling was declared mentally unstable so he doesn't need to approve.

I'm sure his wife will talk him out of it since he just received 2 billion for a franchise worth 575 million according to Forbes.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2 billion for the Clippers is nuts. Just a few years ago, they were possibly the worst organization in the NBA. It hardly even mattered that they played in LA because of the Lakers. Now, they are sold for 2 billion! I'm curious what the Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, and Celtics would sell for.