Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Lebron Record w/ Certain Ref's

66-53 in playoffs.

25-3 with Joey Crawford.

41-50 with anyone else.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Joey's clearly fair and impartial.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    That's some crazy shit. No wonder Joey didn't get fired after the Duncan incident. He has way too much dirt on the NBA for him to ever be fired.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Yet people like APAG think the league isn't rigged.

I mean Spurs down 2-0 to OKC and in the third quarter OKC shot 22 FT's to the Spurs 0.

League clearly has an agenda.
  • Options
    It's the thing that really sucks about the league is because you can see these things go on and it just takes away from the product. The product is really good right now ... just let it play out.
  • Options
    Although for you Pacers homers in here this series isn't because of officiating. Pacers have actually shot more FT's than Miami 94-87.
  • Options
    Gee what a shock that Joey Crawford is officiating tonight's important game 4 between Spurs and OKC.
  • Options
    GulagDawgGulagDawg Member Posts: 200
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I've been saying all along. It's a 3 peat conspiracy. At least LeBron will be playing baseball next year.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The NBA is superstar oriented. Bird and Magic showed Stern the formula. Before them, even the NBA Finals were tape delayed. The NBA wasn't shit (money wise) until Bird, Magic, and shortly thereafter Jordan.

When there are great, marketable superstars, the league will do anything in their power to get those guys on the biggest stage. It's kind of depressing, and like Tequilla said, it dilutes the product.
  • Options
    That's why nba was struggling from 2003-2007. I mean Nash won two MVP's and Dirk won one in that span. Kobe-Shaq broke up, MJ just left the league, Lebron was too young. Team USA hit rock bottom.

Then in 2008 Kobe made three straight finals, Lebron about to follow that up with four straight. Team USA is legit, league star driven, MVP's outside of Rose in 2011 were Kobe, Lebron and Durant.

League kicking ass due to those megastars. Why they fight so hard to protect Lebron, Durant, in their day Kobe, Shaq, MJ, etc.
  • Options

The NBA is superstar oriented. Bird and Magic showed Stern the formula. Before them, even the NBA Finals were tape delayed. The NBA wasn't shit (money wise) until Bird, Magic, and shortly thereafter Jordan.

When there are great, marketable superstars, the league will do anything in their power to get those guys on the biggest stage. It's kind of depressing, and like Tequilla said, it dilutes the product.

The funny thing is that in the 80s not only did you have enough super stars that the league let the results play out, but even the stars weren't immune to getting their fair share of adversity thrown their way. Trying to pin point exactly when/where the league really started getting dirty with officiating is actually pretty easy.

In the 80s, you could say that the league started swallowing the whistles a bit during the '84 Finals after the McHale clothesline of Rambis. However, the Lakers pissed away Game #2 (and a 2-0 lead on the road) before running away with Game #3. That had more to do with a series where the game was decided by the players on the court and the will eventually shifted away from Showtime towards more of a physical game that Boston favored.

In '87, Bird got tossed from a game in the ECF due to fighting with Laimbeer whom the officials in today's game would have tossed at least 3-5 times a game. In the famous Game #5 where Bird stole the ball, many forget that before that play Bird got his drive to the hoop blocked and the ball was knocked off of Boston on a 50/50 call prior to that inbounds pass.

In the '88 Finals, you could try to say that the Lakers benefited in Game #6 with free throws, but it's hard to do so when looking at that Pistons team because they never gave up layups. If you were committed enough in going to the basket, you'd get to the line. Plus, in Game #7, Detroit was +8 attempts from the line on the road.

Throughout the late 80s, Jordan was tied into the Jordan rules with Detroit where he got abused but there wasn't a protection for him from the officials.

The first instance where I felt like you could look at officials influencing the outcome of a game was in the Phoenix - Seattle Game #7 in 1993. The next time I think it started becoming obvious was in the '97-'98 region with the Bulls and in particular against Utah in the Finals. Then you started seeing it happen often with the '00 - '02 Lakers, '06 Heat, etc.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

The funny thing is that in the 80s not only did you have enough super stars that the league let the results play out, but even the stars weren't immune to getting their fair share of adversity thrown their way. Trying to pin point exactly when/where the league really started getting dirty with officiating is actually pretty easy.

In the 80s, you could say that the league started swallowing the whistles a bit during the '84 Finals after the McHale clothesline of Rambis. However, the Lakers pissed away Game #2 (and a 2-0 lead on the road) before running away with Game #3. That had more to do with a series where the game was decided by the players on the court and the will eventually shifted away from Showtime towards more of a physical game that Boston favored.

In '87, Bird got tossed from a game in the ECF due to fighting with Laimbeer whom the officials in today's game would have tossed at least 3-5 times a game. In the famous Game #5 where Bird stole the ball, many forget that before that play Bird got his drive to the hoop blocked and the ball was knocked off of Boston on a 50/50 call prior to that inbounds pass.

In the '88 Finals, you could try to say that the Lakers benefited in Game #6 with free throws, but it's hard to do so when looking at that Pistons team because they never gave up layups. If you were committed enough in going to the basket, you'd get to the line. Plus, in Game #7, Detroit was +8 attempts from the line on the road.

Throughout the late 80s, Jordan was tied into the Jordan rules with Detroit where he got abused but there wasn't a protection for him from the officials.

The first instance where I felt like you could look at officials influencing the outcome of a game was in the Phoenix - Seattle Game #7 in 1993. The next time I think it started becoming obvious was in the '97-'98 region with the Bulls and in particular against Utah in the Finals. Then you started seeing it happen often with the '00 - '02 Lakers, '06 Heat, etc.
    The first example of shady refs was game 6 of 1988 NBA Finals. The Pistons were up one and Kareem misses a rare sky hook which they called a BS foul on. He made both free throws.

Then in game 7 down by 3, the Pistons inbound the ball and the crowd literally rushed the court as time was still going on and Magic closelines Thomas to end the series.

They went over all that in a recent 30 for 30 on the Bad Boys. To just gloss over that is ridiculous.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

The first example of shady refs was game 6 of 1988 NBA Finals. The Pistons were up one and Kareem misses a rare sky hook which they called a BS foul on. He made both free throws.

Then in game 7 down by 3, the Pistons inbound the ball and the crowd literally rushed the court as time was still going on and Magic closelines Thomas to end the series.

They went over all that in a recent 30 for 30 on the Bad Boys. To just gloss over that is ridiculous.
    If you're quoting Bill Laimbeer as the source of that being a bad call, then wow, just wow.

If you look at the play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYPHhY-MGj4), you'll see that it's very clear that Laimbeer went through Kareem's body on the sky hook trying to block the shot (which is FS because there's no way that he's ever blocking that shot). Moreover, the Pistons had the ball with a chance to win the game with 14 seconds on the clock. So to say that the refs "gifted" the game to the Lakers is just flat out BS.

In Game 7, Magic didn't come anywhere close to taking Thomas down with a close line. If anything, there was a trip. As for the crowd rushing the court, that was customary at the time. I'd agree that the officials should have done a better job of delaying the game and forcing the court to be clear. But again, that wasn't something that was done at the time.

The Pistons blaming the officials for losing in '88 is part of the reason why I don't think that they've ever gotten the credit that they deserve. They were a great team. But they were also full blown POS. Win the 4th quarter of Game #6 and they win the title. They got outscored by 15 in the 3rd quarter of Game #7. Handle their business and they win 3 titles in a row.

• Options
    Tequilla that was one of the more famous ref jobs but you live in this world where everything was better in the NBA in the 80's and shitty now.

You can't bring up shady officiating and not bring up that 1988 Pistons-Lakers events that I just posted.

Oh BTW the Lakers shot 43 FT's in game 6 as well.

Ed Rush officiated that game as well as that famous Sonics game 7.

Ed Rush was also the guy who just recently resigned as head of Pac-12 refs for encouraging them to T up Sean Miller during the Pac-12 tournament. Guy is pretty fucking shady.

He was the Joey Crawford before he came along.
  • Options
    Ed Rush was a POS - no doubt about that.

But if you watch the video, was Kareem bumped or not on that play? It was a foul.

I don't care about the number of free throws provided that there's a reason for it. Those Lakers teams, and in particular James Worthy, routinely attacked the basket drawing fouls.

And regarding the Sonics in '93, no question that the fouls were a huge issue in Game 7 ... but Seattle also shot 36 free throws. That series though was lost in Game 5 when Majerle hit 8 of 10 3's. That was the game that they had to win and they win that game unless Majerle didn't have the game of his life.
  • Options
    So didn't you say earlier in the 80's the refs allowed stuff to go on and let players decide the game?

Just because I pointed out something that doesn't go with your conclusion doesn't mean I'm off.

I have never believe refs dictate a champion. However there has been some shady moments. The 1988 sequence was pretty shady and Ed Rush was the official in that game.

Keep thinking the 1980's had no bias officiating.
  • Options
    Generally speaking, I have always felt when looking back at historical games that the officiating was generally consistent on both sides during the game.

There have been instances where there were more touch fouls called (throughout a game) and instances where you could get away with bloody murder (see the '81 East Finals) without a call. But generally speaking, the calls were more often than not consistent going both ways.

I can completely understand why someone would say that Kareem shouldn't have got the call there. But it was a foul. I'd have to go back and watch that game to determine whether or not the officiating was blatantly bad. But for all of the games that I've watched of those Lakers teams, they always did a good job of attacking the basket - which tends to get you to the line more often than not.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's going to be pure joy watching Sterling scorch earth this league pretending to be sport.
  • Options

It's going to be pure joy watching Sterling scorch earth this league pretending to be sport.

An enemy of my enemy is my friend. I never thought I'd see the day where I'm rooting for Sterling but I am here.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,897
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited May 2014
    I thought Sterling was looking to actually sell.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary