Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Husky Ghosts

Maybe every PAC 12 team has the same list of ghosts of their own. I doubt it. I think the Huskies are cursed with carrying a little too much weight on the reputation/relationship of their PAC 12 opponents. Net/net: there are very few gimmie W's year over year for UW - they have hobgoblins at virtually every turn. The gauntlet reads as follows... (alphabetically)

Arizona - Usually a W except when we expect one. They always produce some freak athlete, usually a mobile QB that unravels us - especially in Tuscon. Usually a win but can be a snake in the grass....
Arizona State - Where do I start? Can't fucking win in Tempe. No matter the year. Their stadium is kryptonite to UW. Playing them is like going to dinner with an ex girlfriend - pain will ensue
California - a riddle inside an enigma, they have our number not when we need to win but when we assume we are going to get a win. That fucking 2019 game typifies this relationship. The "Put Haener in" game will echo through eternity in this series.
Colorado - Aside from the early 90's and early 2000's, Boulder is usually our bitch but have proven to be a landmine when your competitive focus is down - or, in the case of last year, you just don't fucking care anymore...
Oregon - I can recall two wins in 20 years. Historically cannon fodder, but, let's face it, they own our ass. When we play them we are fucked with our pants on.
Oregon State - Mercurial uncertainty but usually one of the few precious W's you can predict on a schedule
Stanford - They crush us when we least expect it or need the win the most. Whether its at the library or at home they are pure motherfuckers that out coach us most every time
UCLA - Can't win in the Rose Bowl. It's that simple - doesn't matter who the teams are talent wise. UCLA usually equals a loss no matter what.
USC - Level boss.They come out of the tunnel and we shit our pants. I can recall three wins against them going back to the Jake Locker era. BTW, they have the nastiest stadium in the conference.
Utah - Guaranteed slug fest - if you don't eat your Wheaties you are going down. UW normally rises to the occasion and doesn't suffer blowouts - 50/50 ball if we win or not
Washington State - anything goes vs little brother. Never a gimmie, no matter the teams.

Comments

• TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam
    I have to say, it was a blast beating cuog (i.e., Leach) every year with Peterman. That was the stone-coldest of stone-cold locks. And it was pretty funny how every coach at UW knew they were going to kick Leach's ass -- and Leach was too obstinate to do anything about it.

Too bad that's all gone. We? are just a team now. Every conference game is in doubt -- especially on the road.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,470 Swaye's Wigwam
    UW has a dominant past history and currently against Utah, Arizona, Wazzu, Colorado, Cal and Beav. Those have always been wins. Stanford is painfully close and back and forth. Oregon has been losses recently. SC and UCLA (somewhat) are rough. As @DoogmanRefund said it is the ASU record that is embarrassing

• CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,470 Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

UW has a dominant past history and currently against Utah, Arizona, Wazzu, Colorado, Cal and Beav. Those have always been wins. Stanford is painfully close and back and forth. Oregon has been losses recently. SC and UCLA (somewhat) are rough. As @DoogmanRefund said it is the ASU record that is embarrassing

Since 1994 we are 6-21 vs Oregon. We can't call that "recently". That's 27 years of failure
    I meant recently compared to the start of college football record keeping
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,464 Founders Club
    Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

Since 1994 we are 6-21 vs Oregon. We can't call that "recently". That's 27 years of failure
    I meant recently compared to the start of college football record keeping
    soon to be 6-22.

I'm just glad recruiting and NIL doesn't matter even in the soon to be G5 Pac-12.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,369 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2022
    I think it would be better to list them in the size of ghost.

1. Oregon - the Ducks have mostly been better than UW the past 25 but how damn flawlessly they've mostly played and they're like 6-0 in close games since the series mattered defies logic.
    2. UCLA - I'm not looking it up, but didn't Don James have a losing record against the Bruins. In my lifetime, at home against UCLA has mostly been fine but playing at them is not only an automatic loss, but usually an embarrassing one.
    3. Arizona State - Like UCLA, mostly fine at home. Away has been an automatic loss no matter how good UW is and how bad ASU is.
    4. USC - The only one I'm fine with. The rare Pac-12 opponent I feel like UW usually plays pretty predictably and has stole some wins against them when USC was better than UW and gotten some injury breaks.

The rest I wouldn't even call ghosts

Stanford - Other than a rough patch 2017-2020, UW mostly plays the Tree how they should. They even had a little patch 2012-14 when UW played Stanford better than they should have.

Cal - Keep in mind how many years in a row they beat Cal. They lost to them when Cal was good and UW was bad then UW bounced back other than a shitty patch 2018-21 when Weaver and Wilcox for some reason got lit for them.

WSU - They've dominated WSU. They're not a ghost. The Cougs stole some in the 80s and the 2000s when both programs sucked - that's really it. They do have random shit players who have big games against UW. That's about it.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,263
    And people want to go to the B1G?
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,064 Founders Club
    Canadawg said:

According to @TheChart UW is 2-13 vs ASU since 2002. Prior to that, UW led the series 15-9.

Someone already posted above but the Babs, Gilby, Ty, Turner, Emmert era killed the UW football as a PAC-12 power. Despite that, UW still ranks in the top 20ish for all tim wins.

It’s easier to tear something down than to build it up.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,616 Founders Club
    Losing to Kal more than one in five games is inexcusable. I mean the last 30 years are not acceptable overall. Being .300 against whoregon and ASU is absolutely pathetic. ASU has had one really outstanding year and been mediocre most of that time.