Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

is the current higher ed system dead?

sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
Bill Gates says over half of all Universities in the US will be out of business within a decade.

Today I saw this

http://www.oftwominds.com/Nearly-Free-University.html

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,083
    not betting on it with my own. Gates can afford to say and think anything. these fuckers ... with every home run they hit, they whiff, badly, 10,000 times. they can afford those whiffs.

Gates is no more an oracle than Paul Allen.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,145 Founders Club
    Good. Too many retards go to college nowadays.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208

not betting on it with my own. Gates can afford to say and think anything. these fuckers ... with every home run they hit, they whiff, badly, 10,000 times. they can afford those whiffs.

So, your contention is Gates' failure rate on his ideas is 10,000:1? Can you back that up?

Also, how long do you think the parabolic rise in student loan debt can continue?
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    The job I got post college I could have done without going into a bunch of debt.

Playing Call of Duty professionally in my mom's basement isn't all that bad though. I get to smoke weed all day and an unlimited supply of Mountain Dew/Hot Pockets/Doritos.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

You have to be rich to say and think things?
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

Hire Pete Carroll then pop off.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    topdawgnc said:

Hire Maurice Cheecks then pop off.
    topdawgnc said:

You have to be rich to say and think things?
    of course not. it's a tongue-in-cheek comment. i just don't write checks based on everything that comes out of his mouth.
    topdawgnc said:

you got me there.

So, your contention is Gates' failure rate on his ideas is 10,000:1? Can you back that up?

Also, how long do you think the parabolic rise in student loan debt can continue?
    yes, I have a proprietary algorithm that will substantiate that precise claim. however, i'm having some trouble with the PTO and thus don't want to share it just yet.

Jesus.

how long? I don't fucking know. but, more to the point of the original assertion, do I think that the absolute number of universities in this country will be cut in 1/2 in 10 years? no, I do not.

let's get back together on this question in 10 and we'll compare notes.

Hey man...everyone deserves an education...

I like to be surprised when I give people a bunch of money to buy a good or service and then the price of that good or service goes up......I like to do that.

I like to be surprised when I give people a bunch of money to buy a good or service and then the price of that good or service goes up......I like to do that.
    I think the market will correct for this. Are there too many universities? Don't know. If there are, then those that can't compete will, and should, disappear. But I didn't read anything in the attached article that would cause me to believe that up to 1/2 of this nation's universities will be gone in 10 years.

If the government gets out of the business of funding everyone's fucking education (like it did mine), then schools will find a way to offer education for what people can and will afford for it.

There is one externality that plays in favor of schools sticking around: sentimentality. People don't view education as a commodity. Many personalize it. That's why universities can embark on huge cap campaigns, exceed their goals, then turn around a year later and tell everyone they need more. And they get it.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,780 Swaye's Wigwam

The job I got post college I could have done without going into a bunch of debt.

Shouldn't have taken loans out for that philosophy degree

I think the market will correct for this. Are there too many universities? Don't know. If there are, then those that can't compete will, and should, disappear. But I didn't read anything in the attached article that would cause me to believe that up to 1/2 of this nation's universities will be gone in 10 years.

If the government gets out of the business of funding everyone's fucking education (like it did mine), then schools will find a way to offer education for what people can and will afford for it.

There is one externality that plays in favor of schools sticking around: sentimentality. People don't view education as a commodity. Many personalize it. That's why universities can embark on huge cap campaigns, exceed their goals, then turn around a year later and tell everyone they need more. And they get it.
    The market can only correct it if it is allowed to. Right now the government is in charge.