Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Duck radio

46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Jerry Allen is still the worst play-by-play guy in CFB. Jerry, I don't care if your daughter is texting you nighty night from Wyoming. I want down, distance, a visual of what's actually happening on the field and the score.

Just F'n painful to listen to that crew. He's way worse than the last time I tuned in.

Comments

• Options
    SDCJRSDCJR Member Posts: 195
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Totally agree. Listening to the game on the radio is very frustrating. Gives the score maybe every 10 minutes. You would think Uncle Phil could hire a professional?
  • Options
    Typical Jerry call, 'here's a long pass downfield and it's............................ incomplete. He had a man down there.' Riveting stuff.
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Jerry Allen has to be one of the worst play-by-play announcers in college football. He has been around UO since 1987.

If you want to know the score to a game, he’ll get around to it eventually. If you want to hear an announcer bitch about the officiating endlessly, Jerry’s your guy.

https://www.ijpr.org/show/as-it-was/2020-01-22/as-it-was-jerry-allen-becomes-voice-of-oregon-ducks
  • Options
    He used to be a DJ in Medford. He did high school sports. Should have stayed there.
  • Options
    trublue said:

Jerry Allen has to be one of the worst play-by-play announcers in college football. He has been around UO since 1987.

If you want to know the score to a game, he’ll get around to it eventually. If you want to hear an announcer bitch about the officiating endlessly, Jerry’s your guy.

https://www.ijpr.org/show/as-it-was/2020-01-22/as-it-was-jerry-allen-becomes-voice-of-oregon-ducks

When I tuned into the Zona game I had to check the score online because he assumes everyone listening to him has been doing so since the opening kickoff.
  • Options

There was a poster called caughtdropped in honor of the duck radio guy. I assume this guy

More like #caughtdroppedintercepted! That's a Jerry trifecta.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Barry Thompkins was the Husky play-by-play guy for a couple years. I think it was around '86-87. Very frustrating to follow what was happening in the game. Plus, every time we played Cal he openly rooted for Cal with his tone of voice.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Barry Thompkins was the Husky play-by-play guy for a couple years. I think it was around '86-87. Very frustrating to follow what was happening in the game. Plus, every time we played Cal he openly rooted for Cal with his tone of voice.

“How do ya like it??”
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter
    46XiJCAB said:

Jerry Allen is still the worst play-by-play guy in CFB. Jerry, I don't care if your daughter is texting you nighty night from Wyoming. I want down, distance, a visual of what's actually happening on the field and the score.

Just F'n painful to listen to that crew. He's way worse than the last time I tuned in.

Jerry still calls games?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    SDCJR said:

He used to be a DJ in Medford. He did high school sports. Should have stayed there.

I thought he was in Grants Pass. Medford radio market was too big for Jerry.
  • Options

I always thought Bob Rondeau was very good. Maybe comparing him to Jerry Allen calling a game played a part.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    SFGbob said:

46XiJCAB said:

Jerry still calls games?
    Unfortunately, yes. He gave up BB I believe. I hear he bleeds Green/Yellow so don't say anything bad about him. He's an Oregon guy! eDuck morons. I would start threads about how horrible Jerry was just for kicks and giggles. I don't expect any defenders over here.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    46XiJCAB said:

SFGbob said:

46XiJCAB said:

Jerry still calls games?
    Unfortunately, yes. He gave up BB I believe. I hear he bleeds Green/Yellow so don't say anything bad about him. He's an Oregon guy! eDuck morons. I would start threads about how horrible Jerry was just for kicks and giggles. I don't expect any defenders over here.
    Jerry has to be in his late 70s. Should have been shown the door years ago.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

46XiJCAB said:

SFGbob said:

46XiJCAB said:

Jerry still calls games?
    I like a high level of enthusiasm in my play by play guy. Calling the game accurately comes second. That's what I like. Average eDuck poaster.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2022
    46XiJCAB said:

SFGbob said:

46XiJCAB said:

SFGbob said:

46XiJCAB said:

Jerry still calls games?
    I like a high level of enthusiasm in my play by play guy. Calling the game accurately comes second. That's what I like. Average eDuck poaster.
    I used to defend Jerry back in the day but that was mainly on account of the fact that I didn't listen to the games on the radio. After being forced to listen to Jerry's call of the game a few times, I apologized for the errors of my ways. He is awful. I've heard better play by play guys calling single A baseball games.

• Options
    Graduated from GPHS. Think he was on KMED in Medford. Could be wrong, though. But don’t remember him on any Grants Pass radio. There were only 2 stations in GP then.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    He asks, out loud on the radio, “What just happened there?” 15 times a game.

And how many times have you heard this one:

“Ok, we’re going to break for commercial and we’ll figure it all out when we get back.”

They’ll go to a commercial and you have to wait 3 minutes to find out if the Ducks converted a 3rd and 9.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    SDCJR said:

Graduated from GPHS. Think he was on KMED in Medford. Could be wrong, though. But don’t remember him on any Grants Pass radio. There were only 2 stations in GP then.

I'm sure you're probably right, I thought I recalled hearing him on KAJO a long, long time ago and just assumed he was a Grants Pass kind of guy. Jerry is a pretty slick customer, more likely he is a Medford sophisticate
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Don't know if they still do it, but after the games Jerry and Jorge would host a call in show where Oregon "fans" could call in and give their two cents on what they thought of the game. Now that was the most cringe worthy radio I'd ever heard in my life.