Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Year Two is the new Year Three

2»

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,134 Founders Club

My point is that they operate as the program that can't. I think Washington could easily be a 12-2 program with Deboer, especially in a terrible Pac-12. Though I think letting Oregon and USC pull away so far from them in recruiting in recent seasons is going to make it a lot harder.

Beboer was a good hire to me, especially when you look at who Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, Texas and hell even Oklahoma have hired in recent years.

They needed to take the money they saved in hiring Deboer instead of Campbell supposedly and invest that in a real DC and position coaches. A real AD should say hell no, we're not bringing over the Fresno State D staff up here. Someone like Tim Derutyer should have been a floor. Should have also brought on a consultant for the offense who has been in the Pac-12 before as well. I'm fine with Grubb and Deboer but need someone who has been there before as well.

NIL and how to it could be better is a dead horse, but obviously that needs to happen too.

I know I've beat a dead horse on this topic, but is it wrong of me to not give a shit as to whether UW excels at NIL or not? I'm willing to accept the theoretical ceiling that this puts on the program.
    Sure, but based on early returns, they're going to have a very hard time ever beating Oregon or USC if they don't excel at NIL. Whether they are in the Big 10 of the Pac-10. Most likely, what Utah is right now is the ceiling. Maybe a little higher because of market, maybe a little lower because of lack of commitment to win and academis standards.
    It will be interesting to see if Oregon and USC can buy their way into the Natty Game.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,470 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2022
    I'm not worried about the talent available to Washington. Don't be fooled by the SEC bias

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Georgia and Tennessee aren't good or fair comparisons. They're programs that will spend a bunch on NIL and actually have big time college football players in their geography. UW won't spend money on NIL and the state and greater region is getting worse and worse at producing players that can play for Top 25 team and stars and the rare ones don't want to stick around.

The only way I could see UW having a Tennessee-level breakthrough is a coach that's an Urban/Chip/Harbaugh-level hire and I just have a hard time seeing that in Deboer so far.

The university of we can't

Jen loves these posts
    Is it wrong to call it as it is?

Jen’s never going to sign off on doing what is necessary to win at elite levels in the NIL world … and Upper Campus has shown zero signs of being ok with it either.

My point is that they operate as the program that can't. I think Washington could easily be a 12-2 program with Deboer, especially in a terrible Pac-12. Though I think letting Oregon and USC pull away so far from them in recruiting in recent seasons is going to make it a lot harder.

Beboer was a good hire to me, especially when you look at who Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, Texas and hell even Oklahoma have hired in recent years.

They needed to take the money they saved in hiring Deboer instead of Campbell supposedly and invest that in a real DC and position coaches. A real AD should say hell no, we're not bringing over the Fresno State D staff up here. Someone like Tim Derutyer should have been a floor. Should have also brought on a consultant for the offense who has been in the Pac-12 before as well. I'm fine with Grubb and Deboer but need someone who has been there before as well.

NIL and how to it could be better is a dead horse, but obviously that needs to happen too.

Doesn’t matter who the coaches are if you can’t get the players

I know I've beat a dead horse on this topic, but is it wrong of me to not give a shit as to whether UW excels at NIL or not? I'm willing to accept the theoretical ceiling that this puts on the program.
    If UW isn’t interested in playing the game by the current rules why should you care about what success looks like?

dtd said:

Meat went 12-2 and won teh rose bowel his 2nd year.

Pressure mounting on DeBoer
    The only pressure mounting on DeBoer would be coming from here
    If you look around there is noise about the defense being an emerging issue … notably from former players

There’s minimal pressure on KDB if he addresses it …

But if he just runs it back with similar results …
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,888 Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Georgia and Tennessee aren't good or fair comparisons. They're programs that will spend a bunch on NIL and actually have big time college football players in their geography. UW won't spend money on NIL and the state and greater region is getting worse and worse at producing players that can play for Top 25 team and stars and the rare ones don't want to stick around.

The only way I could see UW having a Tennessee-level breakthrough is a coach that's an Urban/Chip/Harbaugh-level hire and I just have a hard time seeing that in Deboer so far.

Jen loves these posts

Jen’s never going to sign off on doing what is necessary to win at elite levels in the NIL world … and Upper Campus has shown zero signs of being ok with it either.
    It's wrong to accept it and resign yourself to it

And to parrot the company line

That's what Jen wants. Shut up and pay and be happy with 8-4

We'd still be speaking English if we just accept things how they are

Tequilla said:

Jen loves these posts

It's wrong to accept it and resign yourself to it

And to parrot the company line

That's what Jen wants. Shut up and pay and be happy with 8-4

We'd still be speaking English if we just accept things how they are
    I’m with you on the accepting it part … gets me in a lot of trouble with those that accept it

Reality though is that until there is a change in leadership you’re going to get the results we are seeing

There’s a low percentage of people on Montlake that want to be accountable
    Tequilla said:

If UW isn’t interested in playing the game by the current rules why should you care about what success looks like?
    That's the point. I don't care that much anymore, because of the current rules.

And frankly my dear @Tequilla , I don't give a damn that UW isn't that interested.

• TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam
    The growing number of empty seats at Husky Stadium is proof that UW administration's plan is proceeding as desired.

TheHB said:

The growing number of empty seats at Husky Stadium is proof that UW administration's plan is proceeding as desired.

Just lose the North Side upper deck, and move the student section back to the 50. It's all good.

Tequilla said:

And frankly my dear @Tequilla , I don't give a damn that UW isn't that interested.

I know where you stand … it’s unfortunate but understandable

There’s a very high probability I’m directionally heading in your direction as I won’t renew for next season
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,678 Founders Club
    TheHB said:

No, they desperately want filled stadiums, brimming with loyal fans who will cheer and spend $$ for 6-6 football so the pressure is mostly off

TheHB said:

No, they desperately want filled stadiums, brimming with loyal fans who will cheer and spend $$ for 6-6 football so the pressure is mostly off
    This idea that anybody tied to UW wants empty stadiums is foolish on so many levels

You’re 100% right DJ in that they want your money but just as importantly don’t want to be accountable for results
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,505 Swaye's Wigwam

TheHB said:

Homerun. Jen is definitely the "Guys, we are doing the BEST WE CAN." Boss.
    Sadly, I think the only way Cohen gets fired is if the second-tier sports start sucking and the stadium continues to empty. This is the bass-ackwards world we live in as UW football fans.
    TheHB said:

Sadly, I think the only way Cohen gets fired is if the second-tier sports start sucking and the stadium continues to empty. This is the bass-ackwards world we live in as UW football fans.

We? prefer the label "non revenue" or "Olympic" sports thank you for very much.

TheHB said:

Point taken. I forget where I was for a minute.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,064 Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I know where you stand … it’s unfortunate but understandable

There’s a very high probability I’m directionally heading in your direction as I won’t renew for next season
    There’s a high degree of directional probability of directionally going in a certain direction as directed by the directional probability in this directional poast.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

TheHB said:

Keep rowing out of that category. Pretty sure those guys get decent donorship